Coronavirus

Broccers

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Broccers »

Theres an assumption everyone is a raving alchy and needs to go out and get shitted. I'd rather not bother until the novelty wears off and even then be sat outside in the sun..... which is mia today here.

Awaiting the msm being on the streets waiting to pounce as 10 people have a fight where reporting on white city seemed a bit thin on the ground last night.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

TBH a lot of the reason I'd be going is to support local pubs that have really been struggling. Probably only have one or two, but I want them to feel like things are going to pick up. I certainly wouldn't be going to any chain pubs it's not really about the drinking itself for me. I'm a right lightweight since lockdown, one beer seems to be getting me merry lately. :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We went through Stamford at 13:00 ish and a lot of the pubs seemed very much not socially distancing. I don’t think any of them were chains either.

In the town only 1 I drove past but didn’t seem to be open despite saying they would at 12:00.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Been in a couple of pubs today, my experience is that none were that busy. There are varying standards of how serious they are taking it which probably correlates to how much money they have:

Nice pub in town has a decent sized beer garden and they had a full on one way system with plastic cups, beer garden only, all staff in masks.

Pub in the village that we haven't heard a peep from since lockdown started was a lot more relaxed, it's got a nice garden so we sat out there, there were a few regulars propping up the bar and not doing a good job of distancing and no staff wearing masks, but the garden was empty. A few token signs strewn around.

I know the other more upmarket local has an extensive set up, including big perspex screens at the bar, but we didn't go there today as we've been supporting it a fair bit with food and drink takeaways throughout.

In general, nothing looks any busier than your average pre-lockdown Saturday, in fact a fair bit quieter.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Do you think the bars have all their details?
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Maybe there won’t be any second wave and we’ll recognise last night as the big “Farewell to Covid” street party?
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ascender wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:01 am Maybe there won’t be any second wave and we’ll recognise last night as the big “Farewell to Covid” street party?
That would be a good outcome. Hope you're right.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The thing is you won't see hundreds of pictures of millions of people behaving as that's boring. The tweet above is London and a few hundred stood too close. All very tiring.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You‘ll catch a lot of things in SoHo but Covid ain’t one of them ime.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:17 am The thing is you won't see hundreds of pictures of millions of people behaving as that's boring. The tweet above is London and a few hundred stood too close. All very tiring.
There were some good pictures of pubs using the pavements and streets outside their premises with lots of tables which looked great. That sort of thing would work really well in Edinburgh if it weren’t for the narrow pavements and congested roads. I did wonder if there would be a way to use this whole thing as a way to reduce capacity for cars in city centres - either by new one way systems or just banning cars to encourage use of public transport & bikes, but I guess that was never going to happen.
Cheers,

Mike.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s happened in loads of places.

All the towns around here have shut off high streets to cars and set up one way systems to allow free distances movement of pedestrians.

Most of the schemes have been a disaster and made it impossible for people to actually get into town so there’s no people there so are being changed or dropped entirely.
Cheers, Harry
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:17 am The thing is you won't see hundreds of pictures of millions of people behaving as that's boring. The tweet above is London and a few hundred stood too close. All very tiring.
You mean like pictures of thousands of protestors wearing masks and social distancing is less interesting than a few hundred causing trouble?
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ascender wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:31 am
There were some good pictures of pubs using the pavements and streets outside their premises with lots of tables which looked great. That sort of thing would work really well in Edinburgh if it weren’t for the narrow pavements and congested roads. I did wonder if there would be a way to use this whole thing as a way to reduce capacity for cars in city centres - either by new one way systems or just banning cars to encourage use of public transport & bikes, but I guess that was never going to happen.
Totally agree. :)
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Local re-lock down in 13 postcodes here in Melb until the end of July. Back to:
There are only four reasons you can leave your house: for work or school, for care or care giving, for daily exercise, and for food and other essentials. You cannot leave your postcode except for work. Likewise, you can only travel into these areas for work you have to do in person, or to provide or receive care.

Also a "Hard" lockdown in 9 tower blocks - that's 3,000 residents banned from leaving their homes for at least five days.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I think if we were going to have a second wave, we would probably have had it by now - lockdown fatigue hit and half the country haven't been properly distancing for the last month yet overall cases/mortality is on the down. Countries which were ahead of us aren't seeing big second waves. I think the places that had smaller first peaks are having longer tails, hence Leicester, Bradford, etc.

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 am Off for my vaccine (or placebo) this afternoon as part of the Oxford trial. I was quite surprised that when they ran my serology it came back negative, but I guess the PPE works after all.
Oof, I felt that. Worse than the last flu vaccine, spent all of Sunday in bed.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:46 am I think if we were going to have a second wave, we would probably have had it by now - lockdown fatigue hit and half the country haven't been properly distancing for the last month yet overall cases/mortality is on the down. Countries which were ahead of us aren't seeing big second waves. I think the places that had smaller first peaks are having longer tails, hence Leicester, Bradford, etc.

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 am Off for my vaccine (or placebo) this afternoon as part of the Oxford trial. I was quite surprised that when they ran my serology it came back negative, but I guess the PPE works after all.
Oof, I felt that. Worse than the last flu vaccine, spent all of Sunday in bed.
Hopefully it works! Although I guess with infection rates so low it's going to be fairly difficult to correlate? They should send you to Mexico for a month.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

No ta! They've set up further bits of the trial in Brazil and modified the arm I'm in so I get serial blood tests to see how quickly my serology changes and how long it lasts.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:01 am No ta! They've set up further bits of the trial in Brazil and modified the arm I'm in so I get serial blood tests to see how quickly my serology changes and how long it lasts.
Is there optimism around that it will be effective?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Went to the pub yesterday in the village. No bookings, but you had to find a table on the green out front and text an order which they bought out to a table for contactless payment. No table, no service. They said they’d been busy and what we saw was about as busy as any normal sunny Sunday afternoon. It’s not something we do often but we’re curious to see the arrangements. Off to get my hair cut today at some point, which will be interesting.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:11 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:01 am No ta! They've set up further bits of the trial in Brazil and modified the arm I'm in so I get serial blood tests to see how quickly my serology changes and how long it lasts.
Is there optimism around that it will be effective?
There's always optimism...
The phase 1 pilot study looked good and people reliably generated antigens against coronavirus so fingers very much crossed.