New Labour leader

Zonda_

New Labour leader

Post by Zonda_ »

Keir Starmer. Don't know much about him but he came across pretty well in interviews I've seen.

Awaits comments informing me he is actually the anti-Christ....
NotoriousREV

Re: New Labour leader

Post by NotoriousREV »

From what I know about him, I think he’s a decent bloke with a sensible head on his shoulders. I’m just not sure if he has the charisma to win over the public.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I preferred Nandy, but he's ok AFAIK.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I just always got the sense that Nandy was a bit gaffe-prone but couldn’t tell you why.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

That was radio 4s favourite story until Corona - it’s hardly even been mentioned since. He was always the favourite though.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I would’ve quite liked Rebecca Long-Bailey to get it but it was always going to be Starmer.

A walk back towards the centre will probably gain them voters, just hope it doesn’t end up too New Labour.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I wonder where all “Karl Marx was basically a Tory” ultra-left wankers are going to end up?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I could see some sort of momentum left wing party trying to get going if Labour goes very noticeably towards the centre but Starmer has said that he’s going to try and balance it.

Hard to do when a lot on the left see the liberal centre as spineless bootlickers though :lol:
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The right choice, makes them actually electable. But in the face of the massive Tory majority he has it all still to do.
evostick

Post by evostick »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:02 pm I wonder where all “Karl Marx was basically a Tory” ultra-left wankers are going to end up?
Bedsits if they're lucky.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:23 pm The right choice, makes them actually electable. But in the face of the massive Tory majority he has it all still to do.
Agreed. The last election was the first ever when I didn't vote Labour. (Threw it away on a Lib-Dem lost deposit candidate). If Jeremy C had been successful I'd have expected to be shot at dawn as a Porsche driving Rolex wearer. :oops:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I see the internal fighting has already started in earnest on Twitter. I’ve seen a couple of tweets calling Starmer “Tory Boy”. You never see Conservatives calling members of their own party “basically Marxist” do you? And that’s why the left will always be a joke to so many people. They’re not just divided, they’re stratified.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I think he's a good choice.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well he ain’t a terrorist sympathising extremist supporting Marxist cunt so may do alright.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

He's more central and that for me is good which keeps the current mob more in line.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:39 pm He's more central and that for me is good which keeps the current mob more in line.
We’ve missed having an effective opposition, that’s for damm sure.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Apparently he was the man who decided there was insufficient evidence to prosecute Jimmy Savile. He has a hard job, given the like of Margaret Hodge and Jess Phillips seem to exist entirely to try and destroy from within.

If Starmer was serious, he should kick out all the back stabbers, same as De Pfeffel did with the moderates. It is a shame as Starmer screams New Labour and his voting record is not too good, from a lefty point of view.

So the choice next election, in England, may well be Right Wing or Centrist! :(
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:53 am Apparently he was the man who decided there was insufficient evidence to prosecute Jimmy Savile. He has a hard job, given the like of Margaret Hodge and Jess Phillips seem to exist entirely to try and destroy from within.

If Starmer was serious, he should kick out all the back stabbers, same as De Pfeffel did with the moderates. It is a shame as Starmer screams New Labour and his voting record is not too good, from a lefty point of view.

Thats one more option than you had this time round.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not sure Gavin is ever happy unless we go full communist left.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:56 am
Gavin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:53 am Apparently he was the man who decided there was insufficient evidence to prosecute Jimmy Savile. He has a hard job, given the like of Margaret Hodge and Jess Phillips seem to exist entirely to try and destroy from within.

Thats one more option than you had this time round.
:lol: