Carnivore Diet

V8Granite

Carnivore Diet

Post by V8Granite »

They had me at Carnivore :lol:

Since fixing my sleep and now very rarely getting less than 7 hours sleep a night, normally 8 I’ve decided to try something different.

Now the carnivore diet is high in red meat, dairy, butter, fat L, eggs and salt. Organ meat is important as well. I can’t understand how this works but I’ve read about Jordan Peterson’s daughter had no end of physical and mental issues which have nearly all gone due to being on a pure carnivore diet. This was severe arthritis (my gran has suffered terribly since her teens, claws for hands, all joints knackered) depression mainly. I don’t believe it will work but a few people I think haven’t got a pill to sell (gullible me possibly) are very positive about it.

Now my reasons are mainly for muscle ache, I’ve always had it my entire life, I have on average 4 hot baths a week due to muscle pain on various diets and training etc. On my last trip away I only had meat and rice for 3 weeks, then one night had a pizza and a following gut explosion and then a crappy night sleep due to lower back pain. I’ve done calorie controlled diets, healthy meals, no processed food at all, low in red meat, fish etc but have never really found anything I can follow easily as I have a big appetite and hate salad :lol: . When I was training 10 hours a week as a young man I was on 3500 calories a day and was 91kg and 15% body fat using the calliper method.

I have been back training again and do 3 heavy sessions a week when as a younger man I could do 5, this is probably down to age (very very likely) but I’m hoping this has an affect.

I’ve always had low cholesterol, good blood pressure, relatively low heart rate (62 last night when sat in a chair) and have been relatively fit cardio wise so I’m not dying or anything ;)

So, this is a way of keeping track of what happens and how I’m feeling, all the food I love is in this diet so it should be easier for me to follow :lol:

So each day I’ll just say what I ate the previous day and how I felt the next day.

4th March-
Breakfast - 6 egg scrambled egg, 6 pieces of bacon for breakfast cooked in butter. Could have eaten more but just didn’t feel like it.

Didn’t feel hungry at lunch.

Dinner - 2 rib eye steaks at half a pound each.

Slept well, didn’t need a pooh as soon as I woke up, woke up well.
19 stone 10lb

Poke fun, join in do whatever you like, I’m as sceptical as most people :lol:

Dave!
dinny_g

Re: Carnivore Diet

Post by dinny_g »

Good luck with it Dave - be interested in how it works out for you.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No veg at all? How will you shit?
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:54 am No veg at all? How will you shit?
Like any scotsman - poorly. 8-)
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I predict a heart attack by May!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Make sure you tell as many Vegans as you can...

Remember to add that “They eat the food your food needs to survive!!” :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sounds like fun anyway. Good luck Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 am Make sure you eat as many Vegans as you can...
My slight improvement above.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:04 am I predict a heart attack by May!
I have my yearly medical in may so it will be interesting to see any changes.

This is what intrigued me the most.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I wouldn’t believe the health benefits espoused by Jordan Peterson’s daughter tbh.

Maybe catch up with the recent news about her and her dad :lol:
An absolute unit
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Maybe get tested for gluten intolerance?

Not sure clogging your arteries is the way to go. 62 resting heart rate is not all that low either. Mine is in the mid-40's.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Eating fat doesn’t “clog your arteries”. Cholesterol being deposited is an immune response as a result of inflammation. There’s a growing body of evidence to show that high fat, low carb diets are far better for you than our current normal diet. I’ve done LCHF for a while and it’s been the main reason I’ve lost weight and my cholesterol and triglycerides have fallen dramatically despite having butter and cheese with everything now.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Article in the Guardian a while back about a doc who was suffering from chronically high cholesterol in his 40's, despite being a 'normal' weight and (claimed) not to be an unhealthy eater, cooked at home, limited takeaways etc.

Anyway, TL;DR - he cut out all sugar, and switched to a higher-fat diet (meat, eggs) and his cholesterol dropped through the floor. Argument was that the "OMG, high sat fats are going to kill you" isn't always the case. Sugar, however, will, that's the one that's worth dropping regardless.

But never eating Peanut M&M's? I'd rather just die at 60.
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:22 am Eating fat doesn’t “clog your arteries”. Cholesterol being deposited is an immune response as a result of inflammation. There’s a growing body of evidence to show that high fat, low carb diets are far better for you than our current normal diet. I’ve done LCHF for a while and it’s been the main reason I’ve lost weight and my cholesterol and triglycerides have fallen dramatically despite having butter and cheese with everything now.
Yep the whole consensus of opinion on fats versus sugar/carbs has pretty much turned on its head.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Matty wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:41 am
:-D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Oooooh. Not had those in a long time! Might have to get some for the weekend.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:42 am I wouldn’t believe the health benefits espoused by Jordan Peterson’s daughter tbh.

Maybe catch up with the recent news about her and her dad :lol:
I will do just that, I’ve only really followed it from the diet and pronoun side.

(Edit) is this his drug dependency issue that he went to Russia to have treated ?

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 am
Oooooh. Not had those in a long time! Might have to get some for the weekend.
Squashies sweets will be genuinely hard to not have when on any car journey over 30 mins :evil:

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:22 am Eating fat doesn’t “clog your arteries”. Cholesterol being deposited is an immune response as a result of inflammation. There’s a growing body of evidence to show that high fat, low carb diets are far better for you than our current normal diet. I’ve done LCHF for a while and it’s been the main reason I’ve lost weight and my cholesterol and triglycerides have fallen dramatically despite having butter and cheese with everything now.
Yep. It reminds me that years ago there was a Jamie Oliver series where he was in France. He showed how they liked to have their roast duck - not fat rendered out almost completely like we tend to do in the UK, but with a nice thick ridge of fat still around the meat. He commented that the hand-wringers would be up in arms about it, but that particular region of France that ate the most duck had one of the lowest rates of heart disease in Europe, and they drink tons of wine and chain smoke.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Have you read The Great Cholesterol Con. Interesting, as someone who has been taking statins since 1989.
Though in my case it's genetic (familial hypercholesterolaemia), and I'm pleased to say my kids have both been tested negative for the gene.

Anyway, 6 eggs and 6 rashers sounds like a mighty fine breakfast. Good luck with it Dave!
Left over crest; tightens.