Coronavirus

Nathan

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nathan »

I know a key worker who is tested every 2 weeks and it's just a quick swab from the throat

Which I thought was strange given Zips method was the first method I saw on the news
Real-life Females
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Who could possibly have foreseen this coming?

The government is set to switch their troubled track & trace app to use the APIs developed by Apple & Google...
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ascender wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:45 pm Who could possibly have foreseen this coming?

The government is set to switch their troubled track & trace app to use the APIs developed by Apple & Google...
Link?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:52 pm
Ascender wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:45 pm Who could possibly have foreseen this coming?

Link?
BBC linky
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Apparently Germany was developing its own app, like us, but abandoned it - launched their Apple/Google based one this week.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:lol: A few heads will roll for that one.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Well that’s two good U turns this week!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Oh well that's a suprise :roll:
Left over crest; tightens.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

JonMad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm Oh well that's a suprise :roll:
It genuinely is though?! Since when did our government ever do the sensible thing over this sort of shit, especially after they appointed people with history of major data leaks to run it? :lol:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

One advantage of the switch is that the NHS Covid-19 app will be able to overcome a limitation of iPhones and carry out Bluetooth "handshakes" when the software is running in the background.
I thought a big limitation of the original NHS app was that it had to be the actively running app, with your phone unlocked. Because unless you were using Apple/Google's API, they've limited what bluetooth can do in the background due to various shady methods used by devs to get usage and tracking info?

That statement is just a bit confusing, but might just be me.
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ascender wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:14 pm
One advantage of the switch is that the NHS Covid-19 app will be able to overcome a limitation of iPhones and carry out Bluetooth "handshakes" when the software is running in the background.
I thought a big limitation of the original NHS app was that it had to be the actively running app, with your phone unlocked. Because unless you were using Apple/Google's API, they've limited what bluetooth can do in the background due to various shady methods used by devs to get usage and tracking info?

That statement is just a bit confusing, but might just be me.
All correct to me. I think it’s confusing where it says ‘background’, should say Limited when the phone is locked.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Maybe that's it. I was tying myself in knots trying to work out the logic.

I see Hancock has just said... "Our app won't work because Apple won't change their system".

He really is just throwing stuff out there hoping the majority won't know any better and will just go with it isn't he?
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Didn’t some random app developer point out this serious limitation pretty much as soon as the government announced they would make their own app? Then proceeded to stick their heads in the sand and keep carrying on with it for what, 2 months now?
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:31 pm Didn’t some random app developer point out this serious limitation pretty much as soon as the government announced they would make their own app? Then proceeded to stick their heads in the sand and keep carrying on with it for what, 2 months now?
Yip, along with pretty much anybody who knows anything about how phone operating systems work these days when it comes to privacy.
Cheers,

Mike.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Why would a government app without apple/google's help ever be better than one with it anyway? Seems pretty far fetched.

Anyway, glad they're correcting it rather than trying to flog the dead horse.

This was nice to see on the BBC feed: "Last week, for the first week since mid-March, the number of people who died was no higher than is normal at this time of year".
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Yes so they arent using a failed app and delaying it instead - seems like a sensible idea really.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It was the big headed attitude from the Government thinking they could get Apple and Google to bend to their demands, threatened them with negative press. Backfired massively, I wonder if someone in government has realised that people trust their smartphone provider more than they do their government, and better yet, everyone including the smartphone makers know that.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:14 am These are the kits the government is happily sending to people at home now and of course most people aren’t going to self harm by sticking something so far in so lots of false negatives.
My letter mentioned a prick test, so I'll definitely fail that (along with 99% of you lot!).
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The standard virus check is the swabs, while the antibody test needs a drop of blood.
Cheers, Harry
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Broccers wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:04 am Good to hear Dave. Doesn't sound too nice apart from the pub bit :lol:
I can't begin to tell you how good it was 8-)

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division