Carnivore Diet

ZedLeg

Re: Carnivore Diet

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:26 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:22 am Eating fat doesn’t “clog your arteries”. Cholesterol being deposited is an immune response as a result of inflammation. There’s a growing body of evidence to show that high fat, low carb diets are far better for you than our current normal diet. I’ve done LCHF for a while and it’s been the main reason I’ve lost weight and my cholesterol and triglycerides have fallen dramatically despite having butter and cheese with everything now.
Yep. It reminds me that years ago there was a Jamie Oliver series where he was in France. He showed how they liked to have their roast duck - not fat rendered out almost completely like we tend to do in the UK, but with a nice thick ridge of fat still around the meat. He commented that the hand-wringers would be up in arms about it, but that particular region of France that ate the most duck had one of the lowest rates of heart disease in Europe, and they drink tons of wine and chain smoke.
Isn't this just the usual common sense that faddy diets are stupid and eating sensibly will usually be fine.

What's the difference between this diet and Keto, Atkins any of the other silly diets that pop up?
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:25 pm Isn't this just the usual common sense that faddy diets are stupid and eating sensibly will usually be fine.
Totally.

Personally I wouldn't switch to chugging 6 eggs and 6 rashers of bacon for breakfast though - just cut down your carbs and sugars to sensible levels and eat a balanced diet. I'd never cut anything out completely, save for anything with shitty sweeteners in.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:32 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:25 pm Isn't this just the usual common sense that faddy diets are stupid and eating sensibly will usually be fine.
Totally.

Personally I wouldn't switch to chugging 6 eggs and 6 rashers of bacon for breakfast though - just cut down your carbs and sugars to sensible levels and eat a balanced diet. I'd never cut anything out completely, save for anything with shitty sweeteners in.
The problem I had was huge sugar cravings, I would walk through fire for a cold coke if I hadn’t had anything for a while.

I,EV had a healthy calorie controlled diet and it was very difficult for me to do, when I was training hard it was ok as I was burning through the calories. Also living in a hotel makes it more difficult.

I think I’d like to see if anything positive comes from this and if I feel better then add back some veg or greens individually and see what makes things worse. It’s certainly not a diet I see as a long term way of living, it’s too restrictive.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Breakfast was 3 fried eggs, 5 pieces of bacon and 2 pork sausages.

Lunch was 500g of 15% fat beef, I made 2 burgers, 1 mixed with black pudding, another with bacon lardons, they tasted amazing. I garnished with petter cheese slices. I did want ketchup but I can’t have any. I am now full.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm probably a bit hypocritical when it comes to this considering I don't eat any animal products and I eat like shit quite a lot of the time thanks to my depression :lol:.

I'd be concerned about the nutrients you're missing out on with such a restrictive diet. I can understand how it would help with muscle ache after training though, you're giving yourself all the protein you could possibly need.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:12 pm I'm probably a bit hypocritical when it comes to this considering I don't eat any animal products and I eat like shit quite a lot of the time thanks to my depression :lol:.

I'd be concerned about the nutrients you're missing out on with such a restrictive diet. I can understand how it would help with muscle ache after training though, you're giving yourself all the protein you could possibly need.
I used to have 250g of protein a day through milk, beef, chicken, protein powder and Greek yoghurt so I don’t think it’s that.

Apparently you don’t need vitamin c when you don’t have carbs, I’m very dubious about that.

If I feel really bad on this I’ll just stop.

Or I may be stubborn and end up being in hospital with the shits, skirvy and no energy :lol:

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just take some multivitamins.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:25 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:26 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:22 am Eating fat doesn’t “clog your arteries”. Cholesterol being deposited is an immune response as a result of inflammation. There’s a growing body of evidence to show that high fat, low carb diets are far better for you than our current normal diet. I’ve done LCHF for a while and it’s been the main reason I’ve lost weight and my cholesterol and triglycerides have fallen dramatically despite having butter and cheese with everything now.
Yep. It reminds me that years ago there was a Jamie Oliver series where he was in France. He showed how they liked to have their roast duck - not fat rendered out almost completely like we tend to do in the UK, but with a nice thick ridge of fat still around the meat. He commented that the hand-wringers would be up in arms about it, but that particular region of France that ate the most duck had one of the lowest rates of heart disease in Europe, and they drink tons of wine and chain smoke.
Isn't this just the usual common sense that faddy diets are stupid and eating sensibly will usually be fine.

What's the difference between this diet and Keto, Atkins any of the other silly diets that pop up?
The problem is that most people don’t really know what “eating sensibly” is. Our diet has shifted to be massively carb heavy, which has become normalised. Most people’s diet probably has them eating double the amount of carbs they should be having and half the protein.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

[mention]V8Granite[/mention] Get yourself some Inulin powder and have 15g of it per day. It’ll keep you regular.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:20 pm Most people’s diet probably has them eating double the amount of carbs they should be having and half the protein.
Hmm, not convinced by that. A lot of people seem to eat more protein than they need.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:53 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:20 pm Most people’s diet probably has them eating double the amount of carbs they should be having and half the protein.
Hmm, not convinced by that. A lot of people seem to eat more protein than they need.
Toast/cereal for breakfast - nearly all carbs
Sandwich and a bag of crisps for lunch - mainly carbs with some protein
Dinner maybe meat, something starchy and veg. So some protein.
Snacks - crisps or chocolate (carbs again)

So maybe 45g of protein? (Based on a tuna sandwich for lunch and a chicken breast for dinner). At 0.36g of protein per pound of body weight, it should be more like 70g of protein.

I’m not saying everyone eats like this but it’s fairly “normal”.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'd have a fry up for lunch, but I'm not sure the (muslim) CEO of the company would appreciate me cracking out the frying pan in the office kitchen for that. :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:07 pm I'd have a fry up for lunch, but I'm not sure the (muslim) CEO of the company would appreciate me cracking out the frying pan in the office kitchen for that. :lol:
Can't allow people to impinge on your Scottish way of life Beany. Do you stop him praying?? 😂
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:20 pm
The problem is that most people don’t really know what “eating sensibly” is. Our diet has shifted to be massively carb heavy, which has become normalised. Most people’s diet probably has them eating double the amount of carbs they should be having and half the protein.
I don't entirely disagree with that but in the context of this thread I think that it's still valid to question how someone who's already looking into their diet jumps all the way to I'm only going to eat meat and dairy rather than I'm going to eat a more balanced diet.

It's one extreme to the other.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:06 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:53 pm
Toast/cereal for breakfast - nearly all carbs
Sandwich and a bag of crisps for lunch - mainly carbs with some protein
Dinner maybe meat, something starchy and veg. So some protein.
Snacks - crisps or chocolate (carbs again)

So maybe 45g of protein? (Based on a tuna sandwich for lunch and a chicken breast for dinner). At 0.36g of protein per pound of body weight, it should be more like 70g of protein.

I’m not saying everyone eats like this but it’s fairly “normal”.
Hmm. I'm not disputing too many carbs for a lot of people.

Cereals contain proteins though as well. And fruit and veg, albeit clearly in smaller quantities. According to the British Nutrition Foundation the average protein consumption in the UK is 88g for men and 64 for women, so in excess of typical requirements.

They reckon 0.75g/kg bodyweight is RNI and 0.6g/kg is actual need. So an 11st male only needs 42g protein. The excess just makes frothy piss (and may also adversely affect renal function over time). Dave! was probably already consuming enough as 19st=72g of need/90g RNI.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:16 pm
I don't entirely disagree with that but in the context of this thread I think that it's still valid to question how someone who's already looking into their diet jumps all the way to I'm only going to eat meat and dairy rather than I'm going to eat a more balanced diet.

Oh and this.
Beany

Post by Beany »

McSwede wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:09 pm
Beany wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:07 pm I'd have a fry up for lunch, but I'm not sure the (muslim) CEO of the company would appreciate me cracking out the frying pan in the office kitchen for that. :lol:
Can't allow people to impinge on your Scottish way of life Beany. Do you stop him praying?? 😂
No, although he has shown a hilarious amount of mock outrage if we get pizza in with pepperoni. :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:35 pm So an 11st male only needs 42g protein.
Yeah, but we’re not talking about kids ;)
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:16 pm

I had a really good balanced diet, I still had muscle aches etc.

I was very much a sceptical person but I followed the sleep guides, take 300mg of magnesium once a day and within a week I was sleeping better than ever. Time for me to be not so closed minded.

Plus if I start a bit more extreme I can hopefully single out what , if anything, causes it.

I’m not hungry at all at the minute and just watched the kids eat dinner so I’m already eating less.

Dave!
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

You can only try it mate. What works for you may not work for anyone else, so crack on & enjoy the meat!
Cheers.

Gwaredd