Lockdown cookery thread.

RobYob

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by RobYob »

unzippy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:45 am
RobYob wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:09 pm Toasties above a certain thickness warrant toasting on the sides as well.
Why are they called toasties when fried in oil in a pan?
Laying the ham down first in the pan with cheese between it and the bread can result in exceedingly scrumptious caremelisation of both cheese and ham.
That is all.
Not to be confused with a Jaffle!
God no, parents had a jaffle iron, after sitting in the fire for ten minutes it produced filling the temperature of molten lava. Couldn't eat it for half an hour.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Threw some short crust pastry together, in the mixer was a piece of piss. Made delicious lemon custard tarts.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Meanwhile I used cheats pastry and made a nice chicken pie. And I’ve been on a pastry course too - need to put that into action.
Left over crest; tightens.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Bananas seem to have become larger under lockdown :?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I really fancied a BBQ today but the 4 of us are barely speaking after a tough day of home schooling and trying to work so opted to whip up a Lasagne with the questionable looking mince and veg in the fridge 😀
Last edited by Carlos on Wed May 06, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

It ain't pretty but it hasn't gone through my son so pretty pleased with that 😎

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Made a chilli sauce. Had some green chillies and scotch bonnets that had been in the freezer for an indeterminate number of years. Plus a fresh red chilli and then 4 dried Chipotles with a best before of Dec 2016 (no way did we buy them that long ago, nope, not having it)

We'd just had carbonara and the skillet was caked in bacon fat and goodness. So that got deglazed and these bad boys added to dry roast

Chipotles soaked in the bacon juice and then the lot got wizzed up. Cyder vinegar added along with bacon juice a bit of sugar, some pomegranate molasses, a pinch of cumin and salt and a smidge of bomba tomato puree. All let down a bit with some water.

If anyone ever tells you that chillis lose heat over the years in either the freezer or dried, punch them in the face. This. Is. Blindingly hot. Wife tried it and lost the hearing in one ear. My voice went.

Smashing. I'll let it sit for a few weeks in the fridge and it should be bob on. IME they get better with age and a little fermentation
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Thu May 07, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Post by mik »

:lol: Nice one Mike - I wouldn’t know where to start to make my own. 8-)

For completely unknown reasons I checked the web page tonight for our fave curry shop in town - Mother India Café - only to find a notice that they were opening today for takeaway only.

Gnnnnn. :shock:

Took 15mins to get through on the phone.

When I did, there was a 40min wait for food. No probs - they aren’t close :?

By the time I collected it they were quoting 1hr45 waiting time to people on the phone.

We got a bit overexcited and our bill was about 40% up on our normal amount, but whatever was left after we gorged on the nectar will keep eh? Well it would if we hadn’t greedily devoured every drop, with everyone mumbling “oh god that is amazing” with every bite. :oops:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

:lol:

One of our previous favourites had gone downhill with poor hygiene ratings and we stopped using them a couple of years ago. Then last week we decided to have a curry with the little one - his 1st takeaway curry at 4yo. We spotted they did early delivery amd then checked the hygiene rating on Just Eat. Back up to 4. Get in.

It. Was. Amazing. Even the boy devoured his 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We had the same with our local Thai. Got a notice they were doing takeaways with Deliveroo. Wasn't tough to convince the family that we needed that for dinner. Was yummy.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

Bit of an unusual one this - we saw a recipe for nettle soup in one of my son's magazines so decided to give it a try and go foraging in the field/woods behind the house.

After spending ages finding ones that hadn't flowered (not good for you apparently) I became a bit of a tart about it and used a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall recipe to make the soup rather than his kiddies version. Turned out to be pretty delicious!

Last edited by GG. on Mon May 11, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I made the Ikea Meatballs and creamy sauce. Lush.
Left over crest; tightens.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I made my best effort at meatball subs last night.

The keys were using Passatta instead of tomatoes for the sauce and using garlic bread
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

GG. wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:22 pm Turned out to be pretty delicious!

That'll be the dog piss adding a certain something 😂😂

Good effort though!
GG.

Post by GG. »

The picking notes specifically addressed the piss issue - don't pick the ones below knee height and only the top leaves :lol: :shock:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

GG. wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:59 pm The picking notes specifically addressed the piss issue - don't pick the ones below knee height and only the top leaves :lol: :shock:
👍 Looks good too.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Cooking chicken leg/thighs on the BBQ then they will be shredded and tossed with fried onions/peppers with some Holy Fuck Sauce and wrapped up in warm homemade flat bread.

Dessert will be an apricot cobbler (forgot I didn't have any peaches).

Yummy I hope!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

GG. wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:22 pm Bit of an unusual one this - we saw a recipe for nettle soup in one of my son's magazines so decided to give it a try and go foraging in the field/woods behind the house.

After spending ages finding ones that hadn't flowered (not good for you apparently) I became a bit of a tart about it and used a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall recipe to make the soup rather than his kiddies version. Turned out to be pretty delicious!

I got some wild garlic and wild leeks.

The first batch of the garlic made some oil (blanch in boiling water, refresh in cold, blitz with oil, leave to steep, pass through a chinoise) which is so awesome on salads (we've got through half a litre of it in just over a week!), I went out and got some more and made a pesto (toasted pine nuts, toasted cashews, parmesan, EV olive oil) - half went in some pasta with leftover roast pork, mozzarella and red peppers, the other half went on some cod fillets with sauted potatoes. white asparagus and a caper butter.

The wild leeks were a bit meh, like mild spring onions with a hint of grass cuttings. Maybe OK in salads, but I probably wouldn't bother collecting them again.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:14 pm Cooking chicken leg/thighs on the BBQ then they will be shredded and tossed with fried onions/peppers with some Holy Fuck Sauce and wrapped up in warm homemade flat bread.

Dessert will be an apricot cobbler (forgot I didn't have any peaches).

Yummy I hope!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Nefarious wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 pm I got some wild garlic
This one is next on my list - probably a bit less easy to find that nettles however...