Lockdown cookery thread.

DeskJockey

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by DeskJockey »

GG. wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:27 am
Nefarious wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 pm I got some wild garlic
This one is next on my list - probably a bit less easy to find that nettles however...
We get a weekly delivery from Abel & Cole and they've been including foraged stuff for the last month or so. Plenty of wild garlic, sea purslane, and horse parsley. First two are useful and nice, last one not so much.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

This one is next on my list - probably a bit less easy to find that nettles however...
Our local wood is overrun with the stuff!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:57 am
Our local wood is overrun with the stuff!
We've even a village up here named after them! My mum and dad made the mistake of planting some at their last place as well...

We had a veg box last week from some local foraged produce place we've been buying from for a while. It had wild garlic and some ground elder in. Latter was alright (fried up with butter like some greens and garlic flowers added). The bulk of the garlic went into a soup with leeks and potatoes and it was superb. Hopefully getting some more next week.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

This morning's experiment. Thanks Jimmy for the descriptive comment.

This resulted from looking at the Meat Church site, and seeing this
https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipe ... ried-steak
which I'm also going to try (along with a reverse sear chunky sirloin on the BBQ at the weekend)
which reminded me of the 'biscuits and gravy' thing, which seems a bit weird, looks mildly disturbing, but tastes surprisingly good.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That looks horrific.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sirloin steaks from yesterday before they got cosy on the BBQ.

Most delicious and served with chips, a simple salad and English mustard.
---
mik

Post by mik »

Have tried making ravioli before - massive ball ache that takes forevah! :evil:

Spotted a template thing online for a tenner.... ooh

So mrs mik and I made these today. 250g of mince mixed with shallots, bit of ham, Parmesan and a pinch of nutmeg (plus an egg to bind it) sorted the filling (for two racks - so 98 parcels - pics are of the first tray - second was a bit more consistent).

The Phillips Machine Of Awesome provided the lovely fresh pasta as usual. Lasagna nozzle makes nice thin sheets.

Dust template thingy with flour, pasta sheet, filling, brush on egg - top pasta layer, rolling pin to cut them out.

Mrs mik made a sugo. Still a lot of work compared to other pastas, but I do love a good ravioli and this gadget worked great. All diners cleared their plates. 8-)

unzippy

Post by unzippy »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pm Sirloin steaks from yesterday before they got cosy on the BBQ.

Pic's broke DJ. Google pics seem pretty hit an miss, same with Nef's.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

That ravioli looks excellent Mik.

Once again, off to Amazon to get one! :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

unzippy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:50 am
DeskJockey wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pm Sirloin steaks from yesterday before they got cosy on the BBQ.

Pic's broke DJ. Google pics seem pretty hit an miss, same with Nef's.
Odd. Showing fine for me. Will have a look later
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I ordered some meat this week from www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk. Some burgers, 1/4lb steak sausages, supper pig sausages, deckle steaks and some minced Mutton. We've BBQ'd the sausages an burgers so far and they've been superb.

Today decided to use the mutton mince to make the Leena peas recipe from The Curry Secret. It was awesome. The best thing I've made from the book so far. The mutton mine tasted fab and had great texture. Will defo do again. Had it with garlic butter rice.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The local Fishmonger has started doing deliveries and I fancied fish for a change and the lady on the phone caught me for an upsell by asking ' do you like Laverbread and Cockles for breakfast ? ' . Who doesn't I replied, despite never trying it :lol:

Strange taste and texture but definitely something I'll try again.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Left over crest; tightens.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

On a whim I made up some cheesy/curry pastry and made an egg/bacon/salami/spinich pie on the BBQ. Worked fantastically well. Helped no doubt to BBQ the bacon before crumbling it on top of the half cooked pie.

Rotten family didn't leave any leftovers for me to take care off.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Carlos wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 pm do you like Laverbread and Cockles for breakfast ?
I think she's coming on to you, Carlos :lol:

If she offered home delivery I'd be worried.#

My local independent wine shop is also doing deliveries to local regulars. Its like have my own middle class (and French) dealer - I even got his number on a handwritten slip of paper :lol:
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm Have tried making ravioli before - massive ball ache that takes forevah! :evil:

Spotted a template thing online for a tenner.... ooh

So mrs mik and I made these today. 250g of mince mixed with shallots, bit of ham, Parmesan and a pinch of nutmeg (plus an egg to bind it) sorted the filling (for two racks - so 98 parcels - pics are of the first tray - second was a bit more consistent).

The Phillips Machine Of Awesome provided the lovely fresh pasta as usual. Lasagna nozzle makes nice thin sheets.

Dust template thingy with flour, pasta sheet, filling, brush on egg - top pasta layer, rolling pin to cut them out.

Mrs mik made a sugo. Still a lot of work compared to other pastas, but I do love a good ravioli and this gadget worked great. All diners cleared their plates. 8-)

That looks and sounds delicious. I'd love to have a go at making ravioli after my tagliatelle experiment at the beginning of lockdown but can't find any suitable flour.
mik

Post by mik »

It was 😘

We use about 2/3 plain or 00 flour and about 1/3 semolina flour for the pasta. Both available from local shops - very little in the supermarkets still...
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

We had Deckle steaks for dinner this evening. Never heard of them until the other day and I shall be buying them again as they were marvellous!!

Apparently it's the cap off the top of the rib eye. It's the nicest bit of steak I've had. Really tender and full of flavour. Went great with Holy Fuck, mushrooms, onions and chips.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I went full 70’s retro this evening with a Toad in the Hole with Pork and apple sausages, served with Wholegrain Mustard Mash and peas.

Was lush

Tomorrow??? Cottage Pie :D
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Used fresh turmeric for the first time today. Finely grated it gave the stir-fry an amazing colour, but my word it stains!
---