Coronavirus

drcarlos

Re: Coronavirus

Post by drcarlos »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 am So noone lives in tower blocks Zedleg..... tiresome fella.
He has made a valid point though. A lockdown in a country with a large area and realtively small population will stop it's spread to other areas quite effectively (much like Spain) and mean that certain areas can remain untouched with no infections (and any immunity at all). It only takes one or two people once the lockdown lifts to be asymptomatic and to visit a new area (such as a friend in a tower block) to start it all up again.
It won't go away quickly unless we get the herd immunity or a vaccine untl then we are likely to get flares ups in areas that were not touched in the main first wave.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

A surprising amount of people not understanding Australia's population spread
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

According to wiki Melbourne has a much smaller population density than London.

I understand that most of Australia’s population is concentrated around the coasts but people just aren’t crammed together the same way as they are here.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

London is not representative of the rest of England or the UK though. England's population density (I've limited it to that as it cuts out most of the more rural areas of the UK) is c430/sqkm - Melbourne metro area is c510/sqkm. It's reasonably comparable.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

How is England more comparable to Melbourne?

Genuinely asking, is there some population maths I’m missing here.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:12 am
Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 am So noone lives in tower blocks Zedleg..... tiresome fella.
He has made a valid point though. A lockdown in a country with a large area and realtively small population will stop it's spread to other areas quite effectively (much like Spain) and mean that certain areas can remain untouched with no infections (and any immunity at all). It only takes one or two people once the lockdown lifts to be asymptomatic and to visit a new area (such as a friend in a tower block) to start it all up again.
It won't go away quickly unless we get the herd immunity or a vaccine untl then we are likely to get flares ups in areas that were not touched in the main first wave.
People aren’t just going to go back to normal overnight, and maybe not ever back to the old “normal”. There’ll be lots of changes that would dramatically slow another spread. Little things like people not just “soldiering on and going into work/visit family” when they have any symptoms, and understanding what social distancing actually means.

At the moment there are plenty of people not following the rules, but even the most ardent rule breaker would still be actively avoiding people showing any symptoms and probably wouldn’t go out with symptoms. Sure, some won’t show symptoms, but that’s the case now and the numbers are dropping.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:19 am London is not representative of the rest of England or the UK though. England's population density (I've limited it to that as it cuts out most of the more rural areas of the UK) is c430/sqkm - Melbourne metro area is c510/sqkm. It's reasonably comparable.
comparing a whole country to a city isn’t really reasonable! 😅
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:28 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:19 am London is not representative of the rest of England or the UK though. England's population density (I've limited it to that as it cuts out most of the more rural areas of the UK) is c430/sqkm - Melbourne metro area is c510/sqkm. It's reasonably comparable.
I was quoting the stats for the metro area of Melbourne - the City itself is obviously way more densely populated. Granted, it's still a poor approximation tbf. However, it's nowhere near crude as implying that Aus is far less densely populated than the UK.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:42 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:28 am
I was quoting the stats for the metro area of Melbourne - the City itself is obviously way more densely populated. Granted, it's still a poor approximation tbf. However, it's nowhere near crude as implying that Aus is far less densely populated than the UK.
why not just compare the 2nd most populous city (Birmingham) in the uk with the 2nd most populous city in Australia?
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Travelled up the regional cancer care unit with the missus yesterday. The first time I'd had to wear a mask and it was a bit shit really, so I'm glad it was a one-off. 99% of people were sticking to the rules though, I guess as you'd expect at a hospital.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am @unzippy are deaths up or just infections? Is summer ending?
Infections are up, surprisingly little deaths.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-a ... se-numbers.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

unzippy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:58 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am @unzippy are deaths up or just infections? Is summer ending?

There was big lag between infections going up and the death rate climbing, it’s about a month I think :(
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

unzippy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Probably a case of those more at risk (of dying - old/ill/etc) shielding and being shielded by the rest.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Sounds like it’s being looked into and might go away though. It’s probably just the way it’s been structured in rather than anything deliberate. I guess it’s a test of Rishi...
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:02 pm 16 more deaths but headlines are the total.

It's almost as if it's a huge MSM con. 😄
155 today, the 16 was the usual weekend lull which is to be ignored. Infections are up to 581 too.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/#catego ... s&map=rate
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:59 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:02 pm 16 more deaths but headlines are the total.

155 today, the 16 was the usual weekend lull which is to be ignored. Infections are up to 581 too.

622 and 155 last Tuesday, so a slight decrease in cases at least. All very slow going though.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:47 pm

622 and 155 last Tuesday, so a slight decrease in cases at least. All very slow going though.
Daily number of COVID-19 associated UK deaths

Key word.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:48 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:47 pm

Daily number of COVID-19 associated UK deaths

Key word.
Not to me, I'm just comparing one figure against another to see if there's progress. So as long as the ones last Tuesday were also "associated" then I'm comparing apples with apples.
Last edited by duncs500 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

11000 AUS dollars or 1 year in prison if you flout lockdown in Oz - could do with a bit of that here.