Coronavirus

Broccers

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:05 am Thought you'd be more cheerful today Broccers, freedom day and all that.
Suns out, face out :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Happy Freedom Day everyone south of the border! How are you all choosing to celebrate it?

In the case of my team, it seems like catching covid is currently on-trend. 50% of our small delivery team are off work with it today...
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

In other good news, the Irish Republic has dropped the requirement for Isolation and testing for Vaccinated visitors from the UK.

So our trip home is back on for now - however, I fully expect the opening up of the UK to land us on the Emergency Brake list s I'm still not that hopeful...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:02 pm Happy Freedom Day everyone south of the border! How are you all choosing to celebrate it?
There is currently an anti lockdown protest in westminster :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:02 pm Happy Freedom Day everyone south of the border! How are you all choosing to celebrate it?

In the case of my team, it seems like catching covid is currently on-trend. 50% of our small delivery team are off work with it today...
There’s going to be a lot of that.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:30 am She was actually living in the usa
Bloody immigrants.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:59 pm

Yes, rather a lot of it.....
Screenshot_2021-07-19_12-58-01.png
Screenshot_2021-07-19_12-58-01.png (47.08 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

How far and fast this graph rises is the more interesting one.
Screenshot_2021-07-19_13-37-27.png
Screenshot_2021-07-19_13-37-27.png (79.97 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

But Bojo says it's OK so it must be OK.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You just have to accepted that the re opening is idealogical and take whatever happens next on the chin I guess.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A teeny tiny proportion of the population will die its not as scary as they continue to bang on about.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:48 pm A teeny tiny proportion of the population will die its not as scary as they continue to bang on about.
It's the significantly larger proportion who will be in hospital, causing strain on the system that's the real problem.

You know, the literal point of lockdowns in the first place.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Beany wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:53 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:48 pm A teeny tiny proportion of the population will die its not as scary as they continue to bang on about.
It's the significantly larger proportion who will be in hospital, causing strain on the system that's the real problem.

You know, the literal point of lockdowns in the first place.
We'll finally see how the NHS isn't fit for purpose and needs privatised though, I'm sure that never factored into famously pro privatisation Javid's plan.
An absolute unit
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:43 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:59 pm

Yes, rather a lot of it.....

Screenshot_2021-07-19_12-58-01.png

How far and fast this graph rises is the more interesting one.

Screenshot_2021-07-19_13-37-27.png

But Bojo says it's OK so it must be OK.
On the daily admissions part there will be a huge part of these that will be admitted for a few hours and then sent home. Basically any day procedure with a band issued is counted as an admission. This can be verified if you bother to look on the NHS site. Back in January I did this and they made it very easy to determine daily admissions with one headline figure for everyone. However they breakdown discharges into ages groups so there are multiple columns further across the spreadsheet to check, it reels in the TL:DR people who can't be arsed to look for themselves and just quote the stats the media spew.
When you do the maths between admissions and discharges the net increase is nowhere near what is hyped and even during January the net increase in people staying in hospital was less than 200 per day at the peak.

If you look at the stats here for up to the 16th which is newer that that graph: https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/s ... -activity/

The daily increase in occupied beds which is a more accurate statistic for hospital capacity is about an increase of 120 per day and not 500, the rest are not ill enough to need a bed and are sent home.

I was admitted 4 times in January 2020 for renal colic and subsequent follow up procedures. Only once was I ill enough to warrant an overnight stay but all 4 times I was an admission, 3 times being discharged the same day upon completion of the procedure.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

On the ozzie tip - check this one out
Simon

Post by Simon »

Perhaps someone on that side of the planet can correct me, but as I understand it whilst Australia's (and NZ) initial attempts to isolate the country and 'keep C19 out' were successful, their vaccination procurement and subsequent administration has been less than successful.

Ourworldindata has total 'at least' 1 jab coverage at 29% of population, with 2 jabs at just 11%.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:47 pm Perhaps someone on that side of the planet can correct me, but as I understand it whilst Australia's (and NZ) initial attempts to isolate the country and 'keep C19 out' were successful, their vaccination procurement and subsequent administration has been less than successful.

Ourworldindata has total 'at least' 1 jab coverage at 29% of population, with 2 jabs at just 11%.
Yeah it's not great. And it seems like it's not just securing supply that's the issue - the take up rates are low as well.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Right, so perhaps because the populus haven't really experienced Coronavirus, there is less incentive to get protected against it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Also people outside of cities in Australia can be prone to all the same bullshit as rural America. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of anti vax conspiracies floating around.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:08 pm Also people outside of cities in Australia can be prone to all the same bullshit as rural America. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of anti vax conspiracies floating around.
The Australian population is massively concentrated in the big cities (statistically more urbanised than the UK or USA) and anti vax nutjobs are as prevalent in the burbs as anywhere, if not more so.

Plenty of political point scoring over vaccinations and lockdowns but the honeymoon is certainly over for fortress Australia trying to get back to something like normal as the wider world is progressing with vaccinations. Buying in supply hasn't been a political priority for the ruling conservatives while isolationism was still working.

NZ is equally behind at 11% immunised so I imagine faces the same problem of getting people motivated to be jabbed.
Simon

Post by Simon »

As an aside, I had my second AZ first thing this morning and I am knackered right now. Completely exhausted.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Cummings interview.

The soundbite where he says BJ says the over 80s are the only ones who will be affected reminded me that most of that age range said at the time dont shut the country down because of us, we've had our lives.

The proper response to this would have been to focus on those people rather than just sending out a letter. It really is that simple.

Also the testing cases rising is never put in perspective of how many actual tests are taken and a percentage presented - the only percentage is the increase in infections, not hospitalisations.

As for the kids moaning about having to prove theyve had the jabs to get in somewhere - so what, just do it or carry on having your illegal parties like we did when I was a youth.