Your lockdown purchases.

GG.

Re: Your lockdown purchases.

Post by GG. »

DaveE wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:50 pm If I had the space (and the money!) I would dearly love some JBL L100 Classics

I mean, just look at them!

If you’re interested in some commentary on these take a look at John Darko on YouTube. A hi fi reviewer that bought a pair with his own cash.
mik

Post by mik »

They remind me of the chunky Cerwin Vega’s that I nearly bought in 1991 when I opted for the (imaging turned up to 11 by comparison and still capable of 24Hz) Tannoy 609’s instead.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I've just ordered a NAD 3020. Far less satisfying blue, but supposed to be a good starting point.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

@GG.

Yeah I've been into John Darko's channel for a while (it seems he and I have a very similar musical taste as well)

I almost don't care that the JBLs aren't all that good. They look amazing!

Same with that Pioneer amp. I'm sure there are better amps for the same money, but do they have blue lights?! 😂
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:29 pm I've just ordered a NAD 3020. Far less satisfying blue, but supposed to be a good starting point.
As In the old classic as opposed to the current model?

I always liked how they sounded but wanted moh powahs - hence the 3240PE I ended up with in 1991 - and still have (replaced last year with my mates after it blew - shoosh). The 3020 also has pre & power amp stages joined connector bars if I remember correctly - I use this feature to take the pre-amp output to my TS2.10 sub (which has its own amp) for a rather bigger sound stage.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I went for a 3020e as a start - I'm currently using an old Marantz combined amp/CD player thing from a separates system, so anything is an upgrade!

Turntable and speakers are next on the list....
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ruark MR1 Mk2s arrived this morning. Setting up took all of two minutes, but blimey they sound good!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:57 pm Ruark MR1 Mk2s arrived this morning. Setting up took all of two minutes, but blimey they sound good!
I'd be very interested in a passive version those (to use with the new Pioneer amp) - wonder if such a thing exists?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Errr... Don't know I needed powered ones.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

That Pioneer amp was delivered earlier

I've not had chance to set it up yet, but it looks absolutely mint - it looks brand new

Mad to think it's about 40 years old.

Fingers crossed it all works OK once connected up (it powered up fine)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

DaveE wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:17 pm That Pioneer amp was delivered earlier

I've not had chance to set it up yet, but it looks absolutely mint - it looks brand new

Mad to think it's about 40 years old.

Fingers crossed it all works OK once connected up (it powered up fine)
That's brilliant, need more pictures!

OK, so all change here with the setup.... what's a decent pair of entry level floor standing speakers or ones I can put on floor stands.... second hand, for trading up from in the future? I like the idea of something retro!

Found some of those lovely JBLs but they're in the US.
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

We've one of these in the loft, from my long departed grandfather:

I know it's 35 ish years old but sounds ok and seem to go for a few hundred quid on the internet now.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Simon wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:28 pm We've one of these in the loft, from my long departed grandfather:

I know it's 35 ish years old but sounds ok and seem to go for a few hundred quid on the internet now.
That's a beaut!
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Love those JBL speakers, nearly bought a similar set from one of those shops that's just some guy who hoards vintage tech. I'd just sold most of my hi-fi stuff though and was having trouble justifying massive speakers to my partner.

I've been scanning ebay again based on this thread but I don't even have any physical media for music anymore so it seems kind of pointless, does look cool though :lol:
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

The NAD has arrived, looks nice, but whenever I hook up the turntable to it and press play, I get music + static noise.... Switched to the old amp and its fine.

Jarvis standing desk has arrived and its great, apart from once I'd set it up and flipped it over.... there's some marks on the desktop. Spoke to them and without even asking for pictures "so, can we offer you a partial refund?". Presumably this is common and they definitely don't want the ball ache of having to swap the desktop...
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:06 pm The NAD has arrived, looks nice, but whenever I hook up the turntable to it and press play, I get music + static noise.... Switched to the old amp and its fine.
Did you connect the ground wire to the amp?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:15 pm
Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:06 pm The NAD has arrived, looks nice, but whenever I hook up the turntable to it and press play, I get music + static noise.... Switched to the old amp and its fine.
Did you connect the ground wire to the amp?
Of course not :D

Ground wire?

What, how, can you do it for me please? etc

Off to Google I go!
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

I am no deck expert (dexpert?) but this is the back of a 3240PE - see the ground wire connection at the left hand side.

Ascender

Post by Ascender »

So yes, the NAD has a Phono Ground.....

Ummmm......

How do I ground it?! 😳
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

It’s been a LONG time since I bought a deck, but mine had (has... in the loft) a ground wire.