Coronavirus

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:14 pm Ive just had the jab and have to say what a well organised smooth process it was. Very impressed.
That's early - are you working for the NHS now?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Nathan wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:29 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:19 pm
Nathan wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:14 pm I know of someone who has tested positive 5 weeks after receiving the vaccination

False positive because of the antibodies?
You can still catch it once you've had the jab. The first jab doesn't start to become effective until around wk8 IIRC, and even then you still need the 2nd jab ideally.
I've read 2 weeks, which I thought would be too soon

So bit more about this, it is the 2nd time they've tested positive

1st Positive Result : 5 weeks ago - Reports No Symptoms
Lateral Flow Test (DIY) - Positive
6 days later
PCR Swab - Negative

Recieved COVID Vacinne 1 week later

Then 2nd Positive Result: Last Week - Reports No Symptoms
PCR Laboratory Swab - Positive
4 days Later
Lateral Flow Test (DIY) - Negative

In my mind the odds of false positive results from both testing methods is improbable, so they've still got it ??
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:56 pm
duncs500 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 pm I thought that was the one that was most effective against the SA variant?
ZA = South Africa.

SA = Saudi Arabia.

/pedant
Yeah, I'm talking about the Saudi Arabian variant. Causes severe pedantry in its victims followed by gruesome death. Oh wait, mik, nooooooo! :o
mik

Post by mik »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 pm
mik wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:56 pm
duncs500 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 pm I thought that was the one that was most effective against the SA variant?
ZA = South Africa.

SA = Saudi Arabia.

/pedant
Yeah, I'm talking about the Saudi Arabian variant. Causes severe pedantry in its victims followed by gruesome death. Oh wait, mik, nooooooo! :o
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I read yesterday about the algorithm that's been developed to help determine the next phases of the vaccine rollout, once the first 9 groups have been done. Developed by Oxford Uni amongst others, and early testing on known cases suggests it's fairly accurate at predicting a scale of the most to least vulnerable.

There was a link to put some stats in and get a "score", so I did both mine and the wife's vital stats. Bear in mind I'm 1yr younger, have no known health conditions at all, whereas the wife has her transplant, is asthmatic and there was one other factor I can't recall. My risk score was higher!

One assumes therefore, that it's your sex that has a massive bearing on your risk. Be interesting to see if they start lining all us blokes up first
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Nathan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:03 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:19 pm

You can still catch it once you've had the jab. The first jab doesn't start to become effective until around wk8 IIRC, and even then you still need the 2nd jab ideally.

6 days later
PCR Swab - Negative

Recieved COVID Vaccine 1 week later

4 days Later

In my mind the odds of false positive results from both testing methods is improbable, so they've still got it ??
You continue to shed fragments of RNA for weeks after infection. The virus is dead but your body is still shovelling the corpses out. That's why the lateral flow didn't pick it up but the PCR did.

We don't tend to re-test patients in hospital for this reason, it doesn't tell you if people are infectious or not for weeks after. Public Health England guidelines would be that someone is considered 'green' (not infectious) 14 days after a positive swab so long as their symptoms have improved.

The caveat is immunocompromise; we know these people can unfortunately harbour the virus for ages and even turn into persistent shedders.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

And off for a test again *sigh*.

Hopefully results will be as quick as last time. Still means we're missing out seeing our support bubble today, and if positive obviously disrupts the next two weeks. Meh.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:57 am And off for a test again *sigh*.

Hopefully results will be as quick as last time. Still means we're missing out seeing our support bubble today, and if positive obviously disrupts the next two weeks. Meh.
Symptoms or some other reason?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My, it-is-very-likely-just-a-cold, cough has gotten worse, so needs checking. Apart from the usual cold symptoms, I'm fine. So just a precaution.
---
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:37 am My, it-is-very-likely-just-a-cold, cough has gotten worse, so needs checking. Apart from the usual cold symptoms, I'm fine. So just a precaution.
Good luck! GWS!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:21 am
Nathan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:03 pm

6 days later
PCR Swab - Negative

Recieved COVID Vaccine 1 week later

4 days Later

You continue to shed fragments of RNA for weeks after infection. The virus is dead but your body is still shovelling the corpses out. That's why the lateral flow didn't pick it up but the PCR did.

We don't tend to re-test patients in hospital for this reason, it doesn't tell you if people are infectious or not for weeks after. Public Health England guidelines would be that someone is considered 'green' (not infectious) 14 days after a positive swab so long as their symptoms have improved.

The caveat is immunocompromise; we know these people can unfortunately harbour the virus for ages and even turn into persistent shedders.
Thankyou
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Test came back negative, so just a cold. 19.5 hours from test booking to result this time.
---
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:42 am Test came back negative, so just a cold. 19.5 hours from test booking to result this time.
Ah good. Infection rates on London are pretty low now, so I thought the odds were probably in your favour. Better to be sure though.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:48 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:42 am Test came back negative, so just a cold. 19.5 hours from test booking to result this time.
Ah good. Infection rates on London are pretty low now, so I thought the odds were probably in your favour. Better to be sure though.
Yes, seems the right way to do it.
---
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Decent marks for this comment tho

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Broccers wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:21 pm Decent marks for this comment tho

Great stuff! The media are obsessed with asking about holidays. Surely it'd be better to help people understand that going abroad really isn't a priority this year! People really are selfish and dumb.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

This better be totally wrong

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

September:

Ah shit, here we go again 😉
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Looks pretty much as you'd expect.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Broccers wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:52 pm This better be totally wrong

Yes. I really hope that's bullshit. Arguing yesterday with my BiL about school. IMO it's too soon to have to kids back. Nevermind the other nonsense.

We need a bit longer in lockdown I'd say.