Wedding rings

mik

Wedding rings

Post by mik »

With apologies for any insensitivity.... it’s normal to go through loads of them during the same marriage yeah? :oops:

We got married pretty young and have more than 20yrs under our belts :shock:

> 1st ring was a band with a wibbly fiddly bit on it. Thought it looked quirky. Mistake. Would catch on everything. Eventually broke it cos it caught on some shizzle and nearly took my finger with it.
> 2nd ring was an interim silver band as we had no cash, until I got
> 3rd ring. Nothing expensive but mrs never loved it and always wanted to get me something else. After a couple of years....
> 4th ring stainless steel & gold. Less than £100 but we both liked it and it lasted 10+ years. Recently it had become increasingly difficult to remove or put it on. Clearly developing increased finger muscle. Got to the point where it was causing pain...so....
> 5th ring. Up a size or two, and I just wanted something simple. £20 tungsten carbide band. Jubbly.

You all go through loads of these too yeah?

NotoriousREV

Re: Wedding rings

Post by NotoriousREV »

Married 17 years and I’m still on the same ring (complete with twiddly fiddly bit)
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

One of us is weird
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Had the same one for the full 4 years. Thank fuck. I do worry that I'll lose it because it used to feel loose, but either my finger has got bigger or I've got used to it because I don't really think about it much anymore unless I'm swimming in the sea!
mik

Post by mik »

On our honeymoon we met a lovely / bit mental Irish couple whose job was creating Irish Bars abroad. They collected suitable tat, and would be brought in to make the paint look aged/smokey.

Bloke had dived into the waves on day1 of his honeymoon only for his ring to fly off. They couldn’t find it. They were quite upset.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

12 years and still the original.

We had the date of our wedding engraved on the inside of our wedding rings; she thinks it’s romantic, I think it’s bloody useful so I can check when our anniversary is.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mine is titanium so I bloody hope it lasts at least 20 years - can’t be resized though so it won’t if I get too fat.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Married 8yrs this September, still on same ring- £50 titanium with a small gold band around the middle. Took me ages to find one as it’s a little dainty as far as men’s rings are concerned- I have pretty slim fingers so the usual size of men’s rings is too big
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

11yrs and original. No matter how many times I lose it, somehow it still turns up. I have no idea how much it cost because who remembers that sort of thing - although I guess maybe you do if you change them regularly ;)
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Married 8 years - first was a palladium wedding ring that was a size or so too big.... so i lost it - spent ages looking for it along dog walking routes etc. Didn't find after a couple of weeks so bought a cheap silver replacement to wear.

Found original ring inside bedding after we'd rotated through several sets, obviously had slid off when it was changed last time it was used as it was inside the duvet cover in bottom corner, so been using silver one to hold palladium one in place so have 2 on now - dunno if anyone notices or if they do maybe they think i'm one of those oddities who insists that the man should have an engagement ring as well in the name of equality :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just don't wanna lose it again as i like telling people it was the most expensive part of our wedding (that and we stealthed it having not told anyone until day before - very close friends and family only, everyone else found out via facebook - funnily lots of people were very very pissed off about that - but we both don't like the attention and didn't have time nor money for a big do) and that the whole thing cost less than £500 for rings/fee's etc.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mine is in a drawer somewhere - I think it was tungsten and about £20. I don’t do jewellery.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

mik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:27 pm On our honeymoon we met a lovely / bit mental Irish couple whose job was creating Irish Bars abroad. They collected suitable tat, and would be brought in to make the paint look aged/smokey.

Bloke had dived into the waves on day1 of his honeymoon only for his ring to fly off. They couldn’t find it. They were quite upset.
His name wasn’t Colin, was it??

I’ve avoided this trouble for 21 years by not getting married ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm not married, but if I can't avoid it forever I'll just get a cheap basic one.

I've already said several times that I won't wear one. I don't like rings and wouldn't be able to wear one at work anyway and couldn't be arsed taking it on and off every day / end up losing it.
Cheers, Harry
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Married for nearly 8 years and lost first 2 1/2 years ago. Was a couple of sizes too big and it fell off on the beach during winter. Wasn't too bad normally but as soon as I got cold, it could slip off easily. The original was something like £300, insurance valued a replacement at £1250 (might have said it was a different metal to what I had) so bought a replacement for £495 and a couple of watches with the difference. Funnily, I parked up at the exact place I lost it two weeks and there was a guy with a metal detector so I asked if he found anything to let me know but it's probably a few feet below the surface now.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I wouldn’t wear one, didn’t like it etc but decided to wear it for the honeymoon to feel a bit more married I think.

After 2 weeks it wasn’t an annoyance and it’s been on for the last 7 years. It’s Titanium and I have to take it off when I’m working, I normally just loop it through my trainers and leave it in my work bag.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pm
We had the date of our wedding engraved on the inside of our wedding rings; she thinks it’s romantic, I think it’s bloody useful so I can check when our anniversary is.
Ha! Same here.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Same one since we got married 10 years ago. I almost never take it off and it fits perfect, so no worry about dropping it.
Last edited by DeskJockey on Mon May 25, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

As a child I watched one of the more graphic reality-tv ambulance shows. The patient was a guy who had jumped up to swing on a bus stop while pissed - when he let go, his ring did not, and his finger was degloved. I learnt a new word that day and gained a phobia of wearing rings.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE THAT 😱
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

You’ve obviously never done a first aid course then 😂