GG.

Re: Your lockdown purchases.

Post by GG. »

Very cool.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

jamcg wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:35 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:35 pm I could google it but how do they work to be so bright? Looks really cool!
Special fabric mantle that on first lighting turns to ash. They run on paraffin pressured with a built in manual pump- the pressure forces it up to the top to the burner which points downwards into the mantle
They are cool, they used to light our Scout Hall with them 😎
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ooh, that reminds me of my favourite YouTube restorer who did this:

He's head and shoulders above other 'sand blast and repaint' restorers on YouTube.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:35 pm I could google it but how do they work to be so bright? Looks really cool!
Special fabric mantle that on first lighting turns to ash. They run on paraffin pressured with a built in manual pump- the pressure forces it up to the top to the burner which points downwards into the mantle
Might have a browse on eBay...
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We had 3 or 4 paraffin lamps (the cotton wick style, not pressurised type) which we’re our go to light during the power cuts of the 70’s

Not as bright as the pressurised ones but 100% dependable and it was a lot easier to keep a stock of fuel rather than loads of batteries
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:49 pm We had 3 or 4 paraffin lamps (the cotton wick style, not pressurised type) which we’re our go to light during the power cuts of the 70’s

Not as bright as the pressurised ones but 100% dependable and it was a lot easier to keep a stock of fuel rather than loads of batteries
Had two of them in Thrumster back when I was a bairn - got use out of them, they work fine for a bit of basic light to see what you're doing and to read by.

I think we probably chucked them when we left there - shame, but then, bad times back then so couldn't be helped.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 pm
Might have a browse on eBay...
Me too...:lol: That is very cool and a thing of beauty
Nic

Post by Nic »

A Brian James tilt bed, BBS RS for the Golf and a W123 on air.

All at covid 19 bargain prices.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Nic wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 pm A Brian James tilt bed, BBS RS for the Golf and a W123 on air.

Tell us more about the W123 please.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Nic wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 pm A Brian James tilt bed, BBS RS for the Golf and a W123 on air.

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Let the boys spend some of their pocket money today and they both ended up with loads of Lego!

I've bought some clothes, really not that exciting.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I caved yesterday and ordered an AC unit and measured my window today for a seal. Reviews on all of them seem hit and miss so it’s going to be a surprise when it turns up.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:41 pm My dad used to love Tilley lamps. Always fascinating tweaking the feed and watching the impact on the colour/brightness. Bit smelly though.

I’ve never seen one as clean as that though - my dads were always battered m bruised
It wasn’t clean when I found it, took a bit of work to sort it out
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 pm I caved yesterday and ordered an AC unit and measured my window today for a seal. Reviews on all of them seem hit and miss so it’s going to be a surprise when it turns up.

The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:08 pm
mik wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:41 pm My dad used to love Tilley lamps. Always fascinating tweaking the feed and watching the impact on the colour/brightness. Bit smelly though.

I’ve never seen one as clean as that though - my dads were always battered m bruised
It wasn’t clean when I found it, took a bit of work to sort it out
Yeah I realised. But the “after” look is great 8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’ve barely spent anything in the last few months. A bit of DIY materials and that’s it. All the deferred mortgage and cancelled nursery money has gone straight into savings and that’s it.

It’s definitely made me realise how much I spent on lunches before!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:37 pm It’s definitely made me realise how much I spent on lunches before!
Yep! As I'm only able to do about 3 days a week I've taken a temporary pay cut. Even so it's been staggering to see that that still hasn't hit as hard as i thought it would. Lunches and petrol are by far the biggest savings.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We’ve been spending more, having both of us in the house all the time means we actually have to have a decent supply of food here :lol:
An absolute unit
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Simon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:19 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 pm I caved yesterday and ordered an AC unit and measured my window today for a seal. Reviews on all of them seem hit and miss so it’s going to be a surprise when it turns up.

I reckon the top one, the blubber will make it more malleable to fit in the window.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Nic

Post by Nic »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:23 pm

Tell us more about the W123 please.
It’s being MOT’d on Monday and then needs a good clean and polish, I’ll post some pictures once it’s in my possession but this is how it used to look before being parked up for a while.