Re: Coronavirus

Post by 16vCento »

Hope you're OK [mention]Beany[/mention]

I'm only 20 miles or so away, so if you get stuck for owt let me know 👍
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:34 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:53 pm Yep, drone footage on our local news yesterday of empty testing stations yet people spending hours online refreshing devices to try and book a slot.
And Matt Hancock on the radio this morning saying the lack of slots and backlogs in tests were due to lots of people going for covid tests when they didn’t really need them...
The thing is though, I can believe that. You're only supposed to get a test if you have symptoms right? How many are getting a test 'just to be sure' or 'because they've been around someone who did test positive' etc?

Apparently it's not the testing centre capacity that's the issue, it's that there's not enough lab capacity to process the tests in time before the samples expire...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

A headteacher at a primary school I know has said about 60% of her teaching staff are booking tests on a daily basis
Marv

Post by Marv »

Simon wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:47 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:53 pm Yep, drone footage on our local news yesterday of empty testing stations yet people spending hours online refreshing devices to try and book a slot.
And Matt Hancock on the radio this morning saying the lack of slots and backlogs in tests were due to lots of people going for covid tests when they didn’t really need them...
The thing is though, I can believe that. You're only supposed to get a test if you have symptoms right? How many are getting a test 'just to be sure' or 'because they've been around someone who did test positive' etc?

Apparently it's not the testing centre capacity that's the issue, it's that there's not enough lab capacity to process the tests in time before the samples expire...
Hancock and the Conservatives blaming the public is the easy/lazy excuse. They've had a couple months to scale up and build extra capacity in the system, but instead they've not done enough and cluelessly walked the country into a second wave.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Don't worry about me, kids, my neighbour has me sorted :D

Was particularly exhausted last night but to be fair, I did dip into the beer. Think I'll leave the rest till I'm not floaty :lol:

Feeling a little better this morning but going to chill in bed (seeing as work won't annoy me) and then see how I feel this aft.

As for testing/lab capacity, I was of the understanding that it was the other way around - gobs of lab capacity, but sod all testing capacity.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Marv wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:11 am

Hancock and the Conservatives blaming the public is the easy/lazy excuse. They've had a couple months to scale up and build extra capacity in the system, but instead they've not done enough and cluelessly walked the country into a second wave.
Marv is correct. They’ve botched the response to this at every step and are now trying to avoid responsibility.

Same as their current brexit strategy.
An absolute unit
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

We’re isolating now until a test comes back for my daughter.
Probably just the usual school bug, but 111 sent an ambulance around this morning. Two hours later and we’re back home, but even a test at St Thomas’s takes up to three days to come back.
Simon

Post by Simon »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:04 am

Marv is correct. They’ve botched the response to this at every step and are now trying to avoid responsibility.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's definitely the fault of Dido/Hancock/Boris. But I'm wondering if a bad situation is made worse by people having tests who don't need them.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:01 am

Oh don't get me wrong, it's definitely the fault of Dido/Hancock/Boris. But I'm wondering if a bad situation is made worse by people having tests who don't need them.
So if you were in the situation you couldn't go back to work for two weeks unless you had taken a test, you'd decline because you weren't showing symptoms. You're a better man than me.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:15 am
Simon wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:01 am

So if you were in the situation you couldn't go back to work for two weeks unless you had taken a test, you'd decline because you weren't showing symptoms. You're a better man than me.
If you have symptoms you need a test. If you’ve had known contact I’d also argue you need a test.
I’m hearing stories of people who have no symptoms and have had no known contact but are still going for one all the time
Simon

Post by Simon »

We wer told before (around the quarantine when returning from abroad argument) that a negative result doesn't mean you don't have it, simply because of the incubation period. Therefore if, say, someone else in your house has it then you still need to quarantine for 14 days regardless of a negative test.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I've been trying to keep out of this as I'm somewhat on the inside, but this really caught my eye today. Graph on the BBC website of positive cases per day supporting the OMG WE'RE GOING TO DIE narrative:

The profile of that chart since mid-July matches pretty exactly with my own chart of how many tests have been done over the same period. More tests = more positives, no surprise there, what you really want to know is the prevalence. You could drive the daily positives down to zero if you wanted, you just stop doing any testing :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well now we have “mass testing” cases should in theory hit 100,000 a day to hit the real peak we had back in April.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Indeed, the deaths graph doesn't look the same, we're just finding all the cases that previously came and went without any record.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Jimexpl wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:31 am We’re isolating now until a test comes back for my daughter.
Probably just the usual school bug, but 111 sent an ambulance around this morning. Two hours later and we’re back home, but even a test at St Thomas’s takes up to three days to come back.
Negative result, back in six hours!
‘Normal’ life can resume...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimexpl wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:28 pm
Jimexpl wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:31 am We’re isolating now until a test comes back for my daughter.
That's good news.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jimexpl wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:28 pm
Great news, isolation with/for kids is crap!
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm still mostly lacking in endurance, although I did manage to get up to the shop this evening, including a couple of stops to catch my breath. I then turned back because I'm still technically infectious. Sigh. That said, in the week just climing down and up the stairs to get a coffee was leaving me with my head spinning.

So minor improvement but I think I'll spend most of tomorrow in bed reading things on the phone.

Exhaustion - dear christ it's frustrating.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

GWS of course but perhaps a wake-up call to do something positive about your overall health - post-covid. Healthy young-ish people seem to shake it off pretty easily.
Beany

Post by Beany »

mr_jon wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:50 pm GWS of course but perhaps a wake-up call to do something positive about your overall health - post-covid. Healthy young-ish people seem to shake it off pretty easily.
Pfft, young-ish. I'm knocking on 40. And most people don't have their job having them forcing them to work when they should be, you know, chilling out.

This is very much the last straw.