Long term changes of COVID 19

integrale_evo

Re: Long term changes of COVID 19

Post by integrale_evo »

Well a lot of the general public seem to have discovered the countryside since they've been told to stay in so wonder if that will last.
Cheers, Harry
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:05 pmWell a lot of the general public seem to have discovered the countryside since they've been told to stay in so wonder if that will last.
I mean, that's just bizarre isn't it?
Cheers,

Mike.
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

Ascender wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:23 pm I'd love to be optimistic about it, but having seen how people have behaved when it comes to panic buying and social distancing, go you honestly think the majority will learn anything???
Very much this. As has been previously established, people are idiots, a dose of the corona virus is unlikely to change this.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Maybe I'm just in pessimistic mode at the moment because quite a lot is shit, but I can quite realistically foresee some pretty unpleasant social/political changes on the back of this.

Not least, the state will become more authoritarian in some way shape or form. Inevitably, new "temporary" powers to restrict mass gatherings, incarcerate without charge, "postpone" elections, monitor and silence those spreading "misinformation" of social media etc etc will be *to some extent* misused, and undoubtedly will be retained for longer than is strictly necessary for pure medical reasons.

Trying hard not to come across as too tin-foil-hatty, but I'm just not buying into what seems to be the national perception that in the course of a few weeks the current Tory government has flipped from being a heartless, self-interested, xenophobic, isolationist, nepotistic and borderline corrupt old-boys club exclusively looking after the financial interests of itself and its most lucrative benefactors, to a responsible, caring, forward-looking, selfless, egalitarian organisation with the best interests of all of society at its heart.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yep - get the tin-foil off yer head ;)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Excellent, I’m all for banning mass gatherings if it means no more climate change protests.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

And fucking Karen passing shit off as fact on Facebook.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:22 pm I think we’ll hopefully see a lot more businesses see WFH as normal and continue to let people do it as a matter of course.

Maybe it’ll help people value the right people in society more?

I suspect it’ll change people’s priorities, too. Hopefully more people will put living ahead of working.
This. More WFH and <40 hour jobs please. Needing to commute into an office and sit at a noisy row of desks 9-5 is bullshit.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I WFH if I'm not travelling and I get pretty bored.

I get stuff done much faster than when in the office but i miss human interaction face to face, even if it's just a quick chat when getting a coffee.

Speaking of which, I've had no coffee since January and i now sleep like a baby and it's made me feel much better in general.

Not a bad step and new positive from been at home.
Barry

Post by Barry »

simon_g wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:22 pm I think we’ll hopefully see a lot more businesses see WFH as normal and continue to let people do it as a matter of course.

I suspect it’ll change people’s priorities, too. Hopefully more people will put living ahead of working.
This. More WFH and <40 hour jobs please. Needing to commute into an office and sit at a noisy row of desks 9-5 is bullshit.
I'm actually using it as a motivational tool to keep my lot working, if we can prove WFH is workable then we stand a better chance of getting it rolled out for us all more permanently. I'd be quite happy with a couple days WFH during a working week.

Also, in spite of "gaining" an hour (from not commuting) I'm finding I'm still only doing similar hours per day, as I was from the office (still O/T as we've got schit to do, but still).
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Barry wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 pm

I'm actually using it as a motivational tool to keep my lot working, if we can prove WFH is workable then we stand a better chance of getting it rolled out for us all more permanently. I'd be quite happy with a couple days WFH during a working week.

Also, in spite of "gaining" an hour (from not commuting) I'm finding I'm still only doing similar hours per day, as I was from the office (still O/T as we've got schit to do, but still).
WFH shouldn't be a way to work more hours. The time gained is yours, not your employer's. Keep to a schedule, take breaks, etc.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I must be one of the few people that doesn't like WFH.

I find I respond to the environment around me, so if I'm in an office of people focused on working, I focus on working. If I'm on my own I...... get distracted.

If this is going to become more of the norm I guess I will have to adapt.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I'm quite enjoying it at the moment and am way more efficient that I thought.

I did a year of pure full time work from home back in the day and really hated it. I knew I was in trouble when the Jehovah's Witness cold caller was obviously making excuses to get away from me. :lol:

However, even though I only live a few miles from work, I'd like to wfh more, maybe 2 days per week or afternoons.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Yeah, I like WFH for a day or 2, but beyond that it just feels like an imposition on my time and I just want to do my own thing.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’m better at WFH now, but I still prefer going to my office - I like my workmates!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Me too - some of them... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:59 am I must be one of the few people that doesn't like WFH.

I find I respond to the environment around me, so if I'm in an office of people focused on working, I focus on working. If I'm on my own I...... get distracted.

If this is going to become more of the norm I guess I will have to adapt.
No, I'm the same - the isolation sends me out of my fucking tree.

I'm going to be taking enforced walks at lunchtime, because otherwise I'd literally be stuck in the house, all the time (no garden), except when food shopping.

Depression is a bitch.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I’m used to WFH a few days a week so it’s no great shake up for me. We’re having a daily half hour video conference to talk shit about shit and so we still remember what we all look like.

One bloke refuses to put his camera on though which is a bit unnerving..
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A few of us are holding off Video chat for a few weeks as we’re having a Beard—off :lol:
Barry

Post by Barry »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 am
Barry wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 pm

WFH shouldn't be a way to work more hours. The time gained is yours, not your employer's. Keep to a schedule, take breaks, etc.
I'm not looking at it as a way to do more hours, it's just taking more time to get VPN and such like stable so I can work. Most of my morning is firefighting issues with my team and catch-ups before I can actually do something constructive.