Coronavirus

dinny_g

Re: Coronavirus

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Even the Tory press are hammering the Tories management of this, I realise a lot of you are to the right but it is worrying you are still bringing Corbyn and Abbot into it.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

So presumably there’s a “plan” to get everybody tested asap, with some sort of DIY test so they can start to work out who has it and who has had it?
Cheers,

Mike.
Foz

Post by Foz »

125,000 NHS workers in isolation with 2,000 tests 😰
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavin wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am Even the Tory press are hammering the Tories management of this, I realise a lot of you are to the right but it is worrying you are still bringing Corbyn and Abbot into it.
I don't think anyone suggested criticism wasn't due. Just not the unbalanced jaundiced type ;) Besides, as soon as you brought "Tory" into it, rahther than "the Government" it was you that politicised it and naturally dragged the oppositition and, by extension potential Gov't as was, into it.

FWIW I think they're absolutely right to be getting a hammering about the issue of testing - it does appear to be a massive shambolic fuck up and blaming a shortage of chemicals when you clearly run the risk of those chemical companies calling you out is a fecking stupid thing to do.

However, I don't think they've done too badly in other respects e.g. Nightingale Hospital completed in such a short timescale (and others online soon elsewhere), I think the distancing message and gradual lockdown has seemed reasonable, many of the bailout/support measures also. It feels to me like we've handled it much better than many other countries, but only time will really tell. Criticising them for not getting it 100% perfect first time is retarded.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ascender wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 am So presumably there’s a “plan” to get everybody tested asap, with some sort of DIY test so they can start to work out who has it and who has had it?
But as the expert above says you cant do a reliable antibody test and send the imunne back out to work until typically 28 days.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:56 am
Gavin wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am Even the Tory press are hammering the Tories management of this, I realise a lot of you are to the right but it is worrying you are still bringing Corbyn and Abbot into it.
I don't think anyone suggested criticism wasn't due. Just not the unbalanced jaundiced type ;)

FWIW I think they're absolutely right to be getting a hammering about the issue of testing - it does appear to be a massive shambolic fuck up and blaming a shortage of chemicals when you clearly run the risk of those chemical companies calling you out is a fecking stupid thing to do.

However, I don't think they've done too badly in other respects e.g. Nightingale Hospital completed in such a short timescale (and others online soon elsewhere), I think the distancing message and gradual lockdown has seemed reasonable, many of the bailout/support measures also. It feels to me like we've handled it much better than many other countries, but only time will really tell. Criticising them for not getting it 100% perfect first time is retarded.
Agree with Mike, and god knows I've criticised the Tories enough recently not be be accused of bias. I even resigned from the party myself.

The only real errors have been Dominic Cummings' initial attempt to ignore things and rely on herd immunity, which was proven the wrong strategy within a day so not much time lost; and the slow pace of increasing testing. Apparently Cummings is now in favour of a more strict lockdown but it is Boris who says no to that, to protect people's freedom. I mentioned earlier that it's a shame we didn't start social distancing measures sooner but to be honest, I don't think it would have made much difference to the number of people out and about in practice.

Reminds me, I must write myself a letter from my employer to say I'm a key worker. Get Out Of Jail Free card, that...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Had a chat with me neighbour (who is also my predecessor at work, interestingly :lol: ) and his thoughts were more about the unintended consequences; he works for an online shop and trade has been very good lately, obviously. However, he's thinking that people getting bored, not working, buying things on credit cards will come back to bite hard in some three to six months - particularly if we go through another round of lockdown and furlough.

For the moment, I'm just keeping my head down and doing telecoms stuff. Keeps me busy enough at least.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Has anyone tried to obtain a 3-month mortgage holiday? Seems to be very easy indeed, no questions asked. I also applied for the £10k small business grant yesterday and that should be arriving within the week. Might not need these currently but I want to build up a war chest now.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:11 pm Has anyone tried to obtain a 3-month mortgage holiday? Seems to be very easy indeed, no questions asked. I also applied for the £10k small business grant yesterday and that should be arriving within the week. Might not need these currently but I want to build up a war chest now.
Yeah, did it today, no questions asked. I was the only one asking questions as I obviously want to minimise the amount of time I accrue extra interest. Can take three months, cut it short any time and 'overpay' in the normal way if you feel you're able.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Well we have half the self isolation 7 v 14 that the WHO suggests, it is the constant lies and demonstrable lies I find unpalatable, although God knows I should be used to them.

I didn't politicize this thread though, that was done pages ago, and it should be politicised as the more you look at the sound bites about the measures brought in the more quickly the unravel.

"the only real errors"??? We could have a go at listing them but whether or not anyone else would do better is irrelevant, nobody else is in charge.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Eddie Large has died from it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

And he contracted it in hospital, ironically. It was always likely this sort of thing would happen.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:11 pm Has anyone tried to obtain a 3-month mortgage holiday? Seems to be very easy indeed, no questions asked. I also applied for the £10k small business grant yesterday and that should be arriving within the week. Might not need these currently but I want to build up a war chest now.
Provided our business details for the SB grant last week but yet to hear anything further. I wouldn't hold your breath on anything happening quickly.

Wife registered last week on the Gov't website as a high risk person and only yesterday received a text saying that her registration had been received. It now needs to be confirmed by NHS England, before she can then go on the list provided to supermarkets etc. I expect that will take another couple of weeks... :roll: And here's why centralised NHS records absolutely should be in place - this exercise should be a simply database lookup and hit print ffs.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:55 pm
Provided our business details for the SB grant last week but yet to hear anything further. I wouldn't hold your breath on anything happening quickly.

Wife registered last week on the Gov't website as a high risk person and only yesterday received a text saying that her registration had been received. It now needs to be confirmed by NHS England, before she can then go on the list provided to supermarkets etc. I expect that will take another couple of weeks... :roll: And here's why centralised NHS records absolutely should be in place - this exercise should be a simply database lookup and hit print ffs.
Whats the benefit of registering as high risk?
evostick

Post by evostick »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm Eddie Large has died from it.
He had a heart transplant back in 2003 and was in hospital with heart failure. His son says he caught the bug whilst there but interestingly at present the bbc aren't quoting the son.

RIP anyway unfunny comedian.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Shenzhen becomes first Chinese city to ... a-52131940

So are cats and dogs wildlife meat which can transmit corona? :lol:

Also
“ However, at the same time as this ruling, China approved the use of bear bile to treat coronavirus patients.
Bear bile - a digestive fluid drained from living captive bears - has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine.
The active ingredient, ursodeoxycholic acid, is used to dissolve gallstones and treat liver disease. But there is no proof that it is effective against the coronavirus and the process is painful and distressing for the animals ”

Jesus fvcking Christ :shock:
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

scotta wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:01 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Whats the benefit of registering as high risk?
You can get on the priority list for home delivery slots for supermarkets. Also means that if you can't get out you can get boxes of essential goods delivered that have been provided by the Gov't. Unless you're in Rochdale where they seem to think that means lots of chocolate and biscuits and just the one apple! :lol:

It also makes sure that the appropriate NHS records that may be referred to in the worst case are correct as far as I can tell. The letters and texts that they were supposed to issue haven't materialised for some people (wife included) which wold suggest that many are slipping through the cracks. THere's also plently of reports of letters received for people that died a long time ago. Again, all points back to the shambolic state of our NHS records.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Good point, the NHS record keeping/filing is hilariously bad in normal times.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:03 am In the middle of this massive global crisis, the media continue to clearly demonstrate that they are not here to report facts, but instead exist to sell us stories.

This is very good and so true.