Coronavirus

ZedLeg

Re: Coronavirus

Post by ZedLeg »

4E6AEFD2-5255-42C9-9635-D760AD99600E.jpeg
4E6AEFD2-5255-42C9-9635-D760AD99600E.jpeg (162.98 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
I don’t think this is true. Maybe in the neo lib centre it was accepted but people on the left have been calling on government to do more to help the poor since the start of this. Whether it’s increased benefits, rent freezes, bans on evictions etc.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Ah, so it’s the left’s fault when a right-wing Government mandates a lockdown. Gotcha. :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It’ll be interesting to see what the outcome of this is. Gov to discuss opening pubs on 22nd June instead of the 4th July to help prevent job losses in the sector, conversation happening on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52964669
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I imagine this announcement will be without consultation with the sector, since it's not just a case of the employees turning up on 22 June and manning the beer taps. There's the full out of date barrels to be removed (much harder to get out of cellars than when they're empty), new ones to be delivered, and the beer to go in them needs to be brewed yet.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Surely most pubs got rid of their beer some time ago Simon? I know our locals sold theirs off near the start of lockdown.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It’ll be interesting to see if they mandate limits on drinking to try and prevent people getting smashed, or if it’ll be ‘up to the landlord to decide what’s right’.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Limits per person wouldn't be a bad idea.

I do think the Aussies have it right when it comes to the laws around "Being Intoxicated"
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:05 pm It’ll be interesting to see if they mandate limits on drinking to try and prevent people getting smashed, or if it’ll be ‘up to the landlord to decide what’s right’.
I honestly think folk will limit themselves as the prices will rise and they are used to buying cheaper booze. Plus some wont miss it now theyve done without for 3 months :lol: I do miss watching sport tho and when thats back I'll be in the pub but it may not be any good with 10 people rather than 30.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:16 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:05 pm It’ll be interesting to see if they mandate limits on drinking to try and prevent people getting smashed, or if it’ll be ‘up to the landlord to decide what’s right’.
I honestly think folk will limit themselves
Right. Back in the real world...
Simon

Post by Simon »

23 years ago when I worked in the pub there were rules about selling to people who were clearly intoxicated (ie, don't). I can't remember if they were laws or just company rules though...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:01 pm Surely most pubs got rid of their beer some time ago Simon? I know our locals sold theirs off near the start of lockdown.
Sold off? How, when it would have been in barrels and require taps to serve?

The problem seems to have been big enough to make the FT: https://www.ft.com/content/61d2ddb8-81c ... d6777443bc
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:13 pm 23 years ago when I worked in the pub there were rules about selling to people who were clearly intoxicated (ie, don't). I can't remember if they were laws or just company rules though...
Those are laws, and when enforced properly, can mean the landlord losing their licence IIRC.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:23 pm
duncs500 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:01 pm Surely most pubs got rid of their beer some time ago Simon? I know our locals sold theirs off near the start of lockdown.

The problem seems to have been big enough to make the FT: https://www.ft.com/content/61d2ddb8-81c ... d6777443bc
They both just had a few days where they said bring a container, £2 a pint or something. So yes, they used the taps. :) Some other local places are still selling takeaway draught.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:28 pm

They both just had a few days where they said bring a container, £2 a pint or something. So yes, they used the taps. :) Some other local places are still selling takeaway draught.
My mate just got pissed a lot with the neighbours either side of his pub with plenty of BBQs and free beer. Staying in their own gardens BTW. He's received lots of cooked dinners and cakes passed back over the wall in thanks.

The villagers will remember that and will fill his beer gardens when it reopens shortly.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:28 pm

A few places have done that to great effect and unfortunately not round by me, but it seems to be dependent on the view point of the local authority. We were in our local pub and two days before the lockdown when the local authority phoned the landlord up and was surprised they were still open and trading :roll: The same local authority took 4 weeks to “approve” the local pubs to diversify into take away food outlets whilst prioritising a select few who got approval within hours :roll:

Pubs a short drive away in another authority and up by my parents have been doing beer on tap for a little while after lockdown and were doing a good trade until they ran out 8-)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

A few pubs may have managed to sell off their beer. But that doesn’t mean there are deliveries ready to be made to them.

There were apparently 70m stale pints to be disposed of on 15 May: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... oronavirus

Just saying they can reopen on 22 June does not mean pubs will have anything to sell. As far as I’m aware they were gearing up for 4 July.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:43 pm
😂. They've all taken on 25k loans so we'll be paying no doubt.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:07 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:43 pm

😂. They've all taken on 25k loans so we'll be paying no doubt.
Woah. Back up. Who said anything about a loan?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Read this Guardian article today about modelling by Independent Sage.

Interesting their thoughts regarding Germany:

"it looks as if the low German fatality rate is not due to their superior testing capacity, but rather to the fact that the average German is less likely to get infected and die than the average Brit. Why? There are various possible explanations, but one that looks increasingly likely is that Germany has more immunological “dark matter” – people who are impervious to infection, perhaps because they are geographically isolated or have some kind of natural resistance. "
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:07 pm A few pubs may have managed to sell off their beer. But that doesn’t mean there are deliveries ready to be made to them.

There were apparently 70m stale pints to be disposed of on 15 May: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... oronavirus

Just saying they can reopen on 22 June does not mean pubs will have anything to sell. As far as I’m aware they were gearing up for 4 July.
Anyone opening before the 4th July will either be doing incredibly well or is a bit suspicious. I think that most pubs will open after the 4th July for those reasons you stated regardless of what the government decide tomorrow because it’s clearly a long lead time for most brewers and suppliers.