---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Coaster1

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by Coaster1 »

unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Re Burgers, can't remember if I mentioned this before but add some bone marrow into the grind - amazing!
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I've picked up a second hand slow cooker and now my house smells great. Lidl are selling packs of shin of beef and chucking one of those in with some veggies, stock and wine is lovely.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I'm baking our Christmas Cake today - a month or so too late IMO but It should still be good :D

The house is going to smell fantastic
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:01 am I'm baking our Christmas Cake today - a month or so too late IMO but It should still be good :D

The house is going to smell fantastic
We've had fruits soaking in plonk since yesterday morning, ready for baking tomorrow.

Have also finally given in and bought a small freezer so we can batch cook meals to make the days when I've got the children easier.
---
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:19 am I've picked up a second hand slow cooker and now my house smells great. Lidl are selling packs of shin of beef and chucking one of those in with some veggies, stock and wine is lovely.
I'm doing a Chilli in the slow cooker with shin of beef today 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We're having a scientific steak night. Last time we had steak the eldest asked why mine was red and his wasn't, explained that I liked mine rare, but that we cooked theirs for longer. So we decided a test was in order which seems like a good excuse to go to the butcher for some meat.

They did a good show of it. Asking him questions about how he liked his meat, whether he preferred flavour over mouth feel, how to cook it, etc. So after careful consideration we've now got four chunky ribeyes for dinner.

Will cook one rare, two medium and the last well done, then let him try them all.

Jackets and some tenderstem broccoli on the side, may also have to open a bottle of Malbec to go with it (adults only obviously).
---
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That's a great idea DJ. I never used to like meat that much when I was a kid. It turned out it was because I didn't like meat the way my mum cooked it, which had much the same texture as shoe leather.

Ended up liking steaks barely cooked :lol:
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:01 pm That's a great idea DJ. I never used to like meat that much when I was a kid. It turned out it was because I didn't like meat the way my mum cooked it, which had much the same texture as shoe leather.

Is there another way to eat steak? Mine are generally not fussy eaters at all, but both the boys have started disliking things since starting school. I suppose it is partly that their palates are developing, but I suspect they're also picking up from their friends.

We encourage them to try things several times and generally only warn them before letting them try something (e.g. the crushed chili is spicy).

They'll eat any kind of cheese, milder pickled chilies and even fairly sharp chutneys. Mustard and horseradish are out though.
---
Beany

Post by Beany »

Smash burgers? That's just how I've always made burgers :? Loosely shape, flatten 'em with a potato masher in the pan.

I use mini stotties/massive baps for the rolls so if you flatten the burgers out
A: They fit the roll properly
B: They fry fucking fast.

Also means you can fit a full slice of cheap 'american' cheese on them as they fry.
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:01 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:15 pm
1. Is there another way to eat steak?
B. Mustard and horseradish are out though.
1. Yes.
B. I went out for a business meal in Strasbourg in a not-awesomely-lit restaurant and mistook a large splodge of horseradish for humous. I could barely breathe for about 10 seconds :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:16 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:01 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:15 pm
1. Is there another way to eat steak?
B. Mustard and horseradish are out though.
1. Yes.
B. I went out for a business meal in Strasbourg in a not-awesomely-lit restaurant and mistook a large splodge of horseradish for humous. I could barely breathe for about 10 seconds :lol:
I love horseradish, best is chrein. Freshly grated horseradish with a smidge of vinegar and beetroot juice for colour. Should be vividly bright pink and take the top of your head off. Serve as a condiment and enjoy the fleeting pain.
---
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm not a huge fan of mustard/horseradish flavours tbh. I'm alright with american mustard and wholegrain mustard but the spicier mustards and wasabi can get to fuck :lol:

I like spicy but I don't need running sinuses when I'm trying to eat my dinner.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:42 pm I'm not a huge fan of mustard/horseradish flavours tbh. I'm alright with american mustard and wholegrain mustard but the spicier mustards and wasabi can get to fuck :lol:

I like spicy but I don't need running sinuses when I'm trying to eat my dinner.
I prefer it to chili as the kick is fleeting and feels very different. Less mouth on fire, more hairs on head standing up.
---
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm the other way, I can eat much spicier chilli than mustard. Still can't go daft with it though, got a naga chilli hot sauce once that was too much. I tried it on a pizza and it tasted quite good before it seared all the sensation out of my tastebuds.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Does this mean we need to start an internet war now? We prefer/like two different things that are of no consequence or importance to anyone but us.
---
mik

Post by mik »

Yes a heaped tablespoon of it in one go certainly cleared my sinuses. And retina.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

sinus burn is the worst.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:55 pm Yes a heaped tablespoon of it in one go certainly cleared my sinuses. And retina.
You only have one?
---