Coronavirus

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

In Trafford it's actually the affluent areas where the spikes have been seen and reportedly amongst 17-23year olds. Elsewhere, however, it does seem.to correlate with a certain demographic.

As of today, and going off a few FB posts I've seen, Cheshire and the Midlands better watch out as there might be a bit of an exodus from GM. :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 am How about people just listen to the advice and don’t go to the pub when we’re in the middle of a serious pandemic whether it’s legal or not? 🤷🏻‍♂️
so no pubs until C19 has been eradicated in your view?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 am
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 am How about people just listen to the advice and don’t go to the pub when we’re in the middle of a serious pandemic whether it’s legal or not? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I believe sitting outside a pub is different to being in one. Can't say I'm missing 4 quid pints 😆

Just been in McDonald's to get a burger and coffee take out, got to wear mask even tho empty and screens. Bonkers.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I went to the pub in Cheltenham for a drink with former colleagues on Wednesday. It was only today I realised I hadn't been asked for any details - I have either booked and provided contact details that way, or been asked to give them, everywhere else I've been. Seems relevant when reading about the pub in Stone.
Simon

Post by Simon »

So, what's the score with companies like Jet2 with holiday makers currently in Spain? 'Come back now or make you're own way back'. AFAIK airlines can't do this right? If they cancel a flight they can't just leave you abandoned somewhere and have to arrange alternative transit?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:11 am In Trafford it's actually the affluent areas where the spikes have been seen and reportedly amongst 17-23year olds
I'd argue its this age group that will be responsible for transmission to their older, more vulnerable members of family

I wonder how much of today's announcement is due to Eid
Last edited by Nathan on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real-life Females
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Nathan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:11 am In Trafford it's actually the affluent areas where the spikes have been seen and reportedly amongst 17-23year olds
I'd argue its this age group that will be responsible for transition to their older more vulnerable members of family

I wonder how much of today's announcement is due to Eid
Are you saying that those areas of society would not adhere to the rules because of a religious festival?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

In parts, yes

Just like my white neigbours who have treated lockdown as one extended bank holiday
Real-life Females
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Amjid Khan (@totalkharnage) Tweeted:
Imagine someone told you at 10pm on Christmas Eve you couldn’t go round to you family tomorrow to celebrate Christmas when you’d made plans, tons of food, bought presents etc.

Middle England would be in uproar.

Twitter thread is car crash non shocker.

If there is evidence that folks really are having big family get togethers indoors then that's a bit daft innit.

Possibly it's the fact that this is just an assumption and the rule therefore rushed out is the worst of it. Possibly not though!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

If there was evidence that cases were starting to spike again in my area then I would not want to go to the pub at that time. It’s fairly obvious that the more people there are in a certain area the more likely a contagious virus is likely to spread, especially if it involves eating, drinking, talking, laughing, people letting their guard down etc.

As it happens, I think the measures we already have in place make the idea of visiting a pub less attractive anyway so I’m not really in any rush to go back into one.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:19 pm It’s fairly obvious that the more people there are in a certain area the more likely a contagious virus is likely to spread, especially if it involves eating, drinking, talking, laughing, people letting their guard down etc.
I get it, but where do you stop? - in reality your logic should be asking you not to go into your workplace either. And whilst you could say that pubs aren’t as essential as going to work, the pub is work for massive amounts of people, and sooner or later they’re going to end up in poverty if we don’t open up.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Pubs are outdoors only at the moment though aren't they? There's been no spike that seems to correspond to large numbers of people gathering outdoors (see beaches in the south and the BLM protests from a few weeks ago). The evidenve reportedly points to cooset proximity indoors being a key aspect of transmission
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Nah, you can sit (distanced) inside, but a lot of places with outdoor areas aren't bothering with it I think.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I've had one outing to a beer garden behind a pub very local to us. Was a balmy evening night and actually a better experience than pre-covid as you ordered drinks with your phone and they brought them to your table - no sharp elbows at the bar required.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I'm sat outside the village pub now and have been since 5pm. My wife and daughter have joined me and it's all perfectly safe. Good social distancing, clear instructions when you go inside and people being respectful and polite.

We bought my dad's MR2 from an Pakistani gent and even he was slating his own kind for congregating in mosque and social spaces without a care for any precautions. They're just not bothered according to him.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Broccers wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:35 am
I believe sitting outside a pub is different to being in one. Can't say I'm missing 4 quid pints 😆

Just been in McDonald's to get a burger and coffee take out, got to wear mask even tho empty and screens. Bonkers.
The idea is you don’t cough all over the screens, touching contaminated surfaces is still regarded as one of highest likelihood of transmission
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

jamcg wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:02 am ude

The idea is you don’t cough all over the screens, touching contaminated surfaces is still regarded as one of highest likelihood of transmission
Ah I geddit - press the touch screen which hadnt been wiped from the previous punter and get diseased from there.

After saying I wouldn't go back to the gym previously I did pop in Virgin to see what the crack was on wednesday. It had half the gear available, limited opening hours, my coffee was served in a disposable cup and the price was still 56 quid a month. So I checked out another (Xercise4less) which is nearby. Set in a huge warehouse it is a million times more suitable and has wipe stations / cleaning stuff all over. Its open longer, less busy and 10 quid a month until Jan with no joinging fee or contract - I am now a new member. Hardly anyone in at 9pm last night. Anyway - I guess my rambling point is - its quite possible to do these things, you may need to change venue tho and be sensible. 8-)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The main takeaway from a global pandemic is that gym memberships are a rip off :lol:
An absolute unit
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Has anyone actually used a tape measure to see how far 2 meters apart is? I bet many would be suprised - it's further than you think and 90% of people are way closer than that. I was workning in a pub recently (closed due to refurb) and they were setting the tables out in the garden area. They were way too close & they were scratching their heads. I offered my tape measure and they were gobsmacked how far out their guess had been. They had to lose 50% of the tables.

My local pub has tables outside and if they're a meter apart I'd be amazed. It was rammed the other night, kids running in and out of tables etc. We really are fucked if this is going on everywhere.

With regard to the Christmas post above, I wouldn't have organised meeting up regardless. This virus hasn't gone away, it's just killing less people at the moment. It will be back though, as our race is too stupid, selfish and entitled to fight it.

I have to wonder how todays generation would cope with WW2 levels of inconvenience. How many would be up in arms at having to switch our lights out, removing road signs, ration petrol and food. Oh the humanity! What about our human rights, our freedom of speech! The war is a conspiracy designed by the Governments to control us.

Fucking shameful.

Stay away from people and wear a mask. It's not fucking hard is it?
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Simon

Post by Simon »

A post full of correctness.
The artist formerly known as _Who_