Your lockdown purchases.

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Your lockdown purchases.

Post by Ascender »

Therefore all good turntables have a separate ground cable which can be connected to standard amplifiers or phono-stages, which usually have a ground terminal.
I have no earth cable (but can get one on eBay) but my turntable doesn't have a ground terminal.

Aaaaaaaaargh.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

What make and model is your turntable? They often have a captive wire. Here are some pretty straightforward instructions even if it doesn't: https://toprecordplayers.com/ground-tur ... rd-player/
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:50 pm What make and model is your turntable? They often have a captive wire. Here are some pretty straightforward instructions even if it doesn't: https://toprecordplayers.com/ground-tur ... rd-player/
Turns out it doesn't but that's not a surprise as it was very much a budget one to see if I'd get back in to playing vinyl. So I guess I need a new/used one with a ground terminal....
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Its been a f*cking expensive week.

That is all.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Have needed some general workspace for ages - some workies that were here last week had one of these that they reckoned was great. So I got myself one for, erm, Father’s Day.

£54 from B&Q. Takes 20secs to erect and the same to do the reverse job, comes with a couple of clamps and can hold upto 180kg. Pretty impressed tbh.

Simon

Post by Simon »

Ooh, that's neat. Got a link?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Today, completely unplanned, a 1989 Overbury's frameset.

overburys.jpg
overburys.jpg (332.67 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

Should arrive next week. Feck knows what I'm going to do with it :D
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:39 pm Today, completely unplanned, a 1989 Overbury's frameset.

overburys.jpg

Should arrive next week. Feck knows what I'm going to do with it :D
relist it on eBay as a gravel bike frame and double your money.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

A Pi4, assorted cords and memory cards, a new vertical stand for an old monitor and four retro gaming controllers.

Because I don't game enough already...

I'll build a cabinet for it but first I need some of @miks funky workbenches.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:37 pm Have needed some general workspace for ages - some workies that were here last week had one of these that they reckoned was great. So I got myself one for, erm, Father’s Day.

£54 from B&Q. Takes 20secs to erect and the same to do the reverse job, comes with a couple of clamps and can hold upto 180kg. Pretty impressed tbh.

I had one of those - it was strong vertically, but not much strength in other directions - I think I broke it when I had something heavy leaning up into it. So long as you're careful it's a useful enough thing.

It ended up in the bin, but I still have the clamps from it!
mik

Post by mik »

Fair enough @Rich B

@Simon @RobYob Keter do one that looks very similar. No idea which came first but online reviews seem to rate them similarly so I went with the B&Q version.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I'm in the process of restoring my dad's Black and Decker Workmate, it's sat it a damp shed for years and the paint just falls off at the slightest touch to reveal a lot of rust! It must be one of the oldest ones as his grandmother bought it for him! It weighs a ton so should provide a solid work platform when done.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

A slightly less manly restoration than @Zonda_s was i fixed a Kenwood mixer bought by my MiL in the 60s. No PCB just wired components that a soldering novice like me can work with. Gearsets that would run a small EV these days' very satisfying to get working.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

RobYob wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:42 am A slightly less manly restoration than @Zonda_s was i fixed a Kenwood mixer bought by my MiL in the 60s. No PCB just wired components that a soldering novice like me can work with. Gearsets that would run a small EV these days' very satisfying to get working.
Have you watched the episode of May's 'The Reassembler' where he rebuilds one of those? Awesome bloke in a shed telly.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

KiwiDave wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:48 am
RobYob wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:42 am A slightly less manly restoration than @Zonda_s was i fixed a Kenwood mixer bought by my MiL in the 60s. No PCB just wired components that a soldering novice like me can work with. Gearsets that would run a small EV these days' very satisfying to get working.
Have you watched the episode of May's 'The Reassembler' where he rebuilds one of those? Awesome bloke in a shed telly.
Yes, Very much a fan of those, I have no interest in electric guitars but I've happily say and watched May put one together.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

RobYob wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:02 pm Yes, Very much a fan of those, I have no interest in electric guitars but I've happily say and watched May put one together.
I binged watched the lot while recovering from surgery the past few weeks - great TV
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sony XM-4 headphones

Zero regrets. Makes noise go away, sometimes also makes colleagues go away.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:23 pm Sony XM-4 headphones

Zero regrets. Makes noise go away, sometimes also makes colleagues go away.
They're really good aren't they... 👍
Simon

Post by Simon »

Over the ear or buds?
The artist formerly known as _Who_