Lockdown cookery thread.

Mito Man

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by Mito Man »

Jesus fuck you’re still living off the air fryer?!
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:17 pm Jesus fuck you’re still living off the air fryer?!
Not all the time. I have been known to put things in the oven, under a grill and in a pot or pan :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:26 pm Made a chilli sauce. Had some green chillies and scotch bonnets that had been in the freezer for an indeterminate number of years. Plus a fresh red chilli and then 4 dried Chipotles with a best before of Dec 2016 (no way did we buy them that long ago, nope, not having it)

We'd just had carbonara and the skillet was caked in bacon fat and goodness. So that got deglazed and these bad boys added to dry roast

Chipotles soaked in the bacon juice and then the lot got wizzed up. Cyder vinegar added along with bacon juice a bit of sugar, some pomegranate molasses, a pinch of cumin and salt and a smidge of bomba tomato puree. All let down a bit with some water.

If anyone ever tells you that chillis lose heat over the years in either the freezer or dried, punch them in the face. This. Is. Blindingly hot. Wife tried it and lost the hearing in one ear. My voice went.

Smashing. I'll let it sit for a few weeks in the fridge and it should be bob on. IME they get better with age and a little fermentation
Tried this yesterday now it's had several weeks to "brew". Pretty good actually - heat's calmed down and it's got real depth of flavour.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 pm
Tried this yesterday now it's had several weeks to "brew". Pretty good actually - heat's calmed down and it's girly real depth of flavour.
I refuse to have anything girly.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 pm
Tried this yesterday now it's had several weeks to "brew". Pretty good actually - heat's calmed down and it's girly real depth of flavour.
Not even a cosmopolitan?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

:lol: Fvck autocorrect.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:37 pm
mik wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:36 am https://theribman.co.uk/collections/sauces

> HolyFuck = Mildest
> Christ On A Bike
> Holy Mother Of God
> Judas Is Scarey Hot = hottest

But then he had other sauces now with specific focus, so I don’t know how they rate. I’d say Buffalo is similar in kick to HolyFuck.

He’s stocking the online shop at 5pm tonight. Friday night he put up 200kg of rib meat and it sold out in 8mins, so if you are interested - set an alarm on yer phone. 😊
Thanks Mik. I've ordered some Holy Fuck and Buffalo to give it a whirl. 👍
I've gone through a few bottle of Holy Fuck now, it really is fabulous. I've just ordered some more and also gone for some Christ on a Bike to see if I can go hotter (not a chilli hero).
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:22 pm
Not even a cosmopolitan?
We had Cosmopolitans at my last wedding. Everyone asked ThenFutureExWife2 how she persuaded me to have them. It was my choice.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:03 pm
mik wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:36 am https://theribman.co.uk/collections/sauces

> HolyFuck = Mildest
> Christ On A Bike
> Holy Mother Of God
> Judas Is Scarey Hot = hottest

But then he had other sauces now with specific focus, so I don’t know how they rate. I’d say Buffalo is similar in kick to HolyFuck.

He’s stocking the online shop at 5pm tonight. Friday night he put up 200kg of rib meat and it sold out in 8mins, so if you are interested - set an alarm on yer phone. 😊
I've gone through a few bottle of Holy Fuck now, it really is fabulous. I've just ordered some more and also gone for some Christ on a Bike to see if I can go hotter (not a chilli hero).
I got a bottle of Holy Fuck and Bacon Buffalo a few weeks ago, based on the hype. Have to say I'm far from bowled over by it. It's very sweet to my tastes - I much prefer more savoury sauces so either on the salted side or sharp/tangy. The Bacon Buffalo has grown on me, I think because it actually has a bit of a tang to it, but the Holy Fvck resides largely unused. But hey, we all have different tastes. I'm sure if I commented as much on Twitter I'd be lynched in seconds by many of his followers, some of whom come across as proper sad plonkers.

My own hot sauce has turned into a real tasty mofo 8-)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 pm
McSwede wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:03 pm

I got a bottle of Holy Fuck and Bacon Buffalo a few weeks ago, based on the hype. Have to say I'm far from bowled over by it. It's very sweet to my tastes - I much prefer more savoury sauces so either on the salted side or sharp/tangy. The Bacon Buffalo has grown on me, I think because it actually has a bit of a tang to it, but the Holy Fvck resides largely unused. But hey, we all have different tastes. I'm sure if I commented as much on Twitter I'd be lynched in seconds by many of his followers, some of whom come across as proper sad plonkers.

My own hot sauce has turned into a real tasty mofo 8-)
😱😱😱 We don't like the same stuff. Break it to me gently why don't you 😂😂
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

:lol:

That was more a reaction on my part to the almost cult-leader like status he seems to have on Twitter with some people. I'm still tempted to try his Yuzu one as well, and maybe his ribs.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 pm My own hot sauce has turned into a real tasty mofo 8-)
Yours is mostly chillis, isn't it? I had in mind it might be a bit sriracha-esque (in a good way); I've basically switched back to using just sriracha and Tabasco now after exhausting all my alternative chilli sauces. Or this on chips for when it needs to be dirty:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yes Jobbo - the bulk of it is chillis. Sriracha and Tabasco are some of my faves. I don't mind Encona either. I quite like a good Sambal Oelek as well, but finding one these days in incredibly difficult - again they're all loaded with far too much sugar. Had a great one a few years ago that was quite salty and acted as a seasoning as much as anything.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Not even a cosmopolitan?
We had Cosmopolitans at my last wedding. Everyone asked ThenFutureExWife2 how she persuaded me to have them. It was my choice.
They're delicious.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:37 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Not even a cosmopolitan?
They're delicious.
They are. And they leave a much better aftertaste than the marriage. :D
Banal Vapid Platitudes
mik

Post by mik »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 pm I got a bottle of Holy Fuck and Bacon Buffalo a few weeks ago, based on the hype. Have to say I'm far from bowled over by it. It's very sweet to my tastes - I much prefer more savoury sauces so either on the salted side or sharp/tangy. The Bacon Buffalo has grown on me, I think because it actually has a bit of a tang to it, but the Holy Fvck resides largely unused. But hey, we all have different tastes.
That’s cool. Erm hot. Erm. :?

Need to get some more actually - down to last bottle...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Have you tried the Yuzu mik?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

So my annual cook-a-thon is done for another year. 24 mouths to feed this time. Menu looked like this:

Saturday (late arrival so limited prep time):
Spaghetti Carbonara
Linguine with smoked salmon, lemon, capers and cherry toms
Garlic bread
-
Rice pudding with raspberry or passionfruit coulis

Sunday (whilst catastrophically hung-over):
Thai Chicken wings with sweet chili sauce
-
Vietnamese caramel five-spice pork with shitake and broad bean sticky rice
-
Mango cream

Monday
Barbeque (on a proper half oil drum) - Honey mustard chicken, garlic chicken, sausages, burgers, home made fermented ketchup, potato salad, green salad, mushroom, mozzarella and tomato salad.
-
Banoffee Pie

Tuesday
Roast rib of beef (AKA Daisy from the farm we were staying on), dauphanoise, roast pots, parsnips, carrots and soy/garlic broccoli
-
Very chocolately chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream

Wednesday
Proscutto, baked figs (from the farm grounds), mozzarella and basil
-
Honey roast salmon, " mediterranean" rice (basmati and wild rice with peppers, olives, red onion and pine nuts), avocado (in lemon dressing) and salsa verdi.
-
Mandarin Cheesecake

Thursday
Lebanese lentil and spinach soup, with houmous and toasted pittas
-
Lemon and coriander chicken, roasted cinnamon and cumin sweet potatoes, harissa sauce, yoghurt sauce and "jewelled" cous-cous (onions, garlic, sun-dried toms, peppers).
-
Lebanese orange cake with yoghurt and honey

Friday
Onion bhajis with mint raita
-
Chicken dhal and pineapple curry
Lamb Achari
Pilau rice
Garlic naan
Onion, cucumber, tomato and mint salad
-
Cookie dough ice cream pie

Overall, everything went pretty well. Facilities were much improved on last year (still a domestic kitchen, but much larger and better equipped). I'm definitely getting better at knowing my limitations and designing a menu to suit. The only slight negative was an accident with the Lentil and Spinach soup, which gave me 2nd degree burns on my foot. Volume cooking and bare feet do not make happy bedfellows, kids.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

:shock: 8-) You don't ever do anything by halves do you Neil
Left over crest; tightens.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

JonMad wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:34 pm :shock: 8-) You don't ever do anything by halves do you Neil
The more time goes on, the more appropriate the sentiment of my sig becomes ;)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"