Lockdown cookery thread.

Beany

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by Beany »

Must be said, I've been having a very dull diet of late (mostly beef based) - I saw, I think it was Caroline Broads FB pics of roasted peppers and good god I want to cook some of those now.

Really need to diversify my cookery a bit beyond 'what can you throw in the air fryer?' :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Wife accidentally ordered 2 salad boxes with our large veg box. We have a fvck ton of tomatoes, cucumber, lettuces, red peppers and wild garlic.

I've still not tried my hot sauce tonsee if it's calmed down. From smelling it, and subsequently losing my nose hairs and stripping the moisture from my eyes I'd say it needs a bit more time yet :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I inadvertently managed to make the best spag bol sauce ever (that I've made) today. Ideally it should have sat on the hob bubbling away for another hour, but ravenous munchkins aren't known for being patient. It had just the right thickness, good depth of flavour and was very toothsome.

No idea if I'll ever be able to replicate it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A little brown sugar is the secret...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We’ve started putting about a tablespoon of ketchup into tomato sauces instead of sugar. It helps thicken it a bit more and adds a bit of seasoning.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I didn't use sugar or ketchup. I have in the past though.

I started by browning the meat in some oil, then added leeks (two large ones), half an onion (leftover from lunch), and eight cloves of garlic (we have a glut). Let that simmer away while chopping carrots and mushrooms ready to go in (6yo had his first go at chopping, happy to report all fingers still attached and intact). Add the veg and some sea purslane (got it in our veg box, adds a nice sea salty flavour), and let cook for about 10 mins at medium heat.

Separately poured 200ish ml of boiling water over a beef stock cube and added Italian herbs, a good squeeze of concentrated tomato puree, a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Once thoroughly mixed I poured it in with a large (500ml) can of passata.

Mix the whole thing together, add a good couple turns of ground pepper and leave to bubble away while folding laundry and tidying the kitchen (last two actions may not impact on flavour).

Five mins before serving I added a handful of frozen peas.

Served with linguini and grated parmesan.
---
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My Italian mate swears that the right way to do it is to brown your mince to dry and actually properly browned. Set aside

Make your tomato sauce as you prefer and only add the mince back in right before you serve.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Worth a try!
---
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The right* way is not with mince, using beef and guanciale, no chopped tomatoes (just stock and tom puree). And with Tagliatelle.

* by that I mean ragu Bolognese. Spag bol though isn't really Italian so crack on as you like. When we use mince we'll tend to brown it (til it starts to.pop and crackle) set aside and then do the onion, celery and carrot. Then back in with puree and chopped toms and beef stock. Top tip from me is to add some milk - enriches the meatiness.

I much prefer either way with Tagliatelle over Spaghetti. Could eat my own bodyweight in Tag I reckon - love the stuff
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Linguine Is my preferred pasta - ideally with Pork and Beef meatballs with passata and chilli.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

mik wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm Image
Awesome 8-)

But what’s for main course?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:39 pm Linguine Is my preferred pasta - ideally with Pork and Beef meatballs with passata and chilli.
I’m Team Fusilli 8-)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

My dad got me 2 bannetons for my birthday last month and I've finally got around to using them. Well actually I used one 2 weeks ago but the bread was mysteriously eaten before anyone could grab a picture. This one was very tasty:

Made using just T55 French bread flour, water, fresh yeast and salt
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:40 pm My dad got me 2 bannetons for my birthday last month and I've finally got around to using them. Well actually I used one 2 weeks ago but the bread was mysteriously eaten before anyone could grab a picture. This one was very tasty:

Made using just T55 French bread flour, water, fresh yeast and salt
Tres bien!!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Looks nice!
---
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:52 pm ... ragu Bolognese. ... Top tip from me is to add some milk - enriches the meatiness.
That's in Heston's recipe in his book on finding the best versions of everyday meals.

Made a nice risotto last night. pea and asparagus with lemon and sumac. A bit of parmesan and butter added at the end.
Left over crest; tightens.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 pm Must be said, I've been having a very dull diet of late (mostly beef based) - I saw, I think it was Caroline Broads FB pics of roasted peppers and good god I want to cook some of those now.

Really need to diversify my cookery a bit beyond 'what can you throw in the air fryer?' :lol:
I have not done this yet :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

JonMad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:14 pm
Made a nice risotto last night. pea and asparagus with lemon and sumac. A bit of parmesan and butter added at the end.
That sounds really interesting Jon. Shame we just chucked our sumac out as it was 5yo :lol: Did a tomato and tarragon risotto earlier this week with fresh toms and some sundried ones. Was tasty
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Beany wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:18 pm
Beany wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 pm Must be said, I've been having a very dull diet of late (mostly beef based) - I saw, I think it was Caroline Broads FB pics of roasted peppers and good god I want to cook some of those now.

I have not done this yet :lol:
Go on boy, its the weeked. Let's see something ?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nash, I've had a horrible long week and now just need something simple.

And beer. Lots of beer.