Coronavirus

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Ascender »

Encouraging news about Boris then, he’s not on a ventilator and doesn’t have pneumonia.
Cheers,

Mike.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Big jump in deaths today. 854 in a day.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

There was an article on't beeb the other day about being careful about interpreting the numbers, as weekend deaths don't always get processed till later in the week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52167016

So worth remembering that.

Edit: actually today. I'm not handling isolation well :lol:
Last edited by Beany on Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Same as last week, weekends figures always seem low followed by a jump, I guess due to differences in reporting and registering deaths in different areas.

Yesterday's 400 odd sounded low given the way figures had been climbing and the peak isn't expected until this coming weekend.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t know how they’re counting here but the last 3 weeks there’s always been a reduction on Sunday and Monday and then a spike on Tuesday which tells me it’s more about data collection and the press should stop thinking we’ve flattened the curve every Monday...
How about not having a sig at all?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:48 pm Big jump in deaths today. 854 in a day.
However a large drop in the number of new infections. % points wise we are much lower than we were 2 weeks ago.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Broccers wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:31 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/worl ... virus.html

Interesting.
Enough optimism for raab to mention the clinical trials of existing drugs and giving patient numbers trialing them. It’s positive that this is happening and has got this far. Yes, I am trying to stay positive during this.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:54 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:18 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:44 am And their best effort to fuck up the environment. Fuck em.
making shit for us over there that we use so we can pretend we’re not fucking up our environment over here.
Part of making things cheaply is to not give a fuck about the environment so forcing the Chinese to sort this out may drive up prices but as they improve things any sanctions/tariffs can be reduced in line with the improvements.

We will as a population just have to get used to paying a bit more for things.
Apparently that's why the latest red Weber BBQ was manufactured in China - the process/chemicals involved wouldn't have been allowed in the US.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

unzippy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:39 am
drcarlos wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:54 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:18 pm making shit for us over there that we use so we can pretend we’re not fucking up our environment over here.
Part of making things cheaply is to not give a fuck about the environment so forcing the Chinese to sort this out may drive up prices but as they improve things any sanctions/tariffs can be reduced in line with the improvements.

We will as a population just have to get used to paying a bit more for things.
Apparently that's why the latest red Weber BBQ was manufactured in China - the process/chemicals involved wouldn't have been allowed in the US.
That's interesting and illustrates the point quite well.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Its an interesting thing to consider, how could big companies move out of China. For someone like Weber, maybe they could redesign some stuff and manufacture in the US? But for companies like Apple & Samsung, the scale of their supply chain operations in China are just mind-boggling. Which obviously comes back to consumer demand and pricing, but its a massive sea-change if companies really are going to reduce their reliance on China.
Cheers,

Mike.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Electronics companies would invest heavily in automation if it wasn’t cheaper to hire Chinese workers.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

If phones were designed and built to last longer that would help. It is amazing in my lifetime how the life span of toasters, kettles, TVs etc has dropped hugely. We had two TVs from the time I was 1 to the time I left home and my brother inherited one of those TVs from my parents.

In my wee village we had three ambulances yesterday all at one house, a lady who works in ASDA, just now another one appeared across the road form me, an elderly couple. Two guys wearing masks and aprons and carrying what I assume o be vitals monitor. :(
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

There's just as much chance that China will come out of this crisis first (already is), and get a headstart and a bigger manufacturing foothold. I'm not sure I see much liklihood that we'll rely on China less after this.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am There's just as much chance that China will come out of this crisis first (already is), and get a headstart and a bigger manufacturing foothold. I'm not sure I see much liklihood that we'll rely on China less after this.
Our relationship with China won't change one bit.

Firstly, most people have short memories. Secondly, everyone loves a bargain. And lastly, most people underestimate just how intertwined we have become with them, not just from consumer products perspective but across many, many industries including strategic construction projects and developments.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:16 am If phones were designed and built to last longer that would help. It is amazing in my lifetime how the life span of toasters, kettles, TVs etc has dropped hugely. We had two TVs from the time I was 1 to the time I left home and my brother inherited one of those TVs from my parents.
I'm pretty satisfied with how long my phone lasts - for something so powerful, that I use all day long, drop fairly often, etc I think it’s phenomenal how well built they are. Comparing it to a tv that sits in the same spot every day isn’t really fair.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 am
Gavin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:16 am If phones were designed and built to last longer that would help. It is amazing in my lifetime how the life span of toasters, kettles, TVs etc has dropped hugely. We had two TVs from the time I was 1 to the time I left home and my brother inherited one of those TVs from my parents.
I'm pretty satisfied with how long my phone lasts - for something so powerful, that I use all day long, drop fairly often, etc I think it’s phenomenal how well built they are. Comparing it to a tv that sits in the same spot every day isn’t really fair.
Fair point about the phone, I wasn't really comparing it to the TVs though, just musing on the fact TVs were pretty much something one kept until they were broken beyond repair and now seem to be changed fairly regularly.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:43 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 am
Fair point about the phone, I wasn't really comparing it to the TVs though, just musing on the fact TVs were pretty much something one kept until they were broken beyond repair and now seem to be changed fairly regularly.
Because the tech is moving on, my old 32inch Toshiba from the early 2000s still works fine (I gave it to a mate Years ago who has it in his bedroom)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s all down to personal choice isn’t it? The rate at which technology improves is also exponential so this is something that will only get worse.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I’ve had my TV for about 10 years and it was the first tv I ever actually bought. I’ll probably change it at the end of this year as the new games consoles come out and move more to 4K.

I’ll keep the old one though, probably move it to the spare room with my old consoles.
An absolute unit