Wedding rings

Mito Man

Re: Wedding rings

Post by Mito Man »

I’m completely useless with gore. If I were to turn up to something gruesome my first reaction would be to vomit pretty much continuously until someone less useless arrives.
How about not having a sig at all?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

It's why you don't see climbers wearing rings - getting one snagged on something on the wall is bad, getting it snagged on a fast moving rope passing through a belay device is *very* bad.

It's the main reason I haven't worn one in the last 5-6 years (previously took it off for climbing, but kept losing it).

Mrs. Nef and I have never been married, but we got £10 Celtic silver rings when we moved to Scotland. That first ring saved my hand when it got slammed in a door, but cracked when trying to bend it back into shape. It's replacement got too small for me around 2010, and Mrs. N added it to her collection. The final replacement, after many visits to the lost property at the climbing wall, now sits in a draw.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Y’all should get a classy and understated finger tattoo 😉
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:21 am Y’all should get a classy and understated finger tattoo 😉
How about a stylised moustache?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

We had platinum wedding rings made by a local chap who did a small amount of bespoke stuff but his main income was engraving high end shotguns. They're only plain bands fwiw and it was a better price than a high Street jeweler. Mine was a smidge too big and fell of a couple of time. Easy enough to resize and I'll be 10yrs with mine now (and I still have the same ring 😉)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:23 am
ZedLeg wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:21 am Y’all should get a classy and understated finger tattoo 😉
How about a stylised moustache?
A love heart and your other half’s initials would be more appropriate.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:45 am
mik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:27 pm On our honeymoon we met a lovely / bit mental Irish couple whose job was creating Irish Bars abroad. They collected suitable tat, and would be brought in to make the paint look aged/smokey.

Bloke had dived into the waves on day1 of his honeymoon only for his ring to fly off. They couldn’t find it. They were quite upset.
His name wasn’t Colin, was it??

I’ve avoided this trouble for 21 years by not getting married ;)
No. Girls name was Jenny. Can’t recall blokes name, but it defo wasn’t Colin.
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]KevH18[/mention] you might want to edit that, in case someone you don’t want to read it... does. :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yes never going to be really, was it. :lol:

I knew a guy called Colin who did that exact job - buying Irish tat for Irish Pubs and flogging if round the world.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I have been married 18 years and both of us still have the original rings. Mine is palladium and 18ct White Gold and was designed and made for me specifically so fits perfectly. It is all hammer beaten on the outer surface so no worry about wee scuffs etc.

I am fine with remembering numbers so no engraving, I am more likely to get her name wrong than her birthday or the day we met or wedding anniversary!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Peterlplp wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:36 am As a child I watched one of the more graphic reality-tv ambulance shows. The patient was a guy who had jumped up to swing on a bus stop while pissed - when he let go, his ring did not, and his finger was degloved. I learnt a new word that day and gained a phobia of wearing rings.
One of my mates was using his shoulders to help someone put up football nets on those little hooks once. Lost his balance, same result, guy on shoulders finger was no more. It does cross my mind occasionally. :D
mik

Post by mik »

There is a particular section in Consider Phlebas By Iain M Banks which involves a group known as The Feeders. Which all of you above should read. :)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

mik wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:04 pm There is a particular section in Consider Phlebas By Iain M Banks which involves a group known as The Feeders. Which all of you above should read. :)
:lol:
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:04 pm There is a particular section in Consider Phlebas By Iain M Banks which involves a group known as The Feeders. Which all of you above should read. :)
your link doesn’t work.
mik

Post by mik »

PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

We have lived together for 35 years, but if we ever get married I wouldn't like to wear a ring. The only acceptable 'jewellery' for chaps is watches IMO. (I've got five of those though).
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Paul spotted earlier
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Nah, that guy’s too young... ;)

(Sorry Paul.. :P )
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

mik wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:50 am @KevH18 you might want to edit that, in case someone you don’t want to read it... does. :D
Who reads the internet anyway?!
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Divorced in 2015. Found my wedding ring in its box in some salopettes a couple of years later.

When we got married I thought I’d just wear it for special occasions but I found I pretty much wore it the whole time.