Coronavirus

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jobbo »

I wish Hopkins’ Instagram posts didn’t show on here - Matt, can you adjust the forum settings to avoid giving her the oxygen of publicity?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:45 pm I wish Hopkins’ Instagram posts didn’t show on here - Matt, can you adjust the forum settings to avoid giving her the oxygen of publicity?
+1
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

This is yet more signs of the leftist cancel culture to dampen and remove opposing views 😞

I think she does more harm for her cause than good so bring it on 😂

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:44 am This is yet more signs of the leftist cancel culture to dampen and remove opposing views 😞

Dave!
It isn't about cancelling opposing views though is it? If she could articulate an opposing view without being a racist nutter nobody would mind. But she makes money being a racist nutter regardless of "views" so can FRO.

"Leftist cancel culture" is as much a product of "Rightist projection culture" as anything else IMHO.

She looks like a raving racist nutter to balanced people, but unfortunately I think fellow raving racist nutters will only be encouraged by a public figurehead.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

RobYob wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:18 am
V8Granite wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:44 am This is yet more signs of the leftist cancel culture to dampen and remove opposing views 😞

Dave!
It isn't about cancelling opposing views though is it? If she could articulate an opposing view without being a racist nutter nobody would mind. But she makes money being a racist nutter regardless of "views" so can FRO.

"Leftist cancel culture" is as much a product of "Rightist projection culture" as anything else IMHO.

She looks like a raving racist nutter to balanced people, but unfortunately I think fellow raving racist nutters will only be encouraged by a public figurehead.
Ah like rousing the gammon with the entirely imagined "Winterfest" rather than Christmas type thing? Or Boba's ship being named "Boba Fett's spaceship" by Lego?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I'm not going to discriminate - just turn off embedding for all of Instagram. I don't think any of us will feel like we're missing anything and the link would still be clickable.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 am
I'm not going to discriminate - just turn off embedding for all of Instagram. I don't think any of us will feel like we're missing anything and the link would still be clickable.
Can we add Twitter too ?

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Amazing the inability to scroll without reading :lol:

Noone seems to be commenting on the issue being raised which is forcing jabs on care staff and now kids without parents say so. Is this a right wing topic? I don't think so.

If I had kids they would be having the jabs if they were around older people however if they are not whats the point? Also same goes for care workers - I am sure not every single one needs to be forced into it and they do have a choice to change jobs.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It's impossible to avoid a great big Instagram post inserted in line in the thread, Broccers. Even if I don't read it she's getting views just from people opening the thread.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:06 am Amazing the inability to scroll without reading :lol:

Noone seems to be commenting on the issue being raised which is forcing jabs on care staff and now kids without parents say so. Is this a right wing topic? I don't think so.

If I had kids they would be having the jabs if they were around older people however if they are not whats the point? Also same goes for care workers - I am sure not every single one needs to be forced into it and they do have a choice to change jobs.
Everyone except people with medical exemptions get other vaccines MMR, BCG, the HPV vaccine for girls. I don't really see the difference here.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:15 am Everyone
Everyone does take well proven drugs yes not something that has been around a short time and does seem to have bad reactions in younger people resulting in death.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Is there any evidence for that? Or is it just what Katy said.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

There's loads of arguments on Twitter for and against this Broccers.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:27 am Is there any evidence for that? Or is it just what Katy said.
Have a look on twitter - no point discussing anything here is there. :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:27 am Is there any evidence for that? Or is it just what Katy said.
Not sure about death but its been putting a number of young people in hospital with heart inflammation

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1635

In the US the confirmed cases have mostly been seen in male adolescents and young adults and occur more often after the second dose than the first. CDC data showed that after 3 625 574 second doses administered to men aged 18-24 there were 233 reports of myocarditis or pericarditis, when two to 25 would have been expected.3 After 5 237 262 doses administered to women in this age group 27 cases were seen, against an expected two to 18. Vinay Prasad, a haematologist-oncologist and associate professor in the department of epidemiology and biostatistics at the University of California San Francisco, told The BMJ “There is a clear and large safety signal in young men and a clear but small signal in young women as well.”

Prasad believes that the US decision is wrong and that it is better to play it safe. “Vaccination always serves two purposes,” he said, “firstly to benefit the person who gets it and secondly to benefit others. We are willing to do things for the second purpose but not if they are a net harm to individuals.” He thinks that the US should suspend all vaccination in children under 18 and give only one dose of vaccine to men under 25.

Not insignificant given the very low number of hospitalisations in people of that age group. I would agree with the second para above that it is arguably unethical to encourage people in their early 20s to have the vaccinations given it isn't of net benefit to them as individuals. Particularly as it does not confer immunity or stop transmission but only reduces severity and therefore is of questionable use in protecting others.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gavin wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:48 am Ah like rousing the gammon with the entirely imagined "Winterfest" rather than Christmas type thing? Or Boba's ship being named "Boba Fett's spaceship" by Lego?
I don't know about "Winterfest" but it was Disney, the owners of the IP that changed the name of Slave 1 for profit, hardly a left wing conspiracy. :roll:
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

RobYob wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:18 am
Gavin wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:48 am Ah like rousing the gammon with the entirely imagined "Winterfest" rather than Christmas type thing? Or Boba's ship being named "Boba Fett's spaceship" by Lego?
I don't know about "Winterfest" but it was Disney, the owners of the IP that changed the name of Slave 1 for profit, hardly a left wing conspiracy. :roll:
Indeed.

I believe it was due to most kids knowing at as Fett's ship. Given the name was never mentioned outwith the EU and still hasn't been afaik it is hard to work out why gammons got all frothy but never let the facts get in the way of a rant I guess! :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

The real comparitor is how side effects compare to other common vaccines, which you don't generally hear about because you aren't trying to vaccinate the majority of the entire adult population at once within the space of a year - the vaccinations are done as people are born/grow etc over a longer period (IE 30m MMR vaccines within a given population would take far longer to deploy than 30m Pfizer COVID vaccines will).

Add that to people being older when getting them and so having existing health issues (IE I'm a fat fucker - I wasn't when I was three) that might not have been present when they were infants, etc.

That, and modern outrage culture means that rare cases get signal boosted to back up peoples claims.

So seeing that there are side effects from the Covid vaccines isn't the same as 'they're far more dangerous than other vaccines'.

With respect to the numbers quoted above, the real comparator would be deaths and serious injuries in that age group from COVID compared to issues with the vaccine in that age group, and we only have around 18 months data on that so it's not as clear cut as something better known like MMR, but I won't pretend it's not an issue - just that it's not as much of an issue as certain mouthpieces make out IMHO.

We're talking thousands and tens of thousands of a percent absolute risk based on those numbers. Be interesting to compare the risks with something common like aspirin or cocodamol or common antibiotics.

Don't have the time to dig up the numbers sadly. I'd far rather do that than work :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

GG. wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 am
Not sure about death but its been putting a number of young people in hospital with heart inflammation
My mate back home was mentioning this - his son is 15 and as they're offering Vaccines for 12 to 16 year olds. He's on a solid trajectory to professional Rugby so he's decided against it.

I haven't done the research myself but he was quoting 1/16000 impacted (as compared to 1/500000 for COVID itself) which seems like an awfully high number for a a state sanctioned program.

Not really concerning myself with it as my son's still a year off getting offered one here.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Positive PCR test result this morning. Felt a bit shit for a few days but not too bad. Isolation til next Thursday is going to be a bitch.