Lockdown cookery thread.

duncs500

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by duncs500 »

GG. wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:57 pm Are you connected with this legitimate business Mik?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... s-13605591
:lol: Maybe they put something special in the rolls to make mik like them more.
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]GG.[/mention] Only in the form of consuming their products thankfully.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just dropped a full tin of Birds custard powder in the kitchen. Wow, that stuff is fine. Gets bloody everywhere. What a frickin ballache!!! 😂😂
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I got cast new Iron skillets and cooked filet steaks in one for the first time last night.

Only way to cook ‘em
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I just realised why my pastry isn't doing what it should. Used the sugar measure from the filling... Three times the quantity and the wrong type. Paul Hollywood wouldn't be impressed.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Before the sole tart (was rather sweet as you can imagine) I did the best roast chicken I've ever made I think.

Rubbed it with herby butter under the skin and it was amazing!
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

New cleaver arrived today via AliExpress. Initial impressions are very good. Feels nice in the hand and is very sharp. No idea how durable the blade will be but for less than £15 delivered WGAF. I have a 15deg sharpener for when it dulls.

mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:28 pm I just realised why my pastry isn't doing what it should. Used the sugar measure from the filling... Three times the quantity and the wrong type. Paul Hollywood wouldn't be impressed.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:44 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:28 pm I just realised why my pastry isn't doing what it should. Used the sugar measure from the filling... Three times the quantity and the wrong type. Paul Hollywood wouldn't be impressed.
:shock:
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:12 pm
mik wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:44 pm
:shock:
The man's a genius.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:53 pm I got cast new Iron skillets and cooked filet steaks in one for the first time last night.
The smaller skillet was pressed into service at the weekend on the BBQ - stuck it in the corner and let some onions sauté away.. Mmmmmm
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Posting as I’m no cook, but was asked to do dinner tonight....

N’Duja (as per the Bacon thread)
Chorizo
Sweet corn
Pine nuts
Red Pesto
Blob of soured cream

Served on a bed of spaghetti.

It was teh awesumes 8-)

(No pics - too hungry)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I did a vegetable stir fry on rice the other day. Used less than a quarter of a small "normal" red chilli and it packed silly heat! Fine for me but the kids weren't impressed. Ended up having to slather theirs in plain yogurt to take the heat down :roll:
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Had a nice food delivery today from Turner and George. Any stuff I've had before has been superb! I rave on about the mutton mince to anyone that'll listen. You'll never bother with lamb mince again. It's epic.

1.8kg of onglet (hanger steak)
2x Ribeye fillet steaks
Pork escalopes
Pork ribs
8 packs of mutton mince (fucking awesome BTW)

I'll be doing Dishoom's Keema Pau with the Mutton mince for starters.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My barbecue gas ran out last weekend, fortunately just before I put the bacon on it. I suspect I can buy a second gas canister as a spare now; there were none available in April/May when I replaced it.

That looks a nice haul from Turner & George, anyway :D
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

McSwede wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:14 pm I rave on about the mutton mince to anyone that'll listen. You'll never bother with lamb mince again. It's epic.
There's a local farm that only supplies its sheep as Hogget and I rave about it to anyone who'll listen. Gives nothing away to lamb in terms of tenderness, but is proper tasty like mutton.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Nefarious wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:31 am
McSwede wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:14 pm I rave on about the mutton mince to anyone that'll listen. You'll never bother with lamb mince again. It's epic.
There's a local farm that only supplies its sheep as Hogget and I rave about it to anyone who'll listen. Gives nothing away to lamb in terms of tenderness, but is proper tasty like mutton.
Sounds 👍. I love the extra flavour.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I eat at Dishoom restaurants quite often and love their chilli chicken starter so decided to make it myself today. It was bloody brilliant 🤣 More chilli next time though as not quite hot enough but what a great dish!!

Dishoom's Keema Pau is coming up later in the week.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Been craving a burger for a few days, so ended up doing smash burgers, with sweet potato/potato chips and slaw. Most excellent dinner!

Never tried the smash method before. I would always add herbs, spices, bread crumbs, egg, gherkins, etc. to the meat, but frankly with good quality mince it isn't needed. Just a bit of salt and pepper and keeping the burgers simple: mayo, beef tomato, cucumber, lettuce, red onion, burger, cheese, mustard. Just great on a windy Saturday after a 6k walk (that took 3h, because munchkins).
---
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Funny - did burgers tonight myself. I never add anything - just mince then season on the first turn. And I'm a great believer in keeping toppings simple as well.

It was pork burgers tonight and as it's the 1st Portuguese race since '96 I decided to go with a Portuguese twist - made up a Bifana sauce to top them with and it was bloody lovely.

Dead simple - fried 1 clove of garlic in olive oil to soften, added a pinch of dried oregano and half tsp of paprika. Cooked out for a bit then juice and zest of half a lemon followed up by a glass of dry white wine. Reduced down to a sticky consistency. After doing the burgers I deglazed the skillet with a bit of water and slung that in the sauce. Served it with sauce on the burgers along with some smashed up pink peppercorns and lettuce. Fairly simple but packed with a punch of flavour
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.