ISS “incredibly bright” tonight

nuttinnew

Re: ISS “incredibly bright” tonight

Post by nuttinnew »

Spotted, with the support craft seemingly further behind than t'other night, and another satellite crossing their path.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is it going past right now? Big old thing moving fast up above
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ Yup, that was it :)
I was lucky last night; I looked at the clock and it was 23:00, the time for the ISS 22:56. The site said it was visible for 5 mins, so I turned my head to the right, looked out the window, saw it :D Not for long, better than not at all.

Next one is tonight at 23:40 for 6min.
Tomorrow at 21:21 for <1 min :P , 22:52 for 6 min.

Link to NASA for timings; https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Caught it tonight - very cool 8-)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I just noticed it whilst walking back from my car. Looked to me like a brighter dot and a less bright one as it was overall elongated. Presumably it was orientated such that both it’s
main panels were directly aimed at earth. Didn’t have my binoculars to be sure though.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I didn't notice that but it could be the supply craft docked to it 8-) It docked yesterday iirc and was visible on it's own following the ISS before that.

Slightly o/t; there have been a lot more 'planes about, day and night. Having got used to their absence it almost seems like littering.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was in London today and was surprised at the somewhat steady stream of planes approaching Heathrow. Have noticed many more contrails too as you say.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Re contrails; some of it might be different weather making them (more) visible, and like most things, once you spot one you keep spotting them.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

The skies are definitely less clear around here with a noticeable build up of contrails, it’s nowhere near the levels of traffic we used to get though.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Heads up for some cool tv viewing later tonight - first manned SpaceX launch:

A Nasa/ SpaceX launch will broadcast live on NASA TV beginning at 5:15pm BST on May 27, leading up to liftoff at 21:33pm BST, and then continuing through docking the next day
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:00 am Heads up for some cool tv viewing later tonight - first manned SpaceX launch:

A Nasa/ SpaceX launch will broadcast live on NASA TV beginning at 5:15pm BST on May 27, leading up to liftoff at 21:33pm BST, and then continuing through docking the next day
8-) hopefully I can get the kids interested in this.
Left over crest; tightens.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The rocket will lift-off at around 4.33pm EDT (9.33pm BST), and if it all goes to plan, it means we could see the rocket flying over the UK 15 minutes later, which will be around 9.45-9.50pm.

According to MeteorWatch, the craft will pass over the UK from a westerly direction and will head east, where it may be visible in the southern part of the sky as it flies past for around three to four minutes.

They state: "As the Spacecraft passes over the UK, we may see just the one or a collection of objects looking like bright stars moving across the sky. The sky will be fairly light for some especially for observers in places in the north such as Scotland. The craft should be bright enough to follow once you catch a glimpse of it."
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Ta for the heads up 8-)
Sky is lighter for sure; since about the 23rd May we haven't had night and won't do again until about 20/21 July.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Very bright tonight...

Anyone know what was the object that went ahead of it. Preceded it by about 90 seconds, travelling faster, along a very similar orbit but it wasn’t as bright???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I saw the ISS go past then one of the starlinks nice and bright then sod all. Just sat by the Chiminea chilling and watching the night sky while camping in the garden 😂

My 6yr old saw them too which was cool. Tomorrow's tiredness tantrums will be anything but!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Looked good with the moon 8-)
Not sure but there have been something trailing it. It was so faint I'm not sure if it was there or not.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I was out fron chatting to the neighbour and commented that it would be a good night to see it (I hadn't checked times for tonight). He said he'd tried a couple of times but hadn't seen anything. Just then I looked up and there it was! 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Result!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Annoyingly I've only just noticed something at the bottom of the list of times on the ISS site; a list of times CYGNUS is visible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygnus_(spacecraft) . The times go back a week, missed opportunities :(

Btw, 22:59 3 mins tonight for the ISS.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Saw it finally last night. Cheers gents 😎