Coronavirus

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Matty »

Simon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:07 am I think transgressors should be shot on site. No second chances. We need to be doing Darwin's work for him.
TBH anyone who flouts the rules should be billed if they need NHS care. If it can be proven they've exposed other family members, they should be billed for their care too.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:33 pm
duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:18 pm These stats are annoying. They're giving 765 'new' deaths in England, but apparently only 140 occurred yesterday, the rest seem to be scattered around March and April. It's difficult to compare.
They're very hard to interpret - there is always a dip at the weekends because reporting goes down then a bump on Mon/Tues as weekend deaths go into the system. I think you have to look at a week's average to make any sense of it.
Some of these numbers are weeks old though.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Percentages - funny game.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... world.html

In total, 1,496,055 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed around the world, of which 336,780 people have recovered according to Johns Hopkins University.

Another 88,981 people have been confirmed to have died from the disease.

That means roughly 23 per cent of diagnosed coronavirus patients have recovered from the illness.

However, the true figure is likely to be much higher because some countries are only testing coronavirus patients who require hospital treatment.

Right then so out of 1,496,055 around 88,981 have died which is errr 5.95 ish percent??? Is this whole thing over egged? :D
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Broccers wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:13 pm Percentages - funny game.

In total, 1,496,055 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed around the world, of which 336,780 people have recovered according to Johns Hopkins University.

That means roughly 23 per cent of diagnosed coronavirus patients have recovered from the illness.

However, the true figure is likely to be much higher because some countries are only testing coronavirus patients who require hospital treatment.

Right then so out of 1,496,055 around 88,981 have died which is errr 5.95 ish percent??? Is this whole thing over egged? :D
That's based on only testing the worst and we know that lots of cases have little or no symptoms.

I'm waiting for the antibody test to arrive and blow the shit out of that figure to less than 1%.

Can we then line the media up against the wall?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Based on nearly 1.5m confirmed cases and 337k recovered, only 22.5% have got better. Over 70% still have it :shock:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Yes the presented figures in the media are utter scaremongering.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:48 pm

That's based on only testing the worst and we know that lots of cases have little or no symptoms.

I'm waiting for the antibody test to arrive and blow the shit out of that figure to less than 1%.

Then you won't like this article click
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:48 pm

Korea’s extensive testing says otherwise - they have tested 1% of their population, over 350,000 people and only 10,000 confirmed positive. I expect when the antibody tests finally arrives there will be lots of red faces and much fewer covid immune people than expected.
How about not having a sig at all?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I'm still very much of the understanding that CV was smashing through much of the population in late Jan and certainly in Feb....first confirmed death was end of Feb(Source) how many had been before that? Bear in mind that during flu season any CV cases wouldn't have been tested as such, they'd have been labelled as flu/pneumonia.

Add on the fact that it seems that quite a few could be asymptomatic; China reported 5% of those *tested* were asymptomatic and the CDCP are reporting 25% (source)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I doubt we'll ever know the full truth, it is fascinating watching it ( the known cases anyway ) travel around the world.

I'm not sure the deadly strain could have been here that long as you'd have thought the death figures would have jumped up as soon as they realised it was here and started testing people in hospital with symptoms / dieing, but it wasnt, it was a gradual build like everywhere else in the world once they started getting confirmed cases.

The problem with diagnosing it early is the symptoms match so many other general 'bugs' that it's very hard to tell what's covid and what's not.

I don't care whether the overall death rate means it's 'just flu' it is a nasty virus and can really knock the stuffing out of anyone.

My mrs is 46, and a bit sturdy, but pretty representative of the general middle age population of the uk has been virtually bedbound since last Thursday, barely able to make it a few steps to the bathroom without gasping for breath and is now spending her second night in hospital on a drip and oxygen.

If the death rate was 1%, many people would happily say yeah, decent odds, I'll take my chances. If someone came up to you with a bag of 100 m&ms and said they're just m&ms but one of them will kill you, would you take a sweet or would you say no thank you and avoid the risk?
Cheers, Harry
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:( Get well soon Mrs 'evo.
mik

Post by mik »

nuttinnew wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:11 am :( Get well soon Mrs 'evo.
Very much this. Best wishes HarryFamily.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Thanks, I'm sure she'll be fine, there had been signs of improvement but worryingly slow. I was surprised they didn't keep her in last time.

Hopefully I'll get some sleep knowing she's in safe hands as the last few days have been mentally and physically pretty tough going.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

You will awake with TEH STRENGTH OF TEN MEN.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

mik wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:46 am You will awake with TEH STRENGTH OF TEN MEN.
+10

Let’s go HarryFamily HarryFamily let’s go!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Harry, best wishes to your wife; I know I’d be worried sick if mine was in ICU. Thinking of you.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

All of the above really. Hope she gets well soon!!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Coaster1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:47 am
mik wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:46 am You will awake with TEH STRENGTH OF TEN MEN.
+10

Let’s go HarryFamily HarryFamily let’s go!
+10
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
evostick

Post by evostick »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:38 am Thanks, I'm sure she'll be fine, there had been signs of improvement but worryingly slow. I was surprised they didn't keep her in last time.

Hopefully I'll get some sleep knowing she's in safe hands as the last few days have been mentally and physically pretty tough going.
I'd be in a right state if it were my mrs. All the best with it.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

All the best to MrsHarry!
Middle-aged Dirtbag