Coronavirus

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:12 am Paywall.
There's an add-in for that ;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

@ZedLeg She didn't mention 'if you're sick'/symptomatic. She presumably thinks its proportionate to guard against asymptomatic transmission (key was her comment about you'd pick it up like you pick up your keys - i.e. always). I have no issue with people wearing masks as a common courtesy but it should not be enshrined in law or regulation.

Its does make you concerned if you have people with such bad judgment on a body like SAGE which is driving policy.
Last edited by GG. on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:47 am
GG. wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-l ... 7-12326752 post at 6.58 here
With regards to the mask wearing, it's seen as a common courtesy in a lot of Asian countries to wear a mask in public if you're sick. No reason why it shouldn't be the same elsewhere.
Doesn't seem to be working very well for them at the moment though does it? Is there any compelling evidence yet that non-medical grade face masks actually do anything to stop the spread?
GG.

Post by GG. »

At best it would be marginal and absolutely not justified to support permanent use to stop asymptomatic transmission. The woman's fucking nuts.

If these are our best scientists driven by evidence led data we need to get rid and start again.

Start with bloody Ferguson.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Maybe it's considered an unpleasant truth, but the function of our immune system is entirely reliant on exposure to all the things that make us a little bit ill for a little while.

People seem so obsessed with never getting ill or spreading any illness. Is anyone thinking of the long term effects of this (in evolutionary terms) quick change? It will start becoming a vicious circle IMO, less spread of illness -> worse immune systems -> more damaging outbreaks -> more tight controls (and repeat). There is also I believe a fair amount of evidence that some allergies are linked to improved hygiene of the modern world.

I think it's an irresponsible and negative step personally. Especially sad that it should come from a so called scientist.
GG.

Post by GG. »

That's because you have a brain which is capable of a basic level of rationality, Duncs
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:53 am
GG. wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-l ... 7-12326752 post at 6.58 here
With regards to the mask wearing, it's seen as a common courtesy in a lot of Asian countries to wear a mask in public if you're sick. No reason why it shouldn't be the same elsewhere.
Doesn't seem to be working very well for them at the moment though does it? Is there any compelling evidence yet that non-medical grade face masks actually do anything to stop the spread?
By them do you mean all of Asia? :lol:

Some countries have done better than others, same as other parts of the world. I would say the common theme is that countries who took Covid seriously from the get go are doing much better than countries who didn't shockingly.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:55 am Maybe it's considered an unpleasant truth, but the function of our immune system is entirely reliant on exposure to all the things that make us a little bit ill for a little while.

People seem so obsessed with never getting ill or spreading any illness. Is anyone thinking of the long term effects of this (in evolutionary terms) quick change? It will start becoming a vicious circle IMO, less spread of illness -> worse immune systems -> more damaging outbreaks -> more tight controls (and repeat). There is also I believe a fair amount of evidence that some allergies are linked to improved hygiene of the modern world.

I think it's an irresponsible and negative step personally. Especially sad that it should come from a so called scientist.
That's why I never cover my mouth when I sneeze
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 am
duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:55 am Maybe it's considered an unpleasant truth, but the function of our immune system is entirely reliant on exposure to all the things that make us a little bit ill for a little while.

Good man, doing your bit for humanity.* ;-)

* - Assuming you don't have something that humanity has never seen before! :lol:
Last edited by duncs500 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Sharing is caring
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Seriously though, being a new parent I see about how frightened some people are about exposing their children to any sort of germs. There must be a lot of fragile children arriving at schools across the land.

I'm not going to intentionally infect ours like they used to in the old days, but I'm certainly not going to disinfect her every time she touches something either!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 am
ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 am

Good man, doing your bit for humanity.* ;-)

* - Assuming you don't have something that humanity has never seen before! :lol:
Who knows, I have been around :lol:

In all seriousness there is a happy medium between dousing everything in hand sanitiser and the old fashioned "chickenpox party" mentality.

Or exactly what Duncs said :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Duncs speaketh the truth...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:59 am

Some countries have done better than others, same as other parts of the world. I would say the common theme is that countries who took Covid seriously from the get go are doing much better than countries who didn't shockingly.
Whilst I wouldn't disagree with your last comment, it's clear that many of those nations that have a culture of face mask wearing are now suffering with the new variants. So clearly face mask wearing has its limits. I seriously question how useful they are at all really (again the non-medical grade stuff most of us are using), and much of the early success in those nations is more likely down to the other measures they took, be it lockdowns, social distancing and, crucially, ceasing travel in and out of their countries.
GG.

Post by GG. »

And monitoring movements via compulsory phone apps etc.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:18 am
ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:59 am

Whilst I wouldn't disagree with your last comment, it's clear that many of those nations that have a culture of face mask wearing are now suffering with the new variants. So clearly face mask wearing has its limits. I seriously question how useful they are at all really (again the non-medical grade stuff most of us are using), and much of the early success in those nations is more likely down to the other measures they took, be it lockdowns, social distancing and, crucially, ceasing travel in and out of their countries.
Don't disagree with any of that. With regards to the mask while you're sick thing, it's more akin to putting a tissue over your mouth while you sneeze than wearing a hazmat suit. My point was that it's just something people do in other countries that is still seen as weird here, if people become more open to it in future then it's not going to do any harm.

I'm not suggesting it should be government mandated GG but I don't think that it's likely to be.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes I understand. I think the point is if we have a key influential committee staffed with people with such extreme views that really is not a comforting sign.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am
Broccers wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:51 pm Going back to my sport fascination cricket today had a compacted crowd so it's a step forward.
Not sure how it is for the rest of the test, but yesterday was a govt sanctioned experiment whereby they've all agreed to be tested before and then 5 days after. Was bloody great to see and hear a full crowd though when I managed to watch a bit yesterday. The beer cup snake was bloody huge! :-D
i'm going to Royal Ascot next week - it's one of the test events. We have a PCR test and a lateral test before, then another PCR after. It'll be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like with only 12k people.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I just bought tickets for a gig in January, it's (so far) the first big public event that I'll be at since the middle of 2019. My main concern is that my anxiety will have got so bad that I'll have a panic attack the first time I'm in a crowd :lol:
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:49 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:12 am Paywall.
There's an add-in for that ;)
What, someone else's credit card? :lol: I know the internet should be free but I can't be bothered to use a VPN or whatever to avoid paywalls; I simply won't use their site. Always an alternative, invariably better. Imagine wanting to read the Torygraph that much :|