Your lockdown purchases.

Explosive Newt

Re: Your lockdown purchases.

Post by Explosive Newt »

Over ear. Sound quality is brilliant, can pair with two devices at once which is a plus as well.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge music listener (as in, I tend to have it on in the background while I do something else) but I have found they help no end in focussing on work.
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

purchased one of these 'for my 4y/o' :lol: :D :lol:

the throttle has a trim on it so i can turn it right down for him to use.

https://www.banggood.com/Wltoys-124018- ... NYQAvD_BwE

ready to run, quite honestly for the money its bloody fantastic.

all upgradeable / fixable with new parts when you smash it up and some geeks on the net have done brushless motors and 3s batteries and got 80mph out of it :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:49 pm Over ear. Sound quality is brilliant, can pair with two devices at once which is a plus as well.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge music listener (as in, I tend to have it on in the background while I do something else) but I have found they help no end in focussing on work.
I've got Anker Soundcore Q30s and they are about 80% as good as the high end Sony's for noise cancelling, although I haven't done a back to back test with music I'd expect the Sony units to be a bit better.

For £80 rather than the thick end of £300 they are quite impressive though. But I'll grant you, the noise cancelling on the good Sony's is spooky good.

Sadly, my colleagues behave like a bunch of spoiled children at work (shouting screaming, singing, etc) so I'm normally listening to white noise to try to maintain some semblance of a train of thought....
mik

Post by mik »

@hoyleyboyley Like the look of that - I’ve never owned a proper RC car.

@Mito Man As the forum expert - thoughts?
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

@mik I had tamiya and such as a teenager, this is much easier as its already built but you can upgrade/fix in much the same way. :D
batteries and bits have moved on leaps and bounds in that 30 year gap too :D :lol:

I'm no officianado and i'd not expect it to compete with 'proper' stuff like traxxas/arma, but then its a fraction of the price.
Alot of the rc youtubers seem to recommend this and 124019 - same chassis as in the top 10 of best rc to buy under £100.

For the outlay this seemed like a good one to start with - its genuinely fast and will spend its time getting bashed about in the garden/park/beach/skate parks.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Never heard of it. As long as you can easily get parts its good enough. Run time is shit and I'll be mighty impressed if it can hit 60 kmh on a 550 brushed motor.

I was going to pull the trigger on a dirt cheap chinese quad bike last year, just enquired again and they wanted $4000 for shipping so I might as well buy an actual decent one now. Probably dodged a bullet there though.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:11 pm Never heard of it. As long as you can easily get parts its good enough. Run time is shit and I'll be mighty impressed if it can hit 60 kmh on a 550 brushed motor.
We've got a couple of the Banggood D90 Defenders for the kids, which are incredible for the c.£45 that they cost, and they run past the point that the kids want to play with them before needing a charge.
We did have one originally, which I did purchase various upgrade parts to make it more durable and improve the steering, but the upgrade items are poor quality, don't fit properly and put too much pressure on any remaining plastic parts. Essentially I spent another £45 to break it, so it's now just a parts car for the other two!
Supergluing the tyres on brought back memories of doing the same to a Mardave Mini as a kid, which I see still exists but in Norfolk rather than Leicester.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Beany wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:28 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:49 pm Over ear. Sound quality is brilliant, can pair with two devices at once which is a plus as well.

I've got Anker Soundcore Q30s and they are about 80% as good as the high end Sony's for noise cancelling, although I haven't done a back to back test with music I'd expect the Sony units to be a bit better.

For £80 rather than the thick end of £300 they are quite impressive though. But I'll grant you, the noise cancelling on the good Sony's is spooky good.

Sadly, my colleagues behave like a bunch of spoiled children at work (shouting screaming, singing, etc) so I'm normally listening to white noise to try to maintain some semblance of a train of thought....
Some people in this office talk... forcefully... but I seem to be able to drown most of it out with these and a bit of Vivaldi or somesuch. Most importantly sudden noises still seem to make their way through so I can hear my bleep go off.
mik

Post by mik »

I always keep an older pair of sunnies in Mrs mik’s car. A pair of Police glasses (circa 2006 vintage) were somehow lost when she got the E-Tron, so a new pair required.

I am always overprotective with my sunglasses - can’t stand scratched lenses - so they spend very little time anywhere other than on my face or in the case. My Oakley Tincan (purchased the same week @JLv3.0 did exactly the same back in July 2014) still therefore look like new. These will now be relegated to “2nd pair” as I bought another pair of metal Oakleys to fill the gap.

Holbrook Metal Polarised. Seem very nice so far - need the sun to come back for a proper test. Blue coating but the base lens colour is allegedly grey - I would have guessed amber/bronze based on the view through them.

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I only recently realised that Ray Ban do two sizes of the wayfarers, so I got the larger size with polarized lenses a wee while ago.

It's nice having glasses with decent lenses again.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

I surprised Mrs mik with a new pair of Wayfarers a couple of years back. Hers spend half their life rattling around in her handbag - not even inside a glasses bag.

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Mines are currently sitting on the coffee table about 6 inches away from their case :lol:
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I've ordered the "world's most powerful" chainsaw after a very frustrating weekend with my old Husky. I didn't need the most powerful one but it made the most sense due to emissions legislations - current saws now have electronic timing, electronic injection and electronic carbs apart from the Stihl which I ordered which is thoroughly old fashioned.
My Husky had a hot start problem after a year and the dealer could never fix it. Gave them £50 each time to plug it into a laptop and recalibrate the electronics and nothing... Useless.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Stihl do make good big saws. All of the ones I used to use were Huskys apart from a giant Stihl with a 48 inch blade.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:59 am I've ordered the "world's most powerful" chainsaw
Assume Stihl MS 881 as opposed to a V8 powered 2-man job?

Even the short one is a bit £eyewatering - hope you get your money’s worth :shock:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep that's the one, I think I'll call it Jezza for obvious reasons. A bonus with this saw is that it has enough power to mill large logs in situ which can't otherwise be moved. Already bought the mobile mill kit years ago but my old saw wasn't powerful enough.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:35 am I surprised Mrs mik with a new pair of Wayfarers a couple of years back. Hers spend half their life rattling around in her handbag - not even inside a glasses bag.

Tell me about it 😂😂

I bought the wife some Oakley Feedback in gold for crimbo and I nag her all the time to look after them and make sure they don't scratch. It's barely seems to compute with women.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

£5 Polarised sunnies from The Range FTW. I break a few pairs every year, the most salvageable get hot glued/taped together and become backups strewn about gloveboxes, door bins, desks etc :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Still have my Police sunnies from c2000 that are my cheapies in the Mrs' car. 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

A long way from old-school hifi, but…. A potential “bargain” (everything being relative) for someone…