Fuel: red diesel and some older cars

Marv

Re: Fuel: red diesel and some older cars

Post by Marv »

Shell sneaked in making V-Power E5 at some point.

As far as I can tell Esso SUL is the last to contain no Ethanol, despite being labelled as E5.

Expensive though!
Oui, je suis un motard.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:29 pmIts introduction on UK roads could cut transport carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by 750,000 tonnes a year – the equivalent of taking 350,000 cars off the road, or all the cars in North Yorkshire.”

I’m good with the Northern Yorkshire proposal.
You've now been added to "the" list.

#youswine
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Marv wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:20 am As far as I can tell Esso SUL is the last to contain no Ethanol, despite being labelled as E5.
Whoa, mislabelling? Why not sell E15 as E5 if that's OK?
Marv

Post by Marv »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:22 am
Marv wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:20 am As far as I can tell Esso SUL is the last to contain no Ethanol, despite being labelled as E5.
Whoa, mislabelling? Why not sell E15 as E5 if that's OK?
Not my words, the words of the Esso website :lol:
Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation
https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I never found Esso 99. Unless they're all 99 and the pumps label them 97.

Is Dinny the manager of the Esso chain as it feels like something Dinny would do because Dinny.
How about not having a sig at all?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Hmmm and how do they make bioethanol..

Much like electric cars and renewables, they're really just kicking the can further down the road with some lovely PR
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Are they assuming the 10% Bioethanol bit is zero emission then?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:30 pm I never found Esso 99. Unless they're all 99 and the pumps label them 97.

Is Dinny the manager of the Esso chain as it feels like something Dinny would do because Dinny.
You cut me deep Mito... :(
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Marv wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:18 pm Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps[/b].
Ah, so E5 is not 5%, it's anything up to 5%. You'd expect there to be at least a trace to require an E label at all, mind you. Did the same people draft that legislation as the COVID stuff?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It's a bit like how everything suddenly contained labels specifying trace amounts of nuts, seeds and shellfish due to the incoming Natasha's law.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:11 pm
Marv wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:18 pm Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps[/b].
Ah, so E5 is not 5%, it's anything up to 5%. You'd expect there to be at least a trace to require an E label at all, mind you. Did the same people draft that legislation as the COVID stuff?
Its more of a disclaimer isn't it. The ethanol is damaging to older cars (not a benefit) so if there's a chance it could contain it (which they're saying it does in certain areas of the country) then you have to add 'E5 and they've chosen not to split the labelling depending on area presumably on account of additional cost.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nathan wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:33 pm Hmmm and how do they make bioethanol..

Much like electric cars and renewables, they're really just kicking the can further down the road with some lovely PR
So much this, like the bio-diesel made with palm oil by flattening lots of CO2 eating rainforest.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

Comming soon to a petrol station near you…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I love government issued guidance, they’re always explaining everything as if the reader is an imbecile and their recommended solution has no drawbacks.

“What to do if your vehicle is not compatible with E10 petrol
Continue to use E5 petrol in the ‘super’ grade (97+ octane), which will remain available at many larger filling stations. Make sure you check the label before you fill up.”

Ah nice.

I remember the ULEZ one actually said to just buy a new car or walk 😂
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:21 pm
I remember the ULEZ one actually said to just buy a new car or walk 😂
That's just because TfL are personal freedom averse Commie Cunts rather than any reflection on their audience. Sadly there is little in the way of other options re ULEZ (well, a tax exempt classic I suppose).

To be honest though, as much as I'll miss seeing the odd nice 993 or youngtimer ferrari, etc. On balance it will get rid of thousands of hairy arsed builders in wanked out 20 year old tranny vans belching out soot, so on balance...

My neighbour opposite still has his 944. It never moves anyway so I'm not sure ULEZ is going to make any noticeable difference for him :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I remain hopeful that most of the classics will stay as usually very few are true dailies and many of them are owned by wealthy people.

The hairy arsed builders seem to be migrating to those electric Nissan vans now. The alcoholic chain smoking Yugoslavian chap that I use sold his ex Royal Mail LDV thing and is now in an old S Class - I'd like to see him move a bathroom suite in that :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

As I was filling up today I noticed that Tesco 95 is now already e10. My Mito did not explode in a fireball and thus my wishes for some compensayshun shall remain as wishes.

In other slightly more interesting news I've seen on the Insta that my Land Rover independent is now retrofitting adblue to Puma Defenders. It makes the car Euro6 and then ULEZ exempt once you do all the necessary paperwork. It's a kit by this company https://www.hjs.com/en/ and I assume its the London Taxi one as it's the same engine. Doing further reading it seems there's other companies fitting these to other vehicles too, especially in Germany as their major cities have the same ULEZ. I don't know the price though.

Also I notice that you can now purchase fully renewably sourced biodegradable engine oil. In theory you can already run an engine on full biodiesel or ethanol with biodegradable engine oil for much less money than buying an EV but the government don't want us doing that :lol:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I filled up at a Sainsbury’s yesterday and theirs was E10
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »