Aches and pains

Nefarious

Aches and pains

Post by Nefarious »

Bit of random research out of general curiosity, and given the sample on here is mostly 30 and 40-something men. How much do various bits and pieces hurt on a daily basis?

1 - Not all all. If a shoulder/hip/knee/back etc starts to hurt, I go straight to the GP/physio
2 - A bit, occasionally. Not much to speak of, but there's something that I'm aware of time to time
3 - Something, minor but constant/frequent. Doesn't stop me doing anything, but there is a niggle.
4 - Something annoying and constant/frequent that causes me to change behaviour (i.e. not do some activities I used to/would like to do)
5 - Something constantly painful. Needing medication/treatment and impacting daily life.
6 - Something debilitating and requiring major modification of daily life (e.g. assistance walking, vehicle modification, hand rails in the house etc etc).

Would also be interested in what action you might take (painkillers/anti-inflamatories, exercise, physio-treatment etc), and how effective you feel that is.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Orange Cola

Re: Aches and pains

Post by Orange Cola »

1, and I don’t go to the GP/physio as soon car I’ve been able to fix stuff myself.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I get some sporadic shoulder pain which can be quite uncomfortable, it's always muscle related and usually a rub in the effected muscle (mum is a qualified sports massage therapist and I've been taught how to find and treat this issue) eases it and it goes on it's own over the course of a couple of days with only the daily rub as treatment. I assume it's down to the way I sleep (on my side) as the trouble is usually on the left and occurs after I get up in the morning.

That's it though.

So i'd say a 2.
Last edited by drcarlos on Tue May 12, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I'd say 3 for me. My hips and lower back are very tight and stiff, but taking vitamin D has helped that (and yes, I've now tested it by stopping vit D a few times and the tightness comes back each time, then goes again when I restart taking them).

I also have pain in the 1st joint on both index fingers that come and go. Hurts like hell if I bang them on something.

I get shooting/stabbing pains in my legs and feet, along with occasional numbness that is either diabetic neuropathy or folate deficiency. That's being investigated at the moment and I'm on a folate supplement (don't take that without speaking to your doctor as the symptoms of folate deficiency and B12 deficiency are identical and you need to rule out B12 being the problem first, otherwise the folate supplement masks the B12 deficiency until it causes real problems).
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I have bad knees and shoulders from injuries when I was younger and a couple of fingers that I’ve broken more than once which stopped me playing guitar. I can’t hold chords without a fair amount of pain.

I’m also paranoid about my back going as my dad had two slipped discs by the time he was my age.

Paracetamol and ibuprofen is usually enough to keep it at bay but I occasionally have to get on the co-codamol when it gets bad.

I also get massages to help with my shoulders and back.

ETA my knee pain stopped my plan to try and get into triathlons, I’m fine with the cycling and swimming but when I started running I had pretty much constant pain.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My gout would be in category 3/4, maybe even 5, if it wasn't controlled by allopurinol. But it is so I discount that.

Overall I'm in category 1, maybe 2 - if I sit still in the same position for ages my joints start to get a bit stiff, but nothing is actually wrong with me at 47. About five years ago I sprained my ankle walking from the office to the station (bloody Birmingham City Council and their poorly-maintained pavements) and it is only in the last 12-18 months that it feels like the stiffness and occasional twinges from that have finally ended.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Being in a physical job I get no.3 a lot, with the odd no.4 but no option to stop so just get on with it.

Wife (35 year old) has major knee issues that are around 5.5, which sucks as they’ve flared up now and doctors aren’t seeing anyone they class as non urgent
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I have a dicky right shoulder. I can lift things and do weights etc, but the one thing that sets it off is press ups. 3 press ups and my shoulder is done for a good month.

I also have a reoccurring back problem. Its completely random but when it goes, it goes fast. It went 2 weeks ago when I picked up a light piece of material. Something near the sciatic nerve pinched and I was out for a week. Its 90% better now though. When it goes, it's a 6 for the first day, then gets better over time. Ibuprofen is a dietary requirement.

I'm 44 btw. Dread to think how I'll be when I'm older.

I just try to keep moving tbh, to keep it at bay. I also use a McTimony chiropractor every 4 to 6 months. I've not been in a year, so I know where I've gone wrong.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Gwaredd wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:10 pm chiropractor

;)
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

My left hip has worn away cartilage which has a fancy medical name but apart from 18 months when it was constantly painful leading to x-rays, diagnosis and a physio session it doesn't now stop me doing anything. I have found cycling is far easier than running which is a bugger as I had hoped to do an Ultra this year (whole one myself rather than relay which I have done).

I do fancy getting back into triathlons so hoping if I do more cycling the build up of muscle protects the hip, which is apparently a workable theory.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Chemo in spine has fucked my back permanently I think, at least it’s not getting any better. See my life struggle with putting on socks on in the morning moan 😂 Don’t take tablets for it as it’s a bit pointless taking something everyday and getting dependent on it so I’ll take the pain.
No real lifestyle change, I used to do weightlifting but it just aggravates my back too much now so I don’t bother.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’m a 2. My back gets a bit sore if I don’t exercise enough and stretch it, but nothing major.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Probably a 2/3.

I shattered my femur when I was 18 caused by blunt force to my right knee so I have aches and pains there a bit if I've been on my knees playing with my little boy.

Get aches in both my shoulders very occasionally from old rugby injuries and in my right shoulder and elbow sometimes, probably as a fallout of many overs of fast bowling in cricket over the years.

Can't complain really!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Between a 3 and 4.

Current lower back pain, joints, flexibility issues (been on the yoga train for a couple of months now to help) but mainly stiffness.

Trying hard to fix flexibility which has shown quite how bad I really am.

Dave!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Should've really thrown my own into the ring

2, sometimes 3 - mostly down to an old (and at the time misdiagnosed) ankle break, which makes me walk unevenly, which in turn leads to knee and toe issues. And doing stupid things - I generally have a steady stream of minor aches from completely avoidable accidents.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
John

Post by John »

2, occasionally get a bit of discomfort in my knees but it's rare and normally only comes on when I'm sauntering around the shops with my wife. I feel quite lucky when I look at some my friends and see the grief they get from back problems.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’m a 3... Left Knee.

Generally there’s no issue - I can run, cycle etc but there’s a weakness there, brought on by lateral/ turning movement.

For example, get to the bottom of the stairs and turn left off my left leg and bang, it goes. The pain isn’t ridiculous but there’s no power left and I hobble for the rest of the day. It does pass pretty quickly.

I’ve seen the doc but “as you do not do physical work for a living or are a professional sportsman”, he won’t order a scan.

I just have to live with it
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Currently a 5 - I've got a tear in my knee and was due to see an ortho surgeon at the start of the year but then all this unpleasantness started. Its a low level of pain so long as I sit still in one place and do nothing, but any sort of movement makes it worse which has a knock-on effect. Am on diclofenac and codeine for when its particularly bad, but its just a constant dull throbbing paining is very tiresome.

In the scheme of things it nothing, but being someone who likes to be active its very draining, particularly as its stopping me sleeping.

Normally I'm a 2 and those little niggles are just symptoms of age and being active. I just manage them myself and like everyone our age should probably pay more attention to stretching, pilates etc.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Careful with the Codeine Ascender - wonderful and equally awful stuff at the same time.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:17 pm Careful with the Codeine Ascender - wonderful and equally awful stuff at the same time.
Yeah, its for only when its really bad - trying to just use paracetamol alternating with the diclofenac. I've not had to resort to the amiltryptiline yet - they gave me some of that for sciatica, I took some on a Friday night and next thing I knew it was Sunday.
Cheers,

Mike.