Coronavirus

Simon

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Simon »

Anyway

I keep a pretty close eye on the data. Firstly, the official new case data from the Government site for the last 7 days:

15-06-2021 7,673
14-06-2021 7,742
13-06-2021 7,490
12-06-2021 7,738
11-06-2021 8,125
10-06-2021 7,393
09-06-2021 7,540

See how, apart from the 11th it's more or less 7,500 for the last 7 days. It doesn't quite tally up with the 'doubling every 7-10 days' narrative we've been fed of late.

Also I've been drilling down into the map data and noticed that what seems to happen is that an area has a flare up of cases, then it radiates out from that area, then the area actually returns down again. I think that the Indian/Delta/Johnson variant is hitting a wall of antibodies as it travels across the UK, and this ONS study shows the numbers: (source):

"In England, an estimated 8 in 10 adults, or 80.3% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 77.3% to 83.2%) would have tested positive for antibodies against coronavirus – SARS-CoV-2 – on a blood test in the week beginning 17 May 2021, suggesting they had the infection in the past or have been vaccinated."

So yes, whilst some rise in hospitalisations is baked in from the rise of 1500/day to 7,500/day over the next week or two, I think that the admission rate won't rise up so much as the scientists are fearing, and outcomes from those hospitalisations will be substantially better than 6 months ago.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I think as time is going on it’s getting clearer… the expected 7-14 day lag of admissions following cases has barely happened. I’m getting more confident now.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I see New York and California are lifting restrictions, based on 70% of the populations having had their first vaccination. Anyone not vaccinated still has some restrictions such as wearing a mask, social distancing.

Quite a contrast to the situation here; we have nearly 80% having had their first jab and nearly 60% both jabs and yet we aren't lifting restrictions. Trust Boris to keep getting it wrong; the swept-under-the-carpet (no questions allowed on Monday) issue of the failure to close the border to India, and the delay to lifting restrictions.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

In the last week, infection rates have risen by 39% in the UK but fallen buy 15% in the US...

or are we saying that, due to vaccines, infection rates aren't necessarily the key metric as yeah, more people are getting infected but they're not getting seriously ill anymore - in general ?
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 am or are we saying that, due to vaccines, infection rates aren't necessarily the key metric as yeah, more people are getting infected but they're not getting seriously ill anymore - in general ?
Very much that for me - as vaccination doesn’t prevent you contracting the virus (or then passing it on to those who have not been vaccinated) we should be looking at the outcomes to guide our actions.

If 100% of the nation has the virus, but only 0.1% require hospitalisation, and 0% die….. we need to be opening things up.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

makes sense
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Simon

Post by Simon »

mik wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 am
dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 am or are we saying that, due to vaccines, infection rates aren't necessarily the key metric as yeah, more people are getting infected but they're not getting seriously ill anymore - in general ?
Very much that for me - as vaccination doesn’t prevent you contracting the virus (or then passing it on to those who have not been vaccinated) we should be looking at the outcomes to guide our actions.

It doesn't prevent you contracting it and passing it on, but it vastly reduces the chance of both.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

If it's exactly as it's being reported then it's fucking stupid for UEFA to try and pressure the government into dropping restrictions while we're still dealing with new cases.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Broccers wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:22 am https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-eu ... es-sources

What do we think about this?
Fine with that. It will be a shame for those with Tickets but there you go...

"We'll go win it somewhere else" / "It's not like we'll be in the final anyway" - delete as appropriate. :)

The Guardian are putting a different spin on it - Not "pressure from UEFA" but UK Officials "are doing as much as we possibly can to accommodate"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... at-wembley
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The thing that annoys me is the use of percentages as scare tactics.

My clients are slowly getting back to work so my business is picking up. One of them's furlough bill was 130k a week. Its about time we just got back to normal.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I had my second AatraZenica shot on Friday - wasn't half as bad as the first. I was just a bit weak on Saturday but no aches and pains, no headache and no sore arm.

And now, as I'm officially on the way to full Vaccine coverage can I formally declare "End the lockdown NOW!! It's ludicrous and unnecessary and bankrupting the country. Besides, COVID is just a bit of a cold, not worth getting your knickers in a twist over. Honestly, Bloody Snowflakes..." :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My second jab has been brought forward to this Thursday (three weeks). See how I fare.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

I looked into rebooking my second, but seeing as you have to cancel your second before you can rebook it I can't be bothered, in case I don't get another good slot. I'll just hold out to 12 weeks.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Got me bookings sorted (finally), requested each day off from work because why not?

Expecting to have to fight them to get both days off, even though the first jab is on my birthday...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:13 pm I looked into rebooking my second, but seeing as you have to cancel your second before you can rebook it I can't be bothered, in case I don't get another good slot. I'll just hold out to 12 weeks.
There was tons of availability when I did mine. If you had AZ I'd imagine you'll find the same
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I did the same as Simon - if only they had a function to keep the original booking until you replace it I'd probably rearrange, but since my second is on 9 July it's not far enough away to bother. Moderna vaccine, and with the opening up to ages 18+ I can imagine there's going to be a fair bit of demand for slots.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Had an email from Goodwood that the FoS is going ahead as it’s now part of the pilot events. I rolled over my tickets from last year but the event this year sounds pretty shite from online rumours. No access to paddocks or manufacturer stands, hardly any international stuff. Basically just standing at the side of the road watching cars go by and eating shite overpriced food and drink…
Will wait until a few days before the event to see what’s confirmed otherwise I’ll not bother.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Simon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:13 pm I looked into rebooking my second, but seeing as you have to cancel your second before you can rebook it I can't be bothered, in case I don't get another good slot. I'll just hold out to 12 weeks.
Wasn't asked to cancel, just booked and the confirmation came through.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ah, but did you use the site your GP text you, or did you use the NHS booking site? (I used the later)