Tyre inflators/compressors?

Zonda_

Tyre inflators/compressors?

Post by Zonda_ »

I’ve had a Ring one for a long time but it’s pressure read out is all over the place now. You can connect it to the valve and it will show one pressure then as soon as you switch it on it will give a huge jump then start rising and dropping so you have no idea what pressure you have. What do you use?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Tyre inflators/compressors?

Post by Matty »

£10 manual foot pump from Halfords and an electronic tyre pressure gauge to check it afterwards.
Simon

Post by Simon »

This pump (after a number of the £10 efforts have died on me over the years) and this gauge for checking the actual pressure accurately. I tend to over inflate slightly then use the button on the Draper gauge to lower the pressure until I hit the right point. They both fit in the bag together that the Heyner came with.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

This:
https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-e ... 39116.html
Is the pressure gauge I bought - gets well reviewed for accuracy, it's cheap and has a tyre depth measure too.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I can’t recommend what to get but I can tell you what to be aware of before you buy. I recently bought a swanky new Halfords digital jobbie that plugs into the cigarette lighter (sorry, 12v socket...) and once you get your head round the logic to operate it it does it’s job fine, except you need to put an extra half a PSI in because it’s a screw connector and when you go to remove it from the tyre valve it pisses air out until you’ve finished unscrewing it.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

One of these:

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RAC830

Much faster than the smaller one I had before. Tends to shut off a bit early though so I often set it a couple of psi high and then fine tune after.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Simon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:37 am This pump (after a number of the £10 efforts have died on me over the years) and this gauge for checking the actual pressure accurately. I tend to over inflate slightly then use the button on the Draper gauge to lower the pressure until I hit the right point. They both fit in the bag together that the Heyner came with.
I've got that draper gauge - i've checked it side by side with the Intercomp one we use for the race car and its bob on.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Don't fuel stations have these anymore or am I missing something. Never felt the need to have one at home 😱😱😂
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

McSwede wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:23 pm Don't fuel stations have these anymore or am I missing something. Never felt the need to have one at home 😱😱😂
They're very often broken!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

McSwede wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:23 pm Don't fuel stations have these anymore or am I missing something. Never felt the need to have one at home 😱😱😂
Really? I've used mine regularly.
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:27 pm
And they very often charge.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:11 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:27 pm
And they very often charge.
I've never seen one that didn't charge!
Beany

Post by Beany »

The one at Sainsburies in Scarborough never charged, although that might have changed in the three years I've been away from there.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I bought the Draper gauge recommended on here and it’s proven very reliable. I checked it when I bought it on our handheld calibrator and it was bang on. Not done it in the 2 years since mind you.

I found the garage compressors were wildly out, I use them
If I have to and then set the pressure with the gauge, normally I find the pressures are high.

I have a T-Maxx compressor which is overkill for most but a big Defender tyre takes forever on anything smaller.

Dave!
Barry

Post by Barry »

I use an old pencil gauge, and a twin chamber foot pump. Don't trust the built in gauges.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Afaik every Sainsbury fuel station has a free pump.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I quite like checking and adjusting my pressures cold, rather than driving 5 miles to Sainsburys. I have a reliable old Halfords compressor which still sees regular use, and a Ring one which is newer, pumps up tyres more quickly, but the plastic body is cracked because it's made of cheap shit and it cuts off at a preset pressure, yet I never remember how to adjust it because it's such a faff. So I don't use it.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Aye, I was following up on the fuel station pump comments, and Sainsbury's had been mentioned.
Slightly off topic Jobbo, does your CLS manual give a range of pressures (aside from the usual normal and loaded) e.g. when hot, when going on the autobahn, etc etc?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Not particularly - the paper manual directs you to the fuel flap where you get this: Image

The manual also says you can lower pressures up to 3psi if you don’t go over 210km/h and that’s fine, and otherwise that the pressures given on the fuel flap sticker are minimum pressures only.

You’ve reminded me to raise them to see if it improves economy though, cheers.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve used an air compressor for a while now, used to use the jump starter which had a built in compressor for years though. However it had a thick clamp on style fitting which made it unsuitable for some applications. This is one of my best tools now after being recommended by my tyre fitter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCL-AFG4H03-P ... 66&sr=8-10
Made in the U.K. with calibration certificate, it’s rebranded by Sealey and many others for close to double the price. The best bit is it’s properly made and has a narrow push on head. A joy to use.
How about not having a sig at all?