Lockdown cookery thread.

dinny_g

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by dinny_g »

👍🏻
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just doing a "thrown together" tray bake. Custard, chocolate and strawberry jam. Hopefully it'll have a brownie consistency 🤞
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Middle child is a bit unruly today, so he is being distracted by baking. It will be something like cherry bakewells..
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve start trying non alcoholic beers as I’ve been craving a beer with this nice weather.

Tried Erdinger’s one last night and it was pretty decent.

Got ones from Brooklyn and Thornbridge to try as I like beers from both of them.

Anyone had any good ones?
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:57 pm I’ve start trying non alcoholic beers as I’ve been craving a beer with this nice weather.

Tried Erdinger’s one last night and it was pretty decent.

Got ones from Brooklyn and Thornbridge to try as I like beers from both of them.

Anyone had any good ones?
Bitburger. Good German stuff. I drank a few one night at a bar with a mate and took a while to realise 🤣
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:36 am https://theribman.co.uk/collections/sauces

> HolyFuck = Mildest
> Christ On A Bike
> Holy Mother Of God
> Judas Is Scarey Hot = hottest

But then he had other sauces now with specific focus, so I don’t know how they rate. I’d say Buffalo is similar in kick to HolyFuck.

He’s stocking the online shop at 5pm tonight. Friday night he put up 200kg of rib meat and it sold out in 8mins, so if you are interested - set an alarm on yer phone. 😊
Thanks Mik. I've ordered some Holy Fuck and Buffalo to give it a whirl. 👍
mik

Post by mik »

Excellent choices sir 😀
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:47 pm Excellent choices sir 😀
I'm no chilli hero so thought I'd dip a toe in the shallow end 😂
mik

Post by mik »

Me neither - I like tasty spiciness - not just heat. 😎

I’ve seen a video of people after eating wings with his hottest sauce and they have that wide-eyed “I think I might die” look like people after they decide they can handle eating a ghost pepper. I have no interest in that shit! :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:11 pm Me neither - I like tasty spiciness - not just heat. 😎

I’ve seen a video of people after eating wings with his hottest sauce and they have that wide-eyed “I think I might die” look like people after they decide they can handle eating a ghost pepper. I have no interest in that shit! :lol:
Tasty spiciness covers it beautifully. Heat and flavour rather than extreme heat and agony 🤣
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Toasties above a certain thickness warrant toasting on the sides as well.
Why are they called toasties when fried in oil in a pan?
Laying the ham down first in the pan with cheese between it and the bread can result in exceedingly scrumptious caremelisation of both cheese and ham.
That is all.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

With the turn in the weather, I’m doing a full Roast Chicken dinner with all the trimmings. Pigs in blankets, Sausage meat stuffing, the works.

If we had crackers, it could be Christmas...😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Better get more booze in for NY next week then!

[mention]RobYob[/mention] you call thing a toastie when frying? :?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We make toasties in the frying pan as well. We don’t put oil in though, just butter the outside of the bread like a normal person :lol:
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

We have a simple Flat-plate Breville thing - was about £16 from Asda and is a doddle to clean. Little bit of butter on the outside of the bread.

I can see that a dry frying pan could replicate that. But with oil it’s a fried thing Shirley?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:13 pm We make toasties in the frying pan as well. We don’t put oil in though, just butter the outside of the bread like a normal person :lol:
Is this like an American 'Grilled Cheese'. Which isn't exactly grilled if it's done in a frying pan. I guess they might do it on a grill (BBQ) :lol:
Left over crest; tightens.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

JonMad wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:23 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:13 pm We make toasties in the frying pan as well. We don’t put oil in though, just butter the outside of the bread like a normal person :lol:
Is this like an American 'Grilled Cheese'. Which isn't exactly grilled if it's done in a frying pan. I guess they might do it on a grill (BBQ) :lol:
Yeah, basically. It’s actually the same as doing a toastie in a panini press or one of those little machines but you can make them as big as you like and they don’t get crushed down.

I like to really fill mines so I finish them in a low oven to make sure it’s properly melted in the middle.

Love a toastie :lol:
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

As it's olive oil it makes the toastie into a health food. ;)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Stock making today. Had the carcass of the chicken from Sunday's BBQ, and another in the freezer from a few weeks ago. 14 chicken stock cubes ready to go in the fridge and then freezer:

unzippy

Post by unzippy »

RobYob wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:09 pm Toasties above a certain thickness warrant toasting on the sides as well.
Why are they called toasties when fried in oil in a pan?
Laying the ham down first in the pan with cheese between it and the bread can result in exceedingly scrumptious caremelisation of both cheese and ham.
That is all.
Not to be confused with a Jaffle!
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division