Coronavirus

Nefarious

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nefarious »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:45 am Question for our Scottish chums: Is the general feeling that NS is acting in the best interest of Scotland by always being slightly more cautious than the English rules or do you think she is using it as a political opportunity to show that Westminster are a callous bunch and that you'd be better off ruled by her?

I feel like if I was a business owner in Scotland I'd be a bit peeved at watching all the English businesses open up when the infection rate is pretty low in Scotland.

Probably the answer is it depends on your political persuasion.:)
I dont think the two are mutually exclusive - NS has earned some credibility even among SNP opponents in her handling of the announcements and explanation of the rules. In contract to Johnson/Hancock/Raab etc, she's come across as consistent, pragmatic and sympathetic. To some extent it's an open political goal, because her hands are tied on a lot of the actual policy making, and it's not difficult to come across as level-headed and reasonable in comparison to the dishonest flapping shit show from downing street.
So, yeah, political points are definitely being scored, but I'd say, on the whole, she's taken more of the Scottish population with her on the strategy of a longer lockdown on the promise of a more normal normal at the end, and there definitely seems to be less immediate clamour up here to get out to pubs etc than it appears down in England...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:46 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 am Off for my vaccine (or placebo) this afternoon as part of the Oxford trial. I was quite surprised that when they ran my serology it came back negative, but I guess the PPE works after all.
Oof, I felt that. Worse than the last flu vaccine, spent all of Sunday in bed.
Amazing how powerful the effects of a placebo can be :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

16 more deaths but headlines are the total.

It's almost as if it's a huge MSM con. 😄
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Nefarious wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:07 am
duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:45 am Question for our Scottish chums: Is the general feeling that NS is acting in the best interest of Scotland by always being slightly more cautious than the English rules or do you think she is using it as a political opportunity to show that Westminster are a callous bunch and that you'd be better off ruled by her?

I feel like if I was a business owner in Scotland I'd be a bit peeved at watching all the English businesses open up when the infection rate is pretty low in Scotland.

Probably the answer is it depends on your political persuasion.:)
I dont think the two are mutually exclusive - NS has earned some credibility even among SNP opponents in her handling of the announcements and explanation of the rules. In contract to Johnson/Hancock/Raab etc, she's come across as consistent, pragmatic and sympathetic. To some extent it's an open political goal, because her hands are tied on a lot of the actual policy making, and it's not difficult to come across as level-headed and reasonable in comparison to the dishonest flapping shit show from downing street.
So, yeah, political points are definitely being scored, but I'd say, on the whole, she's taken more of the Scottish population with her on the strategy of a longer lockdown on the promise of a more normal normal at the end, and there definitely seems to be less immediate clamour up here to get out to pubs etc than it appears down in England...
99% of the reaction I see to her and the government’s actions are down to political persuasion tbh. If you’re a rational person, I suspect you will think she’s done very well during all of this, although it has to be measured against the clown show from Downing Street. And in a way, she can just be cautious, play it safe and all appears to be good in the hood compared to England.

I do think she’s played to the Nationalist gallery at times, but she’s never going to change her ways so you just have to ignore that stuff. Social media has of course been utterly & predictably depressing from the loons on both sides of the independence debate. Its tiresome tbh.
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:02 pm 16 more deaths but headlines are the total.

Where are you getting that figure from?

NHS says 15 today, covering the weekend.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/s ... ly-deaths/

Edit: here, at least it’s a reputable source!

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:24 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:02 pm 16 more deaths but headlines are the total.

15/16 hardly a lot
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:16 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:24 pm

15/16 hardly a lot
I’ve just never looked for a proper source before, it’s always been in the daily briefings.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

unzippy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:54 am Local re-lock down in 13 postcodes here in Melb until the end of July. Back to:
There are only four reasons you can leave your house: for work or school, for care or care giving, for daily exercise, and for food and other essentials. You cannot leave your postcode except for work. Likewise, you can only travel into these areas for work you have to do in person, or to provide or receive care.

Also a "Hard" lockdown in 9 tower blocks - that's 3,000 residents banned from leaving their homes for at least five days.

Now stage 3 lockdown for the entire Melbourne metropolitan area, starting from Weds midnight, for another 6 weeks.

No more pub.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

unzippy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:00 am
unzippy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:54 am Local re-lock down in 13 postcodes here in Melb until the end of July. Back to:
There are only four reasons you can leave your house: for work or school, for care or care giving, for daily exercise, and for food and other essentials. You cannot leave your postcode except for work. Likewise, you can only travel into these areas for work you have to do in person, or to provide or receive care.

Also a "Hard" lockdown in 9 tower blocks - that's 3,000 residents banned from leaving their homes for at least five days.

Now stage 3 lockdown for the entire Melbourne metropolitan area, starting from Weds midnight, for another 6 weeks.

No more pub.
6 weeks seems excessive, but better to be safe than sorry I suppose.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

[mention]unzippy[/mention] are deaths up or just infections? Is summer ending?
Marv

Post by Marv »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am @unzippy are deaths up or just infections? Is summer ending?
Middle of winter down under, right now.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Marv wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:44 am
Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am @unzippy are deaths up or just infections? Is summer ending?
Interesting to see what happens. The demographic of people who have passed away would certainly be useful for those to protect themselves here. After all it seems its life as normal for most.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve been a visor and Chinese KN95 mask from the council 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:51 am
Marv wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:44 am
Interesting to see what happens. The demographic of people who have passed away would certainly be useful for those to protect themselves here. After all it seems its life as normal for most.
It’s not really comparable. Australia has about a third of the UK population in a country more than ten times the size.

Social distancing is easy when your nearest neighbour is a hundred miles away 😉
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

So noone lives in tower blocks Zedleg..... tiresome fella.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Summer / winter has nothing to do with it or it wouldn’t currently be running wild in places around the equator.

Or are you still suggesting it’s just seasonal flu?
Cheers, Harry
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 am So noone lives in tower blocks Zedleg..... tiresome fella.
Any data you get regarding the effectiveness of localised lockdowns etc wouldn’t be relevant here as the population density is completely different.
An absolute unit
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Yeah, and Australia’s winter is about the same as one of our typical British summers! :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:53 am
Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 am So noone lives in tower blocks Zedleg..... tiresome fella.
Any data you get regarding the effectiveness of localised lockdowns etc wouldn’t be relevant here as the population density is completely different.
Yeah, Melbourne has a higher population density than England...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:54 am Yeah, and Australia’s winter is about the same as one of our typical British summers! :lol:
Don't go to Melbourne in between June and September unless you want a very rude shock.

As an expat the easy answer to the question "Don't you miss the weather?"

Is "No I'm from Melbourne"

:P

Anyway, population density in Aus is 99% of the population within 100km of the coast. Density in the big cities is similar to any other metropolis but outside of them is a whole lot of not very much.

So transmission within a city is comparable, transmission between centres is completely different.