Lockdown cookery thread.

McSwede

Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by McSwede »

Decided to do a little baking this morning. A pear upside down cake and a slow cooker loaf of bread. Looking forward to taste tests!

DaveE

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by DaveE »

We've got into the habit of cooking more veggies than we need for dinner, then having bubble and squeak the following morning...
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

15% fat Angus beef mince, salt, pepper all smushed up into a burger patty. Add babybel to centre and pop in the fridge.
3 thick pork belly cuts, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and popped under the grill but on top of foil to let them sit in the fat.

Lurverly.

The wife made more Greek yoghurt and flour naan breads which taste amazing but I’m keeping off them.

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Loaf looks great. Got a recipe ?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve been eating pretty well since we’ve been on lockdown as my missus is a chef and she’s not been working.

Favourites so far have been potato and spinach curry with daal and Mapo Tofu with soy mince instead of pork.

Only picture I’ve taken so far is of the giant breakfast I made last Saturday to make one of my mates jealous :lol:
6468F0EE-0AAB-4638-84A9-147C76B80C6A.jpeg
6468F0EE-0AAB-4638-84A9-147C76B80C6A.jpeg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
She made the scrambled tofu.

I also made kebabs with vivera shawarma and veggies on the leftover naans from the curry, which were amazing.

She’s been working out her vegan baking as well. We’ve had carrot cake, cookies and lemon and poppie seed muffins so far. They’ve all been tremendous.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Carlos wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:47 pm Loaf looks great. Got a recipe ?
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slo ... source=app
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The inability to just run to the shops means I've been more inventive when cooking.

Not following recipes too closely, but good for inspiration.

Kale and leek pasta was nice (in a white sauce)
Homemade burgers (not inventive, just good) including the rolls
Coleslaw using whatever greens are delivered. Kalettes, broccoli, PSB and kohlrabi all work
Mushroom duxelle served in a scooped out potato baked in a tomato sauce was okay, but needed longer cooking to really work
Hoisin pork on rice was very yummy
Wife is about to start baking lots, so there'll be cake aplenty
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’m firing up the BBQ this evening...

Home made Burgers, chicken kebabs in hot sauce, and a little chef’s privilege, chipotle meatballs with chipotle glaze...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:18 pm I’m firing up the BBQ this evening...

Home made Burgers, chicken kebabs in hot sauce, and a little chef’s privilege, chipotle meatballs with chipotle glaze...
I did homemade burgers and hot chicken thighs the other day. Very good too!!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

And inspired by the first picture in the thread, I've now got an upsidedown pear cake in the oven.
---
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Personally, I was simply thrilled when the Guardian helpfully published this scrummy recipe for a quick, healthy snack using only staples found in the store cupboard.

Click

I’ve really been struggling to use the Shaoxing wine, Lebanese cucumbers and Furikake that I’ve had nestling in the pantry for quite some time now, so this was a real delight.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:30 pm And inspired by the first picture in the thread, I've now got an upsidedown pear cake in the oven.
Have it delivered to my door with some maple syrup and custard please, time is of the essence!!

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Maurice wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:59 pm Personally, I was simply thrilled when the Guardian helpfully published this scrummy recipe for a quick, healthy snack using only staples found in the store cupboard.

Click

I’ve really been struggling to use the Shaoxing wine, Lebanese cucumbers and Furikake that I’ve had nestling in the pantry for quite some time now, so this was a real delight.
I was making fun of it on twitter when my missus pointed out that we have Mirin and Furikake in the cupboard. No Lebanese cucumbers though so it still counts :lol:
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:01 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:30 pm And inspired by the first picture in the thread, I've now got an upsidedown pear cake in the oven.
Have it delivered to my door with some maple syrup and custard please, time is of the essence!!

Dave!
Soz. Had it as afternoon snack. Kids loved it!

Here's a picture, if it helps...
---
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

MrsREV was missing our too-regular McDonald’s breakfasts so she found some sausage patties in Tesco’s and made her own. They were lovely.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:23 pm
V8Granite wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:01 pm

Dave!
Soz. Had it as afternoon snack. Kids loved it!

Here's a picture, if it helps...
Tremendous. It's a great cake/pudding. I had a little of mine at lunch time and will have some more after Dinner with some custard.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It was very nice. Don't think I've done a pear version before, but it works well. Didn't have any stem ginger syrup, so doubled the dark rum quantity instead.
---
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Second try at the jelly dildo cake still suffering technical difficulties (gelatine and fondant don't play well together)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Simon

Post by Simon »

Freud would have a field day...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:28 pm MrsREV was missing our too-regular McDonald’s breakfasts so she found some sausage patties in Tesco’s and made her own. They were lovely.

That looks almost perfect Rev...😎
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…