Coronavirus

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yep. Still using our 11yo 42" plasma for main TV. I just think it's a common misconception.

Then again I do believe in "buy cheap, pay twice". Most stuff we buy we spend a bit more on but tend to find it lasts well. Washung machine and fridge/freezer are both 18yo as well. Kitchen TV is 10yo.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Same here - 13 year old Panasonic G15 Plasma which is as good as the day we bought it - not lost a single pixel - not one!

It pre-dates all of the Smart TV stuff but SkyQ bridges that gap.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Panny Plasmas were the dogs though - We ended up buying 3 in total and all of them lasted at least 7 years and still looked great for SD stuff.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

The only problem with the plasmas is they never could quite get to the same energy efficiency ratings as the LED stuff, so someone in corporate TV land decided on our behalf that we didn’t want them any more.

Mine is an LED and 7 years old, it’s got shadows on the screen where I suspect the other half has paused the TV and left it like that for a few hours whilst she goes and does some gardening, apparently I’m the one to blame when I pick her up on it or go and turn the TV off when she’s not watching it and it’s sat with a still image on it. I’m reluctant to buy another nice TV because of that habit...
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Matty wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:36 am Panny Plasmas were the dogs though - We ended up buying 3 in total and all of them lasted at least 7 years and still looked great for SD stuff.
We bought a couple of old Panny Vieras off eBay for £50 each for the kids bedrooms (a 42” and a 32”). They’re awesome.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I was one of the ones who bought a Panasonic plasma years ago after someone on this forum posted a deal for them. Only got rid of it about 18 months ago.
Cheers,

Mike.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

unzippy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:39 am
Apparently that's why the latest red Weber BBQ was manufactured in China - the process/chemicals involved wouldn't have been allowed in the US.
If you post that on the Facebook they'll be blaming Red Webers for spreading the virus 😂
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

The spread of Covid-19 is based on two factors:

1) How dense the population is
2) How dense the population is

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

What a melon 🙄
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Just watching news about them putting screens up in london buses between driver and passenger and boarding via the middle doors. I was only wondering the other night how so many london bus drivers had died from it and assumed it was contact with other parts of the bus not a lack of screens.

Now I haven't been on a bus for probably well over 10yrs but I'm sure buses up here in Manchester all had screens closing off the drivers cab. :?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve spent most my life travelling on London buses and they have a screen already. The drivers cab is locked off entirely.
There’s small holes in the screen though so you can communicate through it and one at the bottom for back when they took change.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I don’t think I’ve ever been on a bus without a screen closing off the cab and only a small opening at the bottom for change and tickets to pass through.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

There was a guy on the radio saying you can get the drivers stoned by blowing spliff smoke on the top deck over them as that's where their air comes from. Would imagine disease too.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

[mention]Swervin_Mervin[/mention]

I’ve had the letter for vulnerable people telling me to register. On the .gov site after asking my name, address and NHS number it move to asking about dietary requirements and if someone at home can take the food package inside. I can’t see any way to opt out of that. Did your wife just send off the application anyway?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:01 pm @Swervin_Mervin

I’ve had the letter for vulnerable people telling me to register. On the .gov site after asking my name, address and NHS number it move to asking about dietary requirements and if someone at home can take the food package inside. I can’t see any way to opt out of that. Did your wife just send off the application anyway?
Yes. If we get a box and don't need it we just plan to donate either to local neighbours or foodbank.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Cheers, but of an oversight but I guess there’s no way around it!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Our small business grant from the local authority is apparently being transferred today, for anyone who thought that it may take a while. Get on and claim it if you are eligible.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:36 pm Our small business grant from the local authority is apparently being transferred today, for anyone who thought that it may take a while. Get on and claim it if you are eligible.
Do you have to pay it back or is it just a free 10 grand?
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Carlos wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:00 pm What a melon 🙄
You spelt utter cunt wrong.
Cheers.

Gwaredd