Coronavirus

Nefarious

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nefarious »

My dad's girlfriend has been a covid-denier from the start (meaning that he pretty much didn't see her for a whole year).

This week her daughter died from Covid, leaving twin 10 year old boys. She was 39. There were underlying (non-respiratory) health issues and she was massively overweight - she was hospitalised around three weeks ago for an unrelated problem and it looks likely that she caught covid in the hospital. She ultimately died from respiratory failure.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Sad news nef. I bet her catching it hospital just bolsters her covid denying beliefs though, rather than demonstrating that the virus don’t give a shit who you are- and also that it’s still a thing and hasn’t gone anywhere
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

When I say covid-denier, I mean firmly believes that there is no such thing and the whole thing is a made up conspiracy (either by white power to oppress minorities, or by governments in league with pharma companies to enable free experimentation on the general population).

I haven't spoken to her since the death, so I'm not quite sure how she's now reconciling her previous beliefs with what are now irrefutable facts.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My Anti-Vax made caught COVID and was OK with it - sick for a week and then fine.

As you can imagine, he's even worse now
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Nefarious wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:17 am leaving twin 10 year old boys. She was 39.
Thats awful, hope they've got plenty of support from the rest of the family...
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

That is tragic ☹️
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Rich B wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:59 am
Nefarious wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:17 am leaving twin 10 year old boys. She was 39.
Thats awful, hope they've got plenty of support from the rest of the family...
Sadly, there is no "rest of the family" - father foxtrot oscarred before they were born, both Pat (my dad's girlfriend) and her daughter were only children. There may be some distant relations back in Barbados, but I'm not sure, and don't think that's a realistic option anyway.

In practical terms, I guess I've just gained a couple of surrogate brothers :shock:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Christ Nef that's awful...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Bleugh. It is the kids you most feel sorry for.

The usual narrative to square this with beliefs is that it wasn’t covid that killed them and the hospital is lying / covering up for something else. Or died with not of. You get complaints about wanting to change death certificates etc.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:31 pm Or died with not of.
The hospital conspiracy theory is still a possibility, but it was very clear that she was admitted with a non-respiratory issue, but ultimately died with breathing problems, so "with not of" should be off the table.

Not that it really matters at this point, TBH.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I should add that this is a bit more distant from me personally than my posts have perhaps implied - my dad and I are on speaking terms, but only just, and he is 500 miles away. I've met Pat twice, but never met either the daughter or the boys.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Re shuffle today - is this to distract from the chaos that the country is in - Im fairly sure there isnt one thread that covers it all.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Why is the country in chaos, Broccers? Be interested in your insight.

My feeling is that this Prime Minister and Government haven't got a fucking clue what they're doing so they're running around trying to deal with crises after they've happened, rather than anticipating them and being ready for them.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Reshuffling seems a pretty bizarre concept really - surely there's some specific knowledge required for each role and not just general management?

Maybe we should do the same - Jobbo, you're a bricklayer now, Broccers - you're a bio-chemist and I'm an Olympic sprinter.
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:38 am Reshuffling seems a pretty bizarre concept really - surely there's some specific knowledge required for each role and not just general management?
Civil Servants run the departments - Ministers manage the civil servants and the media, select the recommendation that the Civil Servant's produce and take the blame for department failings
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 am Why is the country in chaos, Broccers? Be interested in your insight.

My feeling is that this Prime Minister and Government haven't got a fucking clue what they're doing so they're running around trying to deal with crises after they've happened, rather than anticipating them and being ready for them.
Why is the country in chaos?

From 2008 low interest rates.
Covid raping of the countries purse
Brexit
Shortage of everything including energy, goods etc

Probs more, not one thing.

There is a lot of energy spent on asking questions by supposedly intelligent people but no answers - you know what I am saying?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 am My feeling is that this Prime Minister and Government haven't got a fucking clue what they're doing so they're running around trying to deal with crises after they've happened, rather than anticipating them and being ready for them.
I don't think they're handling it as well as you put it there.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 am Why is the country in chaos, Broccers? Be interested in your insight.

Brexit

There is a lot of energy spent on asking questions by supposedly intelligent people but no answers - you know what I am saying?
The answers should come from those who we elect to run things - like you, I just try to run my business within the ever-shifting parameters they set. Whether directly in the form of taxes, or indirectly in the economic environment they create.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:19 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 pm

Brexit

The answers should come from those who we elect to run things - like you, I just try to run my business within the ever-shifting parameters they set. Whether directly in the form of taxes, or indirectly in the economic environment they create.
Are you sure? They aren't paid enough which is why they are inept.