Coronavirus

MikeHunt

Re: Coronavirus

Post by MikeHunt »

Barry wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:48 pm
MikeHunt wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:18 am
Does anyone know if we can venture into Wales, the guidance isn’t clear.
It's allowed now, cafe's can serve people again too, just the usual masks/distance rules in place.
Thanks, weather permitting that’s my Saturday morning sorted. Can’t wait to see what the bbrgti mx5 can do.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

To those more educated than myself on vaccines why are they talking about a 3rd booster jab later this year if the first two are so successful?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Broccers wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:33 am To those more educated than myself on vaccines why are they talking about a 3rd booster jab later this year if the first two are so successful?
They’ve discussed this- it’s to account for all the variants which are emerging all the time. The covid jab will end up like the flu jab, you’ll get an annual booster depending which variant is it that year. It’s x variant so here’s x booster
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think there's a bit of clarity needed really. Reading around last night it seems that even the India 'double mutant' isn't a vaccine escape class of virus, so I'm not 100% on how much we'll need a variant vaccine.

Anyway, felt like a freight train hit me last night. Proper full on flu. Had a very bad night sleep and now have a headache from hell I'm trying to shift.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

jamcg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:03 am
Broccers wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:33 am To those more educated than myself on vaccines why are they talking about a 3rd booster jab later this year if the first two are so successful?
They’ve discussed this- it’s to account for all the variants which are emerging all the time. The covid jab will end up like the flu jab, you’ll get an annual booster depending which variant is it that year. It’s x variant so here’s x booster
So the more variants that emerge the more boosters required, correct? Before you know it there's going to be quarterly boosters for the vulnerable.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Not really, the booster will probably just be rolled into the annual flu jab. Like they’ve said they’re doing now.
An absolute unit
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sorry to all those feeling grim post 2nd dose! It's just your immune system telling you he's proud of you.

Most of the variants around seem to at most reduce vaccine neutralisation but don't completely get rid of it (i.e. they aren't 'escape variants') so probably the vaccines most people have had will be ok for most but we will want to identify at risk groups (i.e. people who are more susceptable such as the elderly or infirm or people who can be exposed to it a lot like healthcare workers) to hit with boosters.

I say "seem to" as most of this analysis has been conducted by testing antibodies from people who have been vaccinated against spike protein from variant viruses. Relatively few of them have looked at the reactions of T-cells (white blood cells) to the virus in people who have been vaccinated and we have basically no data on how vaccines affect spread of variants "in the wild". However I think it's fair to say that the medical establishment is increasingly optimistic that countries with high levels of vaccination don't seem to be having problems with variants.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Thats the idea with the flu jab, you get a mild dose and it makes you feel shit. How come there arent as many strains of flu each year @Explosive Newt
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

There are. Influenza undergoes “antigenic drift” whereby the two offensive proteins (haemagglutin and neuraminidase*) slowly mutate. Each year, vaccinologists have to guess which strains will be most prevalent and concoct their vaccines accordingly, with varying success.

Every once in a while (usually as a result of species-species transmission), it undergoes antigenic shift and a whole new strain appears. This is what causes the most risk as people are unprotected against the totally new antigens.

*hence the flu nomenclature of HxNx.
tim

Post by tim »

I had my 2nd dose of Oxford-Astra a couple of weeks ago - zero side effects this time, after the first dose really knocked me out. Nurse did say folks are reporting much lower incidence of grimness after the second one.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

After having my first AZ doze tea time on Monday, yesterday felt like a 5 day flu condensed into 1 day (aches, shivers, temperature, nausea), today its all gone bar a bit of tiredness and on a plus side the persistent bunged nose I have been getting since January is now much better.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Has anyone had side effects from Pfizer? It seems exclusively AZ from people I've spoken to.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:19 pm Has anyone had side effects from Pfizer? It seems exclusively AZ from people I've spoken to.
Stops you falling out of bed.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Second dose my arm hurt like a real fecker and I had a slight headache but I’m hardly representative 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Colleague ended up with an itchy arm after the Moderna jab.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:19 pm Has anyone had side effects from Pfizer? It seems exclusively AZ from people I've spoken to.
I've seen comments that AZ seems to hit people on the first dose, Pfizer tends to catch you on the second.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

My Mam got a thing through from the bio bank people to take a covid antibody test, looks very similar to the lateral flow tests but uses a few drops of blood on the test. Happy to see it came through as positive for antibodies. She’s had 2 dose of AZ vaccine, but apparently it’s possible to still produce a negative result
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I felt a bit off after the first one but grim for 24 hours after the second. Colleagues have been fine. It’s all a bit variable…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:46 pm
I felt a bit off after the first one but grim for 24 hours after the second. Colleagues have been fine. It’s all a bit variable…
with which?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:46 pm
with which?
Sorry, I had Pfizer.