Ineos Grenadier (not dead)

Orange Cola

Re: Ineos Grenadier (not dead)

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:27 am
Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:18 am How many Land Cruisers can fit down UK green lanes?

How many Land Cruisers are used as the go to 4x4 world wide?
i wonder how our standard 2.4m wide carpark spaces compare to the rest of the world?
Parking space size has been a problem for years, the Defender isn't bringing anything new.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:48 am Land Cruisers don’t sell here anyway.

It’s a shame that they’ve moved the defender so far away from what it was.
1) Yes they do, they've sold LC's here for decades! :lol:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/land-cruiser/

2) The LC and Defender are sold all over the world, not just in the UK ;)

3) They weren't selling the old Defender by the bucket load, it had to change from what it was.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yes, I realise they do offer them for sale, they don’t actually sell many though :roll:

The LC shouldn’t be a direct competitor for the Defender anyway. That’s what the Disco/RR are for.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The more I look at it the more it’s now not for me. Which sucks as there is not much out there with a petrol engine I like.

Our local supermarket doesn’t have big enough spaces, that extra width will be a real hinderance. The L405 RR we had for a week was too big for getting kids in and out without parent and child and this is the same width.

I hope the Grenadier isn’t crap :lol:

Dave!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:09 pm Yes, I realise they do offer them for sale, they don’t actually sell many though :roll:

The LC shouldn’t be a direct competitor for the Defender anyway. That’s what the Disco/RR are for.
What?! The Defender isn't just sold in the UK and neither is the Land Cruiser!!! The LC sells circa 40,000 a year which is ballpark what the Defender is aiming for.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/373536/toyot ... sales-10m/

The Defender is absolutely targeting the LC sales, how can it not be?! Here is just one example...

Red Cross LC's:

Red Cross Defender:

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Where did I say that either car was or wasn’t sold anywhere?

I’m looking at it as a proposition in the UK.

UK sales for the Land Cruiser are very low and it’s more of a competitor for the Disco than the defender imo.

Like I say I’m sure it’ll be a success, it’s just not that appealing to me.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

*Prado
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

New Defender would be ideal for the Red Cross and their habit of paying victims for sex in the back of their cars 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:23 pm Where did I say that either car was or wasn’t sold anywhere?

I’m looking at it as a proposition in the UK.

UK sales for the Land Cruiser are very low and it’s more of a competitor for the Disco than the defender imo.
I’ve literally just posted an example where the Defender is a clear competitor to the LC :lol:

Given both the Defender and LC global sales figures are similar can you back up your statement that LC UK sales volume is very low compared to the UK sales forecast of the Defender?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

This got heated!

I can’t even remember the last time I saw a LC on the road in the UK?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I couldn’t find sales numbers but there were only 62 new registrations last year according to how many left.

Is your bonus tied to getting people on the internet to admit the like the defender? :lol:
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

What width is the LC? Given that's where this argument stems from. Looks nothing like 2m to me

And where's JL to tell us that the above isn't a proper LC anyway? :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Full size LC is about the same size as the Defender. The (not real LC) one that OC posted is about 4 inches narrower :lol:
An absolute unit
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:46 pm I couldn’t find sales numbers but there were only 62 new registrations last year according to how many left.

Is your bonus tied to getting people on the internet to admit the like the defender? :lol:
That’s a fantastic source, shame it’s not official. Or accurate.

The LC production is circa 40,000 cars a year and it’s sold in around 170 countries world wide, of which last year the UK took 857 sales. The UK is not ‘very small numbers’ of LC sales volume at all, not unless you want to conveniently change your argument comparing it to a Ford Fiesta or something?

https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/f ... 20June.pdf

And I’ve not got any links to that at all.

Edit to add: the LC figures above don’t include the LC commercial, of which they’ve sold 74 of this year already. So there’s already more then 857 sales of them in the last year or so.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:47 pm Full size LC is about the same size as the Defender. The (not real LC) one that OC posted is about 4 inches narrower :lol:
The current shape Land Cruiser in the UK (Prado in other markets) is 1885mm wide, so about four and a half inches narrower than the new Defender. The ones linked by OC were narrower but they were out of production 10 years ago. Coincidentally I parked next to a current shape Land Cruiser in a tight hotel car park last weekend and it was apparent that it fitted the spaces well, better than my CLS. Being tall doesn't make it impractically sized.

I didn't notice any reply from OC to my query about whether the new Defender fits through every obstacle on LR's test tracks.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:55 pmI didn't notice any reply from OC to my query about whether the new Defender fits through every obstacle on LR's test tracks.
I don’t know, I don’t have anything to do with it.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:47 pm Full size LC is about the same size as the Defender. The (not real LC) one that OC posted is about 4 inches narrower :lol:
Picking and choosing which Land Cruiser is a "real one" or not is really clutching at straws, especially when there is a Defender 90 to compete against the smaller wheelbase offerings :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You seem way more invested in this than me so I’m going to tap out.

The difference I pointed out between the two sizes of LC were width not wheelbase though 😉
An absolute unit
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It's because someone on the internet is wrong ;)

Evidently width doesn't matter all that much to 90+% of customers, on the whole cars have been getting bigger for years and although people complain they can't fit into parking spaces any more the evidence is that folk are ok with that and are happy to live with tight parking bays because they still feel it's more important to have, or they want a bigger/wider car all of the other times.

As for the original topic about whether the new Defender fits into "Defender tracks" across a field or through gates, again, doesn't seem to matter enough to customers that it's influenced the design of the car when doing the research, plus other competitor cars are wider than the original Defender anyway: see Japanese 4x4's which replaced the Defender as the Farmer workhorse.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:16 pm
Picking and choosing which Land Cruiser is a "real one" or not is really clutching at straws, especially when there is a Defender 90 to compete against the smaller wheelbase offerings :lol:
Well there's one model of Land Cruiser sold in the UK in two different wheelbases, and one model of Defender sold in the UK in two different wheelbases.

Picking and choosing? :lol: