Coronavirus

Explosive Newt

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Explosive Newt »

We're in a funny combo of giving up but not giving up: the masks are off but the testing remains.

Requirements to isolate are screwing the workforce. Especially those with school-age kids, who seem to be the principal spreading ground for the virus.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I ree the likes of Sainsburys are retaining a masks policy, albeit "encourage not enforce". To be honest round here I'd say throughout these recent restrictions IME only about 25% of retail staff have been wearing masks, much lower percentage than customers (not sure if they're bound by the same rules?).
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Bah! Got a positive test yesterday after going to a super spreader party on Saturday night in Portugal, half the people from the party are now getting ill. Gonna be interesting to see how a vaxxed and boosted dose of Covid feels compared to the full-blast unvaxxed March 2020 dose of Covid that I had.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I was reading yesterday how the stats are suggesting that if you got one of the earlier variants, you're more likely to catch the latest one.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:28 am I ree the likes of Sainsburys are retaining a masks policy, albeit "encourage not enforce". To be honest round here I'd say throughout these recent restrictions IME only about 25% of retail staff have been wearing masks, much lower percentage than customers (not sure if they're bound by the same rules?).
I said the same to the Mrs yesterday.

On the few times I’ve popped to the supermarket since Christmas I’ve felt like a twat for wearing a mask when less than half the staff are bothering.
Cheers, Harry
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I mostly wear a mask for my own sake. I've managed to not catch COVID this whole time, I refuse to get it now :lol:
An absolute unit
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:48 am I was reading yesterday how the stats are suggesting that if you got one of the earlier variants, you're more likely to catch the latest one.
My boss is on his third run of it right now, caught off his 6 year old daughter. The man has the immune system of a wet paper bag.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I think it depends on the job you are doing as to if you wear a mask.

I had to drag 70kg of luggage through the airport last month with a mask on and really struggled to get enough air in. I can see having to wear it all day would be a struggle for many workers.

Wearing a proper face mask I was able to run around fine but surgical masks really restrict you.

Dave!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Good point - if you are put in more positions that you can catch it due to your job/etc, it's unlikely that that'll change.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:48 am I was reading yesterday how the stats are suggesting that if you got one of the earlier variants, you're more likely to catch the latest one.
Correlation not causation possibly - if you didn't bother to take care then, you probably don't now. It seems unlikely that there's a mechanism which makes you more likely to catch it again when the earlier infection will have given you more antibodies than someone who didn't.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

There is evidence to suggest that some people that have had Delta have also been getting Omicron. It's tied in with Omicron's general ability to diminish antibody response I think. So it's not necessarily that some people are just lax.

For anyone that may be affected - I've just been reading that France is reducing the covid vaccine passport from 7 months to 4 months from Feb 15th. I was literally just about to go for my booster this afternoon when I read that. I've decided I'll wait until late Feb for a booster now instead, as we're looking to go to France in late May early June. In fact, I might wait for a booster now until April in case I need to cover off into the summer as well, if other countries adopt the same approach.

I'm not convinced of the merits of the booster yet, so I was only going to get it so I could travel this year anyway.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

It's good to hear the reports of Omicron being much weaker. It just proves that by keeping everyone locked up whilst they developed and administered the vaccines and building our immune systems was the right thing to do. My understanding is the virus has mutated to a level that even the unvaccinated's (my foster Sister and several people I know of) immune system can cope with. I sure this is the 'herd immunity' they were aiming for all along, but I think Boris let it slip a bit too early for the scientists! I can feel it in my bones that we're nearing the end of this.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:27 pm There is evidence to suggest that some people that have had Delta have also been getting Omicron.
That does not in any way refute my suggestion. As I said, correlation does not imply causation.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:31 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:27 pm There is evidence to suggest that some people that have had Delta have also been getting Omicron.
That does not in any way refute my suggestion. As I said, correlation does not imply causation.
I don't think anyone has ever said that you can't get delta and omicron?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Still loads of zombies out with their masks on in the open air.

A nation scared so much for so little it will ruin many peoples lives for years. Tragic really.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

WAKE UP SHEEPLE
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:53 pmWAKE UP SHEEPLE
Exactly :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:31 pm Still loads of zombies out with their masks on in the open air.

A nation scared so much for so little it will ruin many peoples lives for years. Tragic really.
maybe they have colds or underlying illnesses they'd rather not risk getting it? Maybe it's none of your business?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

CONTROLL !!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:01 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:31 pm
I don't think anyone has ever said that you can't get delta and omicron?
No, but you and Mike both seem to have said that catching Delta makes you more likely to catch Omicron. That’s not necessarily a correct interpretation of the data 😷🤪