Fuel: red diesel and some older cars

Orange Cola

Fuel: red diesel and some older cars

Post by Orange Cola »

Look to be on borrowed time

Greener petrol at UK pumps to target emissions https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51731757
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Re: Fuel: red diesel and some older cars

Post by NotoriousREV »

So farming gets fucked over by Brexit (which the farmers all voted for), and then again by the Tories (which they also all voted for)?

If we go E10, kiss your fuel pumps and hoses goodbye but also you can turn up your boost.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Oh yes let’s go buy a fucking electric tractor.

Sunak - biggest cunt of the lot yet.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Petrol Station I used to work at when I was a kid had a Red Diesel pump. The owners deliberately removed the gauges so that we could only sell it into containers, mainly due to constant requests from "Certain Groups" to fill their Toyota Hiace's.

One morning I was on my own and a Certain Group of individuals came in and asked me to fill their van. I gave them the usual spiel, they tried the "It's empty and has a 50l tank, you can work it out from that" etc but I wouldn't budge. They had to find a container. Leader of said Certain Group heads off the the Chip Chop down the road and returns with an open 50l drum which had obviously been used to store used fat. It was fucking manky. We fill it and he proceeds to pour the diesel straight into the tank, using a funnel fashioned out of newspaper. :lol:

Hiace fires first time and off they drive in a plume of very back smoke. :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Meanwhile, the chancellor is expected to scrap a subsidy on diesel used by the farming and construction sector in an effort to encourage a switch to greener alternative fuel vehicles
I can't wait to see all the farmers switching to electric tractors 😂
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:29 am
Meanwhile, the chancellor is expected to scrap a subsidy on diesel used by the farming and construction sector in an effort to encourage a switch to greener alternative fuel vehicles
Then running out of charge half way through drilling a field and having to wait 8 hours to recharge it.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Will this just be like when 4* was scrapped and the older car owners had to add an addative?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Not really, the ethanol corrodes rubber fuel hoses and also attracts water which can then cause corrosion and dilutes the fuel.

Basically if you fill an old car with it and leave it to sit for six months, I wouldn’t expect it to start cleanly.
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

But they will still run on it?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah they’ll run fine until the lines dissolve and the fuel system gets clogged with rust ;)
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:40 am
Then running out of charge half way through drilling a field and having to wait 8 hours to recharge it.
Thats fine, they were stopping to have a coffee and a wee break anyway. I don’t know what the fuss is about...
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:56 am

Thats fine, they were stopping to have a coffee and a wee break anyway. I don’t know what the fuss is about...
That said a lot of farms round here have their own windmills so leccy vehicles might be an attractive proposition. I don't think the tech is ready for adoption yet for large scale kit.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah that will be good when you have a 2 day window to harvest your entire seasons crop before there’s a rain storm. Can’t see any electric tractor ever being able to do a 30+ hour shift with only a 1 minute break whilst you piss out the side of the cab :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Silageing wouldn’t be much fun, either.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Do we know if new cars are even built to withstand 10% ethanol?

I’m not sure all markets are, so the same car in one market where they sell 10% might be ok but it won’t be in another because the manufacturer has saved the cost of fitting parts which can cope.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, they talk about “older” cars - what does that mean in reality?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

https://www.acea.be/uploads/publicatio ... bility.pdf

The Carrera GT is not cleared for use with E10 petrol.
GG.

Post by GG. »

How do people cope on the continent - am I right in thinking they offer E10 and normal E5 95/98 RON (or equivalent) side by side?
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

scotta wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:09 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:56 am

That said a lot of farms round here have their own windmills so leccy vehicles might be an attractive proposition. I don't think the tech is ready for adoption yet for large scale kit.
I'm not so sure about that, a lot of underground mining equipment is already available as a battery powered option, capable of doing a 12 hour shift.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A decent tractor with a plough will be running at around 120kw, so for an 8 hour shift will need a 960kwh battery.

Cars barely use any power when driving at a steady cruise, a tractor actually works hard.

Dave!