Deck chair locking clip jobbies

DeskJockey

Deck chair locking clip jobbies

Post by DeskJockey »

The locking clip thingies on our deck chairs have broken, I guess the plastic has become brittle over the years. Don't want to throw away otherwise good chairs, but I can't find replacement clips (or whatever they're called). It is the three quarter circle clips that the rod across the back clip into setting the angle and locking the back in place securely.

What are they called?

Yours truly,

Confused in Kent.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Deck chair locking clip jobbies

Post by Rich B »

If only there was a way of getting some kind of photo on to the web. Maybe you could draw it on MS paint? Or some other way?!!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Yeah, yeah. I know.

Here's a picture. The top one is still (mostly) intact, but they're all fairly tired.

So what are they called? Anyone with an idea of where I could get some?
---
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

They look pretty bespoke, find some thick plastic from something else and make one using the in tact one as a pattern.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:44 pm They look pretty bespoke, find some thick plastic from something else and make one using the in tact one as a pattern.
Utter piffle. This is an occasion for evonomics. Buy an extravagant 3d printer, should be 1 or 2 steps above what you need. Purchase autocad licence for soon to be bought high end PC and bobs your uncle! No need to thank me. 😂
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'd be knocking some up out of a bit of aluminium plate, a hacksaw and a couple of files.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

McSwede wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:44 pm They look pretty bespoke, find some thick plastic from something else and make one using the in tact one as a pattern.
Utter piffle. This is an occasion for evonomics. Buy an extravagant 3d printer, should be 1 or 2 steps above what you need. Purchase autocad licence for soon to be bought high end PC and bobs your uncle! No need to thank me. 😂
This needs a Haas 5 axis milling machine if you want the job done properly with a bit of titanium so it doesn’t wear again. Plastic is for plebs.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Harry is correct.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:58 pm I'd be knocking some up out of a bit of aluminium plate, a hacksaw and a couple of files.
Yeah, and in all seriousness if that seems too much, check out where the local engineering shops are, and see if they'll take material cost + hourly rate (probably not a huge amount) to make up some replacement plates if it's not your cup of tea.

Walk in with a box of biscuits, a template and a smile and you'd be amazed the shit you can get done for relatively cheap by fabricators!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

If you can be bothered waiting, you can stick one in the post to me and I'll make you up a set. Drop me a PM.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Nefarious wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 am If you can be bothered waiting, you can stick one in the post to me and I'll make you up a set. Drop me a PM.
Much appreciated! PM on the way.
---
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

This is much better than approaching someone with biscuits and lube.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Today I got around to making the replacement wooden supports for the deck chair. Using a fraction of the Timculator's capabilities I justified ordering a workbench, clamps, new drill bits, files and a hole drill set so that I could make two new supports.

WIP

Just needed some filing/planing to make it smooth(er). Turns out my measuring of the small holes was off, so that required some fettling.

And done! Yes the wood colour is wrong, but it was what I had lying around. I used the old clips (have fitted Nef's ones to the other chair). I couldn't quite get the screws that hold the support to the frame flush as I didn't have a drill bit big enough (needed a 13mm, only had up to 11), but it doesn't impact on the functioning.

And the completed item. It has been sat in, it didn't collapse.
---
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Good work. Now get some outdoor stain/varnish on the new bits and jobs a good'un ;-)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Trigger's Deckchair 8-)
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Good skills DJ!
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ascender wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:32 am Good skills DJ!
Thanks, not sure I would take it that far. But I've decided to try to repair/DIY more.

Next project is sorting out the boys' room. Have ordered bunk beds and was going to order the shelves we've decided on, but IKEA can't deliver half the bits we need so will have to wait until they open again. Just need to convince the boys that "kiwi crush" is perhaps not the right colour for the feature wall...
---
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:46 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:32 am Good skills DJ!
But I've decided to try to repair/DIY more.
The laundry basket blew off the table and cracked :(

It's now a drift basket :lol:
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division