Post by Broccers »

Altho being locked down if you dont want a jab is a really good idea
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:05 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:17 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:09 am What I would like to know is are they actively looking for more scary varients
New variants, yes. There are virologists looking at viruses all the time which is how COVID19 was identified in the first place. The 'scary' part is spin put on it by the Daily Mail et al.
You mean 99 percent of news outlets that want to sell clicks and CRISIS FEAR!!!!
Yeah, the ones you seem to take as gospel :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:51 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:05 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:17 pm New variants, yes. There are virologists looking at viruses all the time which is how COVID19 was identified in the first place. The 'scary' part is spin put on it by the Daily Mail et al.
You mean 99 percent of news outlets that want to sell clicks and CRISIS FEAR!!!!
Yeah, the ones you seem to take as gospel :lol:
Daily mail links only posted here to wind up the easy to wind up. :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Click the tweet to read the thread.

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

If you refuse the vaccine, then you should lose the right to treatment.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Simon

Post by Simon »

Or at the least deprioritise them in hospitals.

Not as in prioritise those who were vaxxed, but....:

Mr un-vaxxed's third day in ICU? Sorry champ, we're going to unplug you, we need this mains socket for the coffee maker.

<flatline>
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

It would certainly test their metal if that were the case. How brave are you feeling now?
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

While I have no sympathy for anti-vaxxers, if you broke your leg while out MTBing do you think it would be reasonable for the NHS to deprioritise you because you were engaging in a risky hobby?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Theoretically - Yes IMO

But in your analogy, the NHS wouldn't deprioritise you because you were engaging in a risky hobby, they would deprioritise you because you were un-vaccinated. It's a matter of choice. You choose to remain unvaccinated, you choose to go mountain biking but those choices are not without consequence.

But lets face it, that's unlikely to happen - I mean we're not Germany ... ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:18 am While I have no sympathy for anti-vaxxers, if you broke your leg while out MTBing do you think it would be reasonable for the NHS to deprioritise you because you were engaging in a risky hobby?
I've seen this counter-argument a lot, but it's not a fair analogy. There is no vaccine against breaking a leg on a MTB. To break your leg is analogous to catching covid in the first place, not to be vaccinated or not. Anyone 'could' catch Covid. How much support you then need is closely linked with whether you are vaxxed or not.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

What about if you get malaria on holiday because you didn't get vaccinated, come home and go to hospital? I was making a flippant analogy connected to Pegleg's historic leg injury, btw. The point is that the NHS simply does not discriminate and that is absolutely the right way for them to be.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:09 am What about if you get malaria on holiday because you didn't get vaccinated, come home and go to hospital? I was making a flippant analogy connected to Pegleg's historic leg injury, btw. The point is that the NHS simply does not discriminate and that is absolutely the right way for them to be.
Quite.

Not flu jabbed this winter? Fvck you then. Smoke? Sorry but you'll have to gasp for air outside. Alcohol related issues?

The list could go on. You cannot have a national, free to all health service that discriminates in such a way.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I'd also say my leg analogy was perfectly valid - it was about whether the patient voluntarily took the risk which led to their hospitalisation. In fact, not being vaccinated is a passive thing and taking part in dangerous sports is an active decision so perhaps choosing to do something risky means you should be lower priority than those who through inactivity end up being higher risk?

Bloody good thing the NHS doesn't discriminate, isn't it? Imagine having to fill in a form when your leg is hanging off in A&E, to state whether you got run over on your commute or whether you came off on a gnarly berm.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The NHS doesn't discriminate but they do have to prioritise...

If an MTB's mangles his leg on a downhill run and arrived at A&E at the same time as little old Dotty who had a fall on the way to the shops, they'll treat Dotty first.

If Anti-Vax Jeff arrives in Hospital with Covid and is struggling to breath at the same time as vaccinated Dave who needs the ICU bed due to his cancer, I'd give the bed to Dave every day of the week.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:18 am While I have no sympathy for anti-vaxxers, if you broke your leg while out MTBing do you think it would be reasonable for the NHS to deprioritise you because you were engaging in a risky hobby?
If there was a Worldwide spate of people breaking their legs whilst mountainbiking that caused such a shortage of hospital beds that meant others couldn't get treated, and it was such a dire situation that the Worlds Governments rallied to bring a vaccine to stop the legs breaking to such a degree that you didn't need hospitalisation when you did fall off, but I refused to take that vaccine and still went out on my bike, fell off and broke my leg that required me to need a hospital bed, then yes. I do believe I should be refused treatment or deprioritised. 100%.

In reality, I wouldn't dream of going out on my bike without the vaccine.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:17 am
Not flu jabbed this winter? Fvck you then. Smoke? Sorry but you'll have to gasp for air outside. Alcohol related issues?
As it happens someone I know who died recently in their early 40s with liver failure (alcoholic) was refused a life saving liver transplant because it was of their own making. Not saying that was wrong, but it appears that it can happen.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Is that completely accurate duncs, or was it that they had to quit the alcohol first (because otherwise the organ would just be wasted)?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Just been for a late shop; many people unmasked, probably the ones parked in the disabled bays.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Wife has finally had her 3rd primary jab today. Should've happened weeks ago but for the shambolic roll out. And she didn't even have to provide any evidence of her history to get it.

Pfizer after a double dose of AZ
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Simon wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:08 pm Is that completely accurate duncs, or was it that they had to quit the alcohol first (because otherwise the organ would just be wasted)?
I don't think there was time for her to quit the alcohol, she went into hospital and was gone within a matter of days AFAIK. However, I'm sure she was known to them and been warned to quit before by doctors etc. I'm sure there are particular circumstances to every case, and perhaps they just knew that it would have been wasted on her. I just know there was a transplant available and she was denied it due to it being 'self inflicted'.