Coronavirus

Simon

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Simon »

The wife's Grandma passed away overnight, in Brazil. Not Coronavirus related maybe, but the wife is devastated as the virus means that we can't travel out there to see the family.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm sure I read somewhere that the average time for a person to be on a ventilator in icu was 3-4 days, with corona the average is 11-21 days
Cheers, Harry
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Sorry to hear that [mention]Simon[/mention].

My wife’s friend is a trauma doc in London and is pretty panicked about what she’s seeing and says things are going to get a lot worse before they get any better based on what she’s seen these last few days.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s a real shit show :(

Italy with the hammering they have taken are on 10,000 deaths so far, our best case scenario predicts 20,000.
Then you’ll have a generation of doctors and nurses with mental health problems which will be a lifetime problem.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Really sorry to hear that Simon... :(
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

As long as it's southerner's it's all OK, hun?

Of course RIP to ppl who are directly effected.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:12 pm It’s a real shit show :(

Italy with the hammering they have taken are on 10,000 deaths so far, our best case scenario predicts 20,000.
Then you’ll have a generation of doctors and nurses with mental health problems which will be a lifetime problem.
Bullshit.

I'm not saying that they're not doing a difficult job, of course they are. But when you look at the numbers..

2017/18 there were apparently 50,000 excess winter deaths in England & Wales due to the predominant strain of flu not being in the vaccine that year. Before that 2014/15 when there were 43,000 deaths due to it. 1975/76 was the worst in recent times with 58,000 odd.

They just get on with it as it's behind closed doors. The difference here is that the system will be seen to fail due to the short timescale of events/capacity and that can't be allowed to happen because people will lose faith in the system.

At some future point, someone may add up just what it has cost to keep a number of predominantly older, sick people alive a bit longer during this pandemic. I'd imagine that on average it's going to be well outside current NHS parameters for return on investment/value for money.

I'm not judging here. But saying docs will get PTSD from watching folk die is nonsense imho. The real stress here is coming from the hype.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah you’re right, it’s not like they’re up there with the highest suicide rate are they.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Girlfriend's Dad died on Monday. He went in with corona symptoms but tested negative. Died a few days later, they had a look over him again and concluded it was pneumonia.

Arranging a funeral at the moment is an absolute fucking nightmare. Current attendance is expected to be three for a 30 minute slot at a local crematorium :( Only thing we can do is get that formality over and then have a proper bash for him once this virus business is all over, whenever that'll be. He was the kind of guy that would say 'The situation is what it is, don't worry, just give me proper send off in a few months' but she's gutted she can't do a proper funeral for him now.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:36 pm Yeah you’re right, it’s not like they’re up there with the highest suicide rate are they.
will this change that?
evostick

Post by evostick »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:36 pm Yeah you’re right, it’s not like they’re up there with the highest suicide rate are they.
I have no idea. Why do you think an entire generation of them is suddenly going to get mentally ill though?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That was a sarcastic comment, nurses and doctors have the highest suicide rates. They also have the highest PTSD rates, especially those working in trauma. It was just something which came to mind after reading that 2 nurses in Italy committed suicide.
It’s not something that’s going to get better that’s for sure.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:45 pm It was just something which came to mind..
No shit.
evostick

Post by evostick »

240PP wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:37 pm Girlfriend's Dad died on Monday.
Sorry to hear that. Especially during this difficult time.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks Mike and Dinny, and sorry to hear about your GF's Dad 240pp.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Sorry for tour loss [mention]Simon[/mention], we’re in a similar situation just now.

My grandad is being isolated in a hospital in Arizona after having stroke. We weren’t sure if he was going to pull through and were gutted that we might not be able to say goodbye but he’s still going so hopefully he makes it to the medevac.

Whether we’ll be able to see him if/when he gets home is another story.
An absolute unit
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Trump is setting himself up for a fall and unfortunately at the cost of lives.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sorry for your losses Simon, 240pp.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

evostick wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:52 pm
240PP wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:37 pm Girlfriend's Dad died on Monday.
Sorry to hear that. Especially during this difficult time.
Yeah echo that. Condolences.. :(
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Simon, 240pp; I'm sorry to hear that, my condolences :(

ZedLeg; I hope things work out ok.