Coronavirus

NotoriousREV

Re: Coronavirus

Post by NotoriousREV »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:52 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:32 pm Just to answer my own question of earlier - NASUWT has 300,000 members so the survey results are based on <10% responding ("nearly" 29,000). I can't find the actual published survey results on NASUWT's site though.
Statistically speaking, with a population size of 300,000, to get an accurate result with a 5% margin of error you only need a sample size of 384, so with a sample size of 29,000, that’s a good indicator of the feeling of the union membership. Even general election polls only use sample sizes of a couple 1000 people.
Yeah, I wasn't implying anything by that really. More setting the wider context.
I know, I just wanted to add to the context 😉

Incidentally, the margin of error on 29,000 out of a population of 300,000 is 0.55%
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:38 pm Surely it makes more sense to keep schools closed until the summer holidays and see if we’re in a better position when they’re due to go back for the new year?
Or arguably it also makes sense to re-open primary schools (for young children where there's evidence to point to low transission rates) for the very youngest (save for Yr 6) for the short period that there is prior to the summer break, to better understand the potential effects of reopening schools in a wider sense? What if we still don't have much evidence to go off by the time we reach Sept, and we reopen fully? Surely better to have some idea before what is essentially the summer lockdown period.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:57 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Statistically speaking, with a population size of 300,000, to get an accurate result with a 5% margin of error you only need a sample size of 384, so with a sample size of 29,000, that’s a good indicator of the feeling of the union membership. Even general election polls only use sample sizes of a couple 1000 people.
Yeah, I wasn't implying anything by that really. More setting the wider context.
I know, I just wanted to add to the context 😉

Incidentally, the margin of error on 29,000 out of a population of 300,000 is 0.55%
That's quite interesting actually. I'd actually (perhaps because I'm overly cynical) thought that there was more chance of the stats being skewed, as only those teachers with an especially anti-Gov't stance might have been keen enough to respond. Again, no idea on the timescales for response, the only context being that it was a "snap" poll.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Scottish kids won’t be back til post the summer holidays I suspect!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I see lockdown has been cancelled at the seaside. Here's the view from my parents' house today, the playing field that's used for overflow parking.

My parents are in their seventies, and although they're not 100% self-isolating, they are genuinely scared to go out when there's this many people travelling from who-knows-where and coming into the village just because they fancy a day out.

IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg (104.9 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Popped in to the office tonight for the first time in about 8 weeks to empty my locker and pick-up some bits and pieces. City bypass was practically empty which was nice although amazingly, there were still some fvcktards out who were driving like they were on the dodgems. Driving for more than 10 minutes on big roads with actual roundabouts and traffic lights felt incredibly strange.

Office was nearly deserted but has now been setup for social distancing with lots of one-way directional arrows and reminders for people to "not sit here" or loiter. Well weird.
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I genuinely don't know when I'll next see the office. January at the earliest is my best guess. As I've said before, we've been told we can WFH 100% till the end of December - at least that's the current guidance. If this thing drags on I guess they'll push that date further and further back.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:52 pm I see lockdown has been cancelled at the seaside. Here's the view from my parents' house today, the playing field that's used for overflow parking.

My parents are in their seventies, and although they're not 100% self-isolating, they are genuinely scared to go out when there's this many people travelling from who-knows-where and coming into the village just because they fancy a day out.

IMG_2844.jpg
Does anyone on here know someone behaving like this and going for grand days out at the seaside or equivalent? If so, What’s their logic?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Simon

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Really?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

So whoever bought those bonds expects actual deflation? Wow, is it time for bitcoin to come of age? 😂
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Oh cool, we’re short selling national economies now :lol:
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:07 pm Oh cool, we’re short selling national economies now :lol:
Well, the economy will be just re-opening just as the second wave and Brexit hit. Something to look forward to.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

On a more positive note, I hope this is true:

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:52 pm I see lockdown has been cancelled at the seaside. Here's the view from my parents' house today, the playing field that's used for overflow parking.

IMG_2844.jpg
Does anyone on here know someone behaving like this and going for grand days out at the seaside or equivalent? If so, What’s their logic?
Portobello Beach and Promenade were rammed yesterday. And we've not relaxed our rules up here - should still be essential travel. Obviously it was properly scorchio yesterday, but I can't help think people are just taking their instruction from the English media tbh. Or they've had enough...
Cheers,

Mike.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Ascender wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:08 am
Orange Cola wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 pm

IMG_2844.jpg
Portobello Beach and Promenade were rammed yesterday. And we've not relaxed our rules up here - should still be essential travel. Obviously it was properly scorchio yesterday, but I can't help think people are just taking their instruction from the English media tbh. Or they've had enough...

the latter..
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That must be that famous blitz spirit we’ve all heard about.

A couple of weeks knocking around the house and we’re happy to risk a new outbreak for a wee day at the beach :lol:
73F2EE21-BCBA-4163-B1B9-5F34ED27DBDA.jpeg
73F2EE21-BCBA-4163-B1B9-5F34ED27DBDA.jpeg (122.64 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Who took the photo though!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

And also, who the fuck would want to sit on a beach that crowded, corona or not?!!!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The thing is vit d and uv rays kills it so theyll all be fine