Your lockdown purchases.

Broccers

Re: Your lockdown purchases.

Post by Broccers »

What a musical bunch. Passed grade 5 on trumpet and toured with school bands, we even made a record. I stopped going tho when all the older pretty girls left .... I think that was my only interest in the whole thing.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My eldest Brother wanted to learn the Piano - Blame Richard Clayderman - that will place it time wise... :lol:

So my dad bought a Piano and that was it - we all had to learn the fucking thing because he'd spent so much money on it. I always wanted to learn the guitar but there was fuck all chance of getting one. "We've a perfectly good Piano in the dining room - what do you want a guitar for"
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

Broccers wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:28 am What a musical bunch. Passed grade 5 on trumpet and toured with school bands, we even made a record. I stopped going tho when all the older pretty girls left .... I think that was my only interest in the whole thing.
Did they not want to blow on your trumpet then?

I did trombone and coronet but kind of half heartedly. Enjoyed cleaning the thing up and redoing all the seals and whatnot of the school brass than actually playing it :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

As I have no musical ability (and neither did my parents), we didn't have instruments at home. When it came to school I was lucky that I understand technology so was put in charge of microphones, etc.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Grade 7 saxophone here - I played in a few wind bands and a stage band (getting paid at 15 or so was awesome). we went to Europe a few times with the wind band (Switzerland and italy) and had a great times, by then I was only really interested in the tours and the social side (getting drunk and a fit clarinetist called Kim), so as soon as I went to uni and left the band I stopped playing.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Grade 8 pianist here along with Grade 'just for kicks'' guitarist.

I learnt recorder then guitar in primary school (and used to play along with the school's piano teacher during assembly), and learnt piano in secondary school. Used to have a piano at my parents house but couldn't accommodate it in the various houses I've owned since so it now resides in a local village hall with my name on a plaque attached to the side of it and I bought myself a Yamaha CLP-685 a few years ago (major budget creep) which sits in my office and is also plugged into my computer for music composition. It's got an amazing sound.
Last edited by Simon on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Grade 8 pianist too although I haven’t touched one since I finished school 10 years ago - I only did it because we had to play a musical instrument.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Beany wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:21 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:28 am What a musical bunch. Passed grade 5 on trumpet and toured with school bands, we even made a record. I stopped going tho when all the older pretty girls left .... I think that was my only interest in the whole thing.
Did they not want to blow on your trumpet then?
I'm good at that :lol:

It's a shame you can't pick up certain instruments and play them again. My nephew is really good at making a right racket with it. :D
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

This one time, at band camp... all of the Evo forum blew each other.
mik

Post by mik »

I played trombone in primary school. We did something at some church for Christmas. A full size trombone is tricky for a youngster - the furthest note is a stretch. Cue me accidentally firing my slide over the alter (not a euphemism) and having to sheepishly collect it whilst everyone pissed their pants (some of the older congregation members probably literally).
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:36 pm I played trombone in primary school. We did something at some church for Christmas. A full size trombone is tricky for a youngster - the furthest note is a stretch. Cue me accidentally firing my slide over the alter (not a euphemism) and having to sheepishly collect it whilst everyone pissed their pants (some of the older congregation members probably literally).
Ahh the ever elusive C!!!!

Dave!
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

I've got a ukulele :mrgreen:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Pete_ wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:12 pm I've got a ukulele :mrgreen:
So has my 5yo now :lol: By the time I'd finished tuning it, and showing him how to hold/strum it, he'd totally lost interest and hasn't touched it since.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I learnt Bass at school as I was allowed to practice at lunchtimes out of the rain.
Music teacher taught me a load of boring shuffles (think he was a closet Quo fan), I just did my own thing and learnt Iron Maiden basslines by ear.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Oh my youngest bought herself a Recorder on Wednesday, I promptly ordered a beginners book from Amazon on the hope the sounds of torture don't last too long with some assistance from myself.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

I bought an Ultimate Driving Machine! 8-)
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:55 am This one time, at band camp... all of the Evo forum blew each other.
:lol:

All I'm hearing from all of this is A) there's a surprisingly large amount of you have learned how to play brass instruments of some form - that's weird! And B) I have zero forum competition for the role of EVO forum band drummer (which is good, because I'm shit!) :D
tim

Post by tim »

Oh did I not mention my drums? :)

I spent all of yesterday with my daughter on drums and me in guitar/bass making Kurt Cobain slowly turn in his grave :p
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

NGRhodes wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:25 pm I learnt Bass at school as I was allowed to practice at lunchtimes out of the rain.
Real ale classes! Must have been a progressive school I'm thinking? ;)
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:38 pm
NGRhodes wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:25 pm I learnt Bass at school as I was allowed to practice at lunchtimes out of the rain.
Real ale classes! Must have been a progressive school I'm thinking? ;)
I remember learning how to pull a hand pulled pint using Brew 11 in the pub I first worked in.