Lockdown cookery thread.

mik

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:58 pm
mik wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:55 pm Yes a heaped tablespoon of it in one go certainly cleared my sinuses. And retina.
You only have one?
After that - yes - a total of one remaining - shared between both eyeballs.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:07 pm
mik wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:55 pm Yes a heaped tablespoon of it in one go certainly cleared my sinuses. And retina.
You only have one?
That sounds bad. My best friend is an ophthalmologist, want me to ask his advice?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:08 pm

You only have one?
That sounds bad. My best friend is an ophthalmologist, want me to ask his advice?
Yeah I could go and see him. If. You know. I could see....
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:14 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:08 pm

Yeah I could go and see him. If. You know. I could see....
I geddit. He is in Denmark though, so perhaps it would be quicker to drive to Barnard's Castle.
---
mik

Post by mik »

Leaving in the next 8 minutes!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

One mild mustard and I’m on my arse, hot food is the work of the devil!!!

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I love all sorts of Mustards for all sorts uses. From cheapo American Yellow Mustard in a sandwich with Gherkins or on a burger, to Wholegrain stirred into Mash, to French Mustard with a steak.

Not massive amounts - just enough. Not like my bro who spreads Coleman’s on the bread like it’s butter...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

So the verdict is in.

Littlest one (2): ate her jacket, meat under duress (i.e. I'll have one bite, you have one bite. Probably shouldn't complain as I got more meat)
Middle one (4): told me he'd told me lots of times he didn't like steak. Ate potato, broccoli and a bit of meat
Eldest (7): complimented the dinner, deliberated about the different levels of doneness and settled on preferring rare.

I'm calling it a reasonable outcome. Have almost a whole steak leftover, so tomorrow's dinner is sorted.
---
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:19 pm Have almost a whole steak leftover, so tonights snack is sorted.
Fixed that for you.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Beany wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:20 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:19 pm Have almost a whole steak leftover, so tonights snack is sorted.
Fixed that for you.
Nah. The very excellent and entirely adequately sized piece of carrot cake that followed made short order of any space left in the stomach.

Just finishing my wine before tackling the tidying.
---
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Christmas Cake worked a treat! Really pleased with it.

I’ll share the pics once it’s all finished
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Made the best roast chicken ever (at least one cooked by me).

Salted the skin and left it in the fridge overnight, then, inspired by Babish's Thanksgiving meal on YouTube, started the roasting breast side down with the wings tucked in.

When the breast registered 50c I flipped the chicken over and waited for the temp to reach 74c.

It was amazing. Crispy skin, moist, deeply flavoured meat, and nothing was dry. Served with roast potatoes and Brussels and broccoli (the veg was parboiled, then dumped in a hot pan with some of the chicken fat that I'd skimmed off the sauce).

Nice red wine to go with the mains, and a brownie with ice cream for pudding.
---
mik

Post by mik »

Sounds epic 8-)

Mrs mik made rump-steak stew in a red wine sauce tonight that had me licking my plate, and frustrated that I couldn’t fit my face into the pot to so the same.....
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My new boss has just sent me a Christmas gift of a trio of rocketship sauces. Quite excited to try them when they arrive!

Went for original, solar and supernova.
---
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

My kids have been self isolating for the last 10 days and their well-being has suffered from lack of exercise and being out with their friends.

I've encouraged cooking after online schooling rather than hitting the Xbox and yesterday we did Mary Berrys Sausage and Spinach Lasagne.. We added some red peppers to the sausage mix to get more veggies in but it was an absolute winner with us demolition it together which is a rare occasion at the moment.

No pics as the kids are to cool got shit lol
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:20 pm Made the best roast chicken ever (at least one cooked by me).

Salted the skin and left it in the fridge overnight, then, inspired by Babish's Thanksgiving meal on YouTube, started the roasting breast side down with the wings tucked in.

When the breast registered 50c I flipped the chicken over and waited for the temp to reach 74c.

I'll have a crack at this with the Meater the weekend 😎
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Carlos wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:42 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:20 pm Made the best roast chicken ever (at least one cooked by me).

I'll have a crack at this with the Meater the weekend 😎
Well worth it.
---
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

My top tip for crispy skinned roast chicken is to squeeze half a lemon on the skin and rub the juice in. Chuck the squeezed lemon half inside the chicken and roast. I do usually salt it, but for the health conscious you really don't need to - the lemon does the job perfectly every time. I've even stopped putting butter on or under the skin, and now just showe a sprig of thyme under instead :shock:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Salting it and leaving overnight also intensifies the flavour. But I'll try the lemon next time (as you I shove a lemon inside).
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:16 am Salting it and leaving overnight also intensifies the flavour. But I'll try the lemon next time (as you I shove a lemon inside).
Clarification: inside the chicken obviously.
---