Coronavirus

Orange Cola

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Orange Cola »

The obvious way is you have to give your name and phone number to the bar staff to write it down before you get served. It’s table and/or app service anyway.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We have social distanced throughout, even when the big bosses came it was a one in, one out job in the engine room etc.

We haven’t done masks though and I couldn’t say why not.

I won’t touch public transport for a long time.

Dave!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:38 pm
:lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Been to the tip this morning (only had to book five weeks in advance for a 7.15 am Friday morning slot!) and they'd arranged it so each car was isolated with a set of containers. I'm wondering if the recycling efforts will suffer badly with everything just dumped in landfill though. Apart from electrical items, garden waste, batteries and clothes everything just went into the non-recyclable container: wood, plastic, fabric, and rubble. I asked about metals and was told to leave them on the side, but could see others hadn't bothered with that.

Feel a bit like a muppet having sorted everything, taken stuff apart to be able to recycle it, etc. Although it meant I could buy a set of long handle Torx screwdrivers.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Foz

Post by Foz »

Fly tipping through the roof here...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Very little will go to landfill regardless of whether you've sorted it or not - it simply costs LA's too much. They might be transferring more to waste transfer stations to be sorted, rather than relying on separation at source. These days it's largely only inert waste that goes to landfill - soils and rubble. The rest is recyled/sent abroad for someone else to deal with, or is sent to energy from waste facilities.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s a bit mental really, all tips around here have been generally socially distant for years, if someone is already on the gantry or steps you wait until they’re done before you cart your stuff in, it’s just general polite behaviour.

Any staff just generally stand at the end of the gantries or hiding in their hut.
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 am Very little will go to landfill regardless of whether you've sorted it or not - it simply costs LA's too much. They might be transferring more to waste transfer stations to be sorted, rather than relying on separation at source. These days it's largely only inert waste that goes to landfill - soils and rubble. The rest is recyled/sent abroad for someone else to deal with, or is sent to energy from waste facilities.
That's better than I thought I suppose, although I'm not sure sending it abroad is a great idea.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Our tip is working as normal in terms of the different categories - they’re just limiting the number of cars in at one time to ensure social distancing. I think it was about a 30 minute wait to get in though.

Strangely enough I saw something on Twitter last night, can’t remember if it was the Beeb or the Guardian where a shit tonne of UK rubbish had turned up just dumped by the side of the road in Turkey.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:46 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 am Very little will go to landfill regardless of whether you've sorted it or not - it simply costs LA's too much. They might be transferring more to waste transfer stations to be sorted, rather than relying on separation at source. These days it's largely only inert waste that goes to landfill - soils and rubble. The rest is recyled/sent abroad for someone else to deal with, or is sent to energy from waste facilities.
That's better than I thought I suppose, although I'm not sure sending it abroad is a great idea.
Totally agree. It's lazy and in some instances appalling. Fair enough if there are specalist recyclers abroad and a market for it, but when a lot of it is essentially dumped on another nation to deal with it's not good. Typical British attitude to many things though. The other problem with the UK waste sector is that whilst there are a lot of professional operators (Suez, Viridor, Biffa, FCC etc.) there are also still a lot of highly dodgy bastards. We used to have some "characterful" clients at the last place I worked.

Anyway, this reminds me that I need to do a tip run as well, before we become utterly overwhelemed with cardboard!
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Waste wise everything is back to normal in my area. I got my tip run in weeks ago and it was all pretty well controlled. They stopped separate food waste collection, and also the garden bins, but that's all going again now.

Swerv is correct. It used to crack me up when we'd have all this segregated waste on sites and then they'd all come and toss it in the same wagon, but they're pretty efficient at sorting it at the main processing plants nowadays so in most cases only a small percentage ever goes to landfill.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:54 am Swerv is correct. It used to crack me up when we'd have all this segregated waste on sites and then they'd all come and toss it in the same wagon, but they're pretty efficient at sorting it at the main processing plants nowadays so in most cases only a small percentage ever goes to landfill.
Some authroties actually stopped kerbside separation (i.e. different bins) as they still had to separate themselves anyway because too many people can't be trusted to do it properly or simply don't GAF. Many landfills have actually been mothballed as their planning permissions expired before they could be filled, and getting an extension of life for landfill is very difficult as you can imagine.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

What happens to the stuff that goes abroad is another topic I guess, I saw that article about Turkey too. It's funny, that in industrial terms you have a duty of care for the waste until it gets to the waste management station but they don't seem to have a duty of care for its onward journey. Maybe they do, but the overseas guys are saying one thing and doing another.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Spike in infections on Merseyside in 6 to 8 days???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

USA leading the way in showing the rest of the world what happens if you say sod it, and go back to normal. Second wave shaping up nicely before they’d got the first one under control.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:44 am USA leading the way in showing the rest of the world what happens if you say sod it, and go back to normal. Second wave shaping up nicely before they’d got the first one under control.

Something I read yesterday said that it's not a second wave in the US in reality, it's just a first wave in those parts of the country which weren't yet hit. I'm not sure whether the data about the individual states in that link backs that up, though; clicking on the projections link for New York certainly doesn't seem to indicate a second wave.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 am Spike in infections on Merseyside in 6 to 8 days???
If we don’t see a spike after the last couple of days behaviour at the beaches then surely they can lift every restriction and its business as usual?
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 am Spike in infections on Merseyside in 6 to 8 days???
It’s never not been a hotspot. The beaches have been rammed for weeks for example.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:10 am
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:44 am USA leading the way in showing the rest of the world what happens if you say sod it, and go back to normal. Second wave shaping up nicely before they’d got the first one under control.

Something I read yesterday said that it's not a second wave in the US in reality, it's just a first wave in those parts of the country which weren't yet hit. I'm not sure whether the data about the individual states in that link backs that up, though; clicking on the projections link for New York certainly doesn't seem to indicate a second wave.
I read similar. I also thought that S. Korea having been so diligent in the first outbreak cleared it up so quickly that they have virtually no herd immunity. They will alway be likely to have the sporadic outbreak and short term lockdown scenario for a long while, NZ will probably also have to live under this spectre too unless there is a vaccine soon.

We haven't seen an increase since the protests a few weeks ago and the number continue to fall, with the realisation and emerging evidence that it was in Europe in December (and likely we'll find the same for the UK) means that we may have achieved that imminity more by luck than judgement.

I also saw that the 2017 Flu season had a worse death rate to what we've seen in the UK to Covid.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... ics%20show.